Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

sub in the door

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default sub in the door

has anyone ever put a sub in the door? something like the link below

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2064CRT...72.html?tp=111
Old 09-01-2013, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have not heard of anyone putting a sub in the door but a few folks have put subs in the rear window area and all have had a bad experiences.

Subs need enough space to work properly and perform the best. Putting an expensive sub in a small right space would yield poor performance.

I'm not an audio guy by any means but several people have put subs into small spaces and have then complained about them not sounding right.

Best option would be to put an enclosure in the trunk area but this takes away from the limited trunk space in the xb.

For what it's worth.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cwong1001
has anyone ever put a sub in the door? something like the link below

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2064CRT...72.html?tp=111
Midtowndesi is correct that most subs will perform poorly in such a small space. It is possible to put a small shallow mount ten in the front doors however it'll stick pretty far out. You'll also have to seal your doors with something like second skin. You'd be a lot better off just putting a set of components with 8" midbass drivers in your doors if you're not looking for huge bass. You could also consider doing kick panels up front with shallow 8 or 10 inch drivers.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You could do that in the door, but you would need to make a solid mount for it on the metal of the door, fully deaden both the inner and out skins of the door, and most likely seal the door or build an enclosure into the door. It's not impossible but it's a ton of work for what you are going to get. Also you woul dneed to add a mid-range speaker somewhere else in the car to make up for the fact that the sub cannot play the vocal frequencies.

Now building an enclosure for two of these under each front seat would be interesting and probably sound very nice.

As Exit said you can put an 8" mid bass in the front doors, they fit quite well, I have a set of Dayton 8s in my doors but don't expect sub bass from them.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Greg S
You could do that in the door, but you would need to make a solid mount for it on the metal of the door, fully deaden both the inner and out skins of the door, and most likely seal the door or build an enclosure into the door. It's not impossible but it's a ton of work for what you are going to get. Also you woul dneed to add a mid-range speaker somewhere else in the car to make up for the fact that the sub cannot play the vocal frequencies.

Now building an enclosure for two of these under each front seat would be interesting and probably sound very nice.

As Exit said you can put an 8" mid bass in the front doors, they fit quite well, I have a set of Dayton 8s in my doors but don't expect sub bass from them.
I am going to eventually make the subs under the seats. I was just wondering if anyone done it before. Like in the Mustang with the Shaker sound system it has subs in the door, so that is why I am wondering.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, the Shaker 500 system basically does what I described, having a mid and tweeter in the door with the sub mounted below.

I've actually done something very similar with the 8" mid-bass in the door, 4 2" full range speakers on the A-pillars and tweeter in the stock tweeter location.

Here is a pic of the full range and tweeter.

Name:  CIMG5792.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  107.3 KB

Don't have any pics of the 8s since it looks completely stock from the outside.

Like I said it's a lot of extra work for most people and you have to be more than slightly obsessed with sound quality to want to do it. Obviously I am.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, the Shaker 500 system basically does what I described, having a mid and tweeter in the door with the sub mounted below.

I've actually done something very similar with the 8" mid-bass in the door, 4 2" full range speakers on the A-pillars and tweeter in the stock tweeter location.

Here is a pic of the full range and tweeter.

Don't have any pics of the 8s since it looks completely stock from the outside.

Like I said it's a lot of extra work for most people and you have to be more than slightly obsessed with sound quality to want to do it. Obviously I am.
Did you seal the whole door or are there subs out there that doesn't require enclosure?
Old 09-16-2013, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member

AFAIK, ALL subs require an enclosure. I have seen a JL shallow mount 12 in a 1 cf box that sounded really good

Try an infinity basslink. For the money they work pretty good, while not taking up much space. Don't get me wrong though, your neighbors won't hear you beaten up the block
Old 09-16-2013, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cwong1001
Did you seal the whole door or are there subs out there that doesn't require enclosure?
Sorry, didn't see this until now.

No, I didn't seal the doors, but I wasn't using the 8s as subs they were mid-bass speakers. I had a 12 mounted in the rear hatch door in a sealed enclosure for the sub bass.

There are subs that do not require enclosures, it's called infinite baffle, but they are not practical in wagon style cars because they require a wall to baffle the rear wave of the sub from the front. They are mainly used behind the seats in cars with a trunk and you still need to seal the trunk off from he interior of the car to use them properly.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member

Sorry, didn't see this until now.

No, I didn't seal the doors, but I wasn't using the 8s as subs they were mid-bass speakers. I had a 12 mounted in the rear hatch door in a sealed enclosure for the sub bass.

There are subs that do not require enclosures, it's called infinite baffle, but they are not practical in wagon style cars because they require a wall to baffle the rear wave of the sub from the front. They are mainly used behind the seats in cars with a trunk and you still need to seal the trunk off from he interior of the car to use them properly.

effectively using the trunk as an enclosure.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by learnem
effectively using the trunk as an enclosure.
True.

Real infinite baffle subs require an room behind them so large that the back pressure doesn't affect the sub. There really aren't true infinite baffle subs for car use and you have a lot more control with a boxed sub.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Subs in door

There is more than enough volume in the door for these speakers, in fact, too much. The door has about 2 cu. ft of volume, with about 5 inches of mounting depth. A couple of problems come to mind. First, the interior plastic panel is very flexible, and will vibrate excessively unless it's braced up a huge amount. Another problem is where to put your mid-bass driver. Greg solved that problem by going with near full range drivers in the window pillars. Great work, but it is work.

Better to put subs under the front seats or an enclosure in the cargo area. That way you can put a good set of separates in the door.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

But I don't think I'll trust Greg S. too much. He's kidnapped Tom Servo, he's in the garage!
Old 09-22-2013, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Shhh, don't tell the studio.

Lol