Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-ice-interior-1794/)
-   -   Steering Wheel Covers? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-ice-interior-1794/steering-wheel-covers-209048/)

TrevorS 11-03-2011 10:57 PM

I made a point today of noticing my hand positions and I'd say I have three that I alternate between. At roughly 25mph or less I tend to be left hand at 8-9 and right hand fingers touching the shift knob. At higher speeds I tend to be left hand at 8-9 and right at 4-5. If I feel a need to maneuver or traffic patterns concern me, I generally move to the traditional 10-2.

I'm about 5'10" and have the seat raised almost as far as it goes (which also shifts it forward), the wheel fully down, the seat two stops forward from rearmost, and the back several clicks down for a more reclining position. I find that comfortable with the pedals and shift knob pretty optimal. It's basically a cruising position to me, only drawback being the still relatively far reach to the upper half of the wheel -- hence my hand positions :)!

Regarding the 2011/2012 telescoping steering column. Turns out that description is actually misleading. The true telescoping extension relative to the previous years is almost none. The real difference is that it can be moved closer to the dash -- probably useful for heavier and taller people. I was once very interested in that particular change, but after learning about the reality, it interests me not at all.

ScionFred 11-03-2011 11:21 PM

I expect certain issues with an econobox: cheap plastics and upholstery, lack of sound deadening, creaks, squeeks and rattles, etc. but there's no reason why Toyota couldn't get the ergonomics right or at least better than they are. It's really sad that they went to the trouble and expense of adding a telescoping wheel that's essentially useless for anyone but little people.

I've been driving my 93 Subaru Legacy "beater" a lot this past year and every time I hop into the XB the first thing I notice is the long reach for the steering wheel. C'mon Toyota/Scion, you can do better than this.

clifsmith 11-10-2011 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by ScionFred (Post 3932630)
Thanx Trevor. I decided to go with a wheelskins cover in charcoal with red lacing to match my new Clazzios red stitching.

FYI, I ordered it from Wheelskins Outlet for $39.50 shipped. I actually found them on ebay and at numerous other stores for a lot less than buying factory direct.

Good luck lacing it on. I bought the wheelskins one and made 3 attempts at stitching it on. The problem is going around the spokes. They are just too big and I could not get it to lace right in going around them. I finally took it back to pepboys and am going to plunk down the $ for a factory leather wheel. I cannot stand the way this cheap rough plastic feels in my hand. It is the worst. If you have luck getting it on and it looks good, please pass on any lacing tips.

ScionFred 11-10-2011 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by clifsmith (Post 3936059)
Good luck lacing it on. I bought the wheelskins one and made 3 attempts at stitching it on. The problem is going around the spokes. They are just too big and I could not get it to lace right in going around them. I finally took it back to pepboys and am going to plunk down the $ for a factory leather wheel. I cannot stand the way this cheap rough plastic feels in my hand. It is the worst. If you have luck getting it on and it looks good, please pass on any lacing tips.

Now you tell me! ... It's been many years since I laced up a steering wheel cover and from what little I remember it was a major PITA but eventually I got it right. I hope I can get this one right but I'll post the good and bad and any tips I can.

ScionFred 11-12-2011 04:08 AM

I finally got around to installing the new wheel cover and I love it. It feels fantastic and although it doesn't look as good as a factory leather wheel, it looks better than any slip-on cover I've seen. Worth the time and money, IMO.

The one problem I encountered is that the cover width was wider on one side of the seam than the other. You can see this in the photo. I also have a tip for installation; hemostats can help tighten the lacing and hold it tight as you sew.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7908/111111004.jpg

clifsmith 11-16-2011 05:15 PM

Looks good! Hemostats, what a great idea. I still think I am going to save for a factory one though. I had enough with that trying to stitch. I guess I am just not cut out for that.

ScionFred 11-16-2011 06:45 PM

Thanks! I'm satisfied although it sucks that the cover doesn't fit better. You can see how at the bottom, to the right of the seam, the cover is wider than on the left side. I had to pull really hard to get the left bottom tight but had to leave the stitches loose on the bottom right. That's why it looks a bit off at the bottom.

I'm very sure that the factory leather wheel looks much better than a Wheelskin ever could. You get what you pay for but I still like this much better than any slip-on cover.

SamCarroll 11-16-2011 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by ScionFred (Post 3933297)
I expect certain issues with an econobox: cheap plastics and upholstery, lack of sound deadening, creaks, squeeks and rattles, etc. but there's no reason why Toyota couldn't get the ergonomics right or at least better than they are. It's really sad that they went to the trouble and expense of adding a telescoping wheel that's essentially useless for anyone but little people.

I've been driving my 93 Subaru Legacy "beater" a lot this past year and every time I hop into the XB the first thing I notice is the long reach for the steering wheel. C'mon Toyota/Scion, you can do better than this.

that was actually a selling point. Im 6'9" and love the room. I am all the way slid back, leaned a good amount back for most headroom and people can still sit behind me. I have a perfect reach to the wheel and the shifter in a relaxed position. Realistically i know not many are as tall as i am so i can see this possibly being an issue. Also, coming from a truck i like how the car sits like a truck, not a car. My left hand is either on top of the wheel or over in the 9 spot while accelerating and when crusing i keep my left hand around the 6 to cup to bottom. Most relaxed spot.

ScionFred 11-17-2011 04:07 AM

I like the ergonomics for all the same reasons you just listed. I too came from a truck and with bad knees didn't want the typically tight compact car ingress/egress. I suppose at 6' 1" my arms are just a little short for the steering wheel placement. If I could just extend the wheel 1-2" it would be perfect.

AJ_Gil 11-17-2011 11:57 AM

I wonder if instead of stitching, contact cement of something like that might give better results with these covers.

TrevorS 11-18-2011 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by AJ_Gil (Post 3938856)
I wonder if instead of stitching, contact cement of something like that might give better results with these covers.

I installed a threaded wheel wrap on my previous '74 C10 and it was fine for that wheel, but I honestly prefer the appearance of the PepBoys slip on with my xB2. Obviously, this is all about personal preference, but every time I sit in my drivers seat and see and feel the wheel cover, I'm clear it was my best choice :)! Wheel skins may be better to many, but I don't think they're a universal solution. In any case, what matters is to get something you like. If it works for you, then nothing else really matters :)!

ScionFred 11-18-2011 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by AJ_Gil (Post 3938856)

I highly doubt it. IMO stitching is the best way to go and the only problem I see with mine is quality control. If the cover had been cut properly to the same width throughout, it wouldn't have that uneven look at the bottom and wrinkles between 6 and 4 o'clock. Still, it feels perfect and leather trumps PVC anyday.

clifsmith 11-22-2011 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by ScionFred (Post 3938529)
Thanks! I'm satisfied although it sucks that the cover doesn't fit better. You can see how at the bottom, to the right of the seam, the cover is wider than on the left side. I had to pull really hard to get the left bottom tight but had to leave the stitches loose on the bottom right. That's why it looks a bit off at the bottom.

I'm very sure that the factory leather wheel looks much better than a Wheelskin ever could. You get what you pay for but I still like this much better than any slip-on cover.

Still much improved over that cheap a$$ plastic feel in your hands. I despise slip on covers. Just my personal taste. I will just keep checking ebay for a used one. I am having trouble spending $225 for one. It will come up soon. I did investigate into looking at at late model TC leather wheel. there are slight differences in the way the hub cover fits where it meets the spokes. It will fit, but I don't think it looks right. There is a post somewhere in here on this. You can buy those leather wheels used all over ebay for $50.