Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Under Seat subwoofer on '08 xB (xB2)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Under Seat subwoofer on '08 xB (xB2)

I've seen lots of discussion on under seat subwoofers on the original xB, but none on the xB2. Here are some links to items on the first xB:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37184
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83227
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42098
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=124595

A few people making boxes are out of business, the only one that seems to persist is Elemental Designs, which seems to have a decent reputation here, from what I can tell. They sell this box for under-seat for the xB1:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=464

However, it has no dimensions listed, and I haven't found anyone attempting to install in an xB2. Looking at their custom enclosures, this appears to be the smallest (6.5"x11.5"x14"):

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=247

I fabricated a cardboard box of this size, and as a tight fit, it was able to squeeze under the passenger's seat without taking it out. However, the subwoofer throw may be either throwing into the floor or seat, which wouldn't be a good thing. I realize that ED has trunk/spare tire replacement subs, but I can't risk that. I'm looking for something to be invisible from the outside, and under the seat seems to be the best bet.

Does anyone have any dimensions on the xB1 under seat box? It looks visible larger than my last link, but it's really hard to tell. I also emailed ED late last week, but haven't heard back yet. Also, what is the metal thing under the floor-carpet flap under the driver's seat?

--falz
Old 03-04-2008, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a thread on this probably a couple pages down in this forum with a good deal of info on this. I don't know the exact dimensions of the xB1 box, but I don't think it's going to fit.

That metal thing under the driver's seat protects a yaw sensor. I believe this is part of the VSC (vehicle skid control).

I have an under seat sub for sale in the classifieds that I used in my xB2. It's a very small Premier 8" slim sub and Pioneer enclosure. eD is currently building me a custom box for under the passenger seat that will house a 9kv.2 sub. Hopefully it will be done this week. I designed it to take advantage of the available space after the sensor hanging down from the passenger seat had been relocated.

edit - here's the thread:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...light=#3016895
Old 03-04-2008, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a pair of 9k's and will be building underseat boxes for both sides. There's definitely enough room but the box needs to extend a bit to make it all work, especially on the driver's side. I plan on building the driver's side first and then mirror it for the passenger side. I will be relocating the sensors. I have yet to decide whether I'm going to block the heat vents, reroute them, or leave a passage under the box.

When I actually get started, I will be posting. I should be starting before the end of the month.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HareBrained
I have a pair of 9k's and will be building underseat boxes for both sides. There's definitely enough room but the box needs to extend a bit to make it all work, especially on the driver's side. I plan on building the driver's side first and then mirror it for the passenger side. I will be relocating the sensors. I have yet to decide whether I'm going to block the heat vents, reroute them, or leave a passage under the box.

When I actually get started, I will be posting. I should be starting before the end of the month.
Cool! I can't wait to see that. I didn't want to relocate the yaw sensor under the driver's seat because I wasn't sure if moving it would effect the way it works. Do you have to orient it the same way as it sits in stock form? In other words, keep the front-back-side-side orientation the same, but just in a different spot in the car? I think the space behind the 12V outlet might work. It's pretty roomy in there.

I was surprised when I listened the 9kv.2. I put mine in a temporary sealed 0.3 cu ft box and it sounds like a 10". I can't wait to get it under the seat so I can have my entire cargo compartment back. 2 of them are going to sound awesome!
Old 03-05-2008, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm fairly certain that as long as the orientation is maintained (within a few degrees) the sensor could be translated to another location under the seat. I believe the computer also uses the fact that there is a height difference between the driver's side and passenger's side, so I won't be placing them identically under each seat. I think the passenger's will go up while the driver's will go down. Regardless where they end up, they won't be stuck out in the middle like now.

FYI, some preliminary ciphering indicates a 0.41cf box is possible under the driver's seat without moving the sensor. It gets tricky, and 'glass would need to be used to minimize how much volume the box structure takes, but it's possible.

I'm really anxious to get my boxes built and the subs into the car. The 600W from the NINe.5 will be great for them. I doubt I'll be pushing the gains up very much.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by rockthebeef
There is a thread on this probably a couple pages down in this forum with a good deal of info on this. I don't know the exact dimensions of the xB1 box, but I don't think it's going to fit.

That metal thing under the driver's seat protects a yaw sensor. I believe this is part of the VSC (vehicle skid control).

I have an under seat sub for sale in the classifieds that I used in my xB2. It's a very small Premier 8" slim sub and Pioneer enclosure. eD is currently building me a custom box for under the passenger seat that will house a 9kv.2 sub. Hopefully it will be done this week. I designed it to take advantage of the available space after the sensor hanging down from the passenger seat had been relocated.

edit - here's the thread:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...light=#3016895
Thanks for the info. This sub looks very interesting, I'm not intending to pound anything, just fill in the low end. If you're willing to share, how much is the custom box w/ driver from ED? I was going to measure things out, but it sounds like you've already done the hard work of it. I'm probably intesrested in your pioneer sub+enclosure if you still have it, but I'm curious how much the custom box from ED is. I obviously also want to ensure the 8" pioneer driver isn't fried :) From looking at prices for that box+driver, $110 sounds fair to me.

In case anyone is curious about the size of the xB1 under seat "custom" box, I heard back from Elemental and it's 13.5"x13.5"x7", so it definitely wouldn't fit in the xB2.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The custom box was $84 plus shipping - something like $120ish all together. It's all MDF with black carpet and is sort of T-shaped. It's very similar in dimensions to the sealed 9kv.2 universal enclosure, but modified to take advantage of the weird shaped floor of the xB. You'll need to relocate the sensor that hangs down from the passenger seat and saw off the vent that sticks out into the floor area. I want to make sure it fits nicely and then I'll post up the plans and pics of the finished product in case anybody is interested.

As of now I'm still waiting for the box to be completed.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:51 PM

Default Rear seat subs

I have a 08 XB and am getting ready to build a custom box. I want to try to put two 8" pioneer shallow mounts under the rer seat does anyone have experience with this? from my measuremants they will fit and have enough air space. anyone have any Ideas?

Thanks
Old 11-09-2010, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would recommend making the box out of fiberglass for there. It is so uneven that you will end up loosing a lot of air space if it is done out of wood. I looked at it before but couldn't get what I wanted out of the available space. Under the seat or in the hatch are both much easier locations to try to get a sub in, but if you want to get the under the rear seat it just means more work.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Having built underseat boxes for my '10 box, I discovered a few things. 1. The curved carpet corners under the seat are merely cosmetic: the actual sheet metal is farther out. Cutting out the carpet gains an inch or two of space. 2. Trying to make vent spaces for the factory underseat vents eat up a lot of space; just cut them back. 3. If using wood, forget 3/4" MDF; use 1/2" Baltic Birch ply instead and rabbet and dado your joints (yeah, you need a table saw for that).

An alternative to the standard 6 sided box is to make a compound box: a larger box on top a smaller box. This allows for a more efficient use of space under the seat. The smaller box fits in the well between the front and rear bracing, while the larger part of the box extends over the rear bracing. A little harder to make (you attach the smaller box to the larger one using a Kreg pocket hole jig), but maximized enclosure volume and allows a larger diameter speaker.

As for me, I made 2 different boxes (one optimized for the left, the other optimized for the right) using a pair of Fosgate small volume 8's. They presently don't give a whole lot of slam (small amp being used), but they round out the sound of the Infinity fronts. The amps, btw, had to be built into a tray that fit on top the spare tire, under a plywood rear deck.