Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Shift Panel Bulb 2008 xB

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 03:35 AM

Default Shift Panel Bulb 2008 xB

I recently obtained 2008 xB and the panel where the shift lever is located doesn’t light up when the lights are on.

Has anyone changed out the bulb and is the shift plate held on by clips ? Do you have to take off the shifter to access the bulb ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-15-2017 at 12:20 AM. Reason: typo correction
Old 08-12-2017, 07:32 PM

Hi! Funny enough, I just figured this out myself too recently so I'll do my best to explain.

So to get to the shift indicator bulb, you have to pull off two plates. The outer one where the hazard switch is embedded into is something you can just pry off with a butter knife or a key. I like to start from the top right corner (top left should work just fine) then slide the key underneath the lip all the way to the bottom where it should pop out and you can just tug it outwards. Don't yank it off completely since it'll be connected to the hazard light cable. On top of the hazard light switch just behind the plate is a little notch that keeps the plug locked in so press that down until the plug slides out.

Next is the second plate that shows the shifter indicator. You'll probably want to remove the shifter **** but you can just twist it off counter-clockwise until it comes off. Now with the **** off, you can pull the second plate off from the bottom since that's where the two hooks are. Don't worry if it feels like you're gonna break it! They take a little effort to take off.

Now you should be able to see the shifter bulb inside. This is what tripped me up. After you unhook the wires, you want to twist the bulb socket in whatever direction it'll twist in, gently pull it out and rock the bulb out of its socket.

A regular 2721 bulb from O'Reilly's will fit in here but I put in an LED in there that you can find online. If you do the LED route, be careful with the width. The LED I have is just big enough to not fit snugly but enough to actually carry current so maaaaybe get something like this; 74 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

After that, just twist the socket back in, rehook the wires, pop the center and outer panels on, and twist the **** back on!
Old 08-14-2017, 08:54 PM

Default 'Shift Panel Bulb 2008 xB'

thanks for the great information, went to the dealer for the bulb last week and they sold me the entire wire sub assembly:

wire & bulb together (part # 35906-12290) thanks again and I let you know how it goes !

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-15-2017 at 12:21 AM. Reason: typo correction