Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

*MAD!*....candy stuck in floor mat. How do I remove?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 05:35 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Default *MAD!*....candy stuck in floor mat. How do I remove?

So I detailed my ride this weekend & while I was vaccuming the floors mats I realized someone dropped a piece of a mint hard candy on my mat . I thought it would just easily come off, but this thing is STUCK!!

Any ideas what I can spray on it and not damage the mat (discolor)? I was thinking of trying goo-gone but if anyone has and ideas let me know thanks!
Old 01-14-2008, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

goo gone, or perhaps a hair dryer and a few paper towels? heat it up gently, and try to remove as much as possible while heated? after that, you could try repeated steam cleans to get the rest of that crap out of the mat..
you will have to start having your passengers sign a "waiver" when they get in your ride now - any damage to the xb2 will result in whippings, and skinnings!!!!!
Old 01-14-2008, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This might sound funny, but you could try and freeze it and then it will come off. I used to do that when I owned a cleaning business to remove gum off carpets. Try ice.

John
Old 01-14-2008, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep in mind that this is why floor mats exist; if you can't get it back to the way you like it, buy new ones.
That way you'll have extras for when somebody drops candy on the other side of the car.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: *MAD!*....candy stuck in floor mat. How do I remove?

Originally Posted by AAG
So I detailed my ride this weekend & while I was vaccuming the floors mats I realized someone dropped a piece of a mint hard candy on my mat . I thought it would just easily come off, but this thing is STUCK!!

Any ideas what I can spray on it and not damage the mat (discolor)? I was thinking of trying goo-gone but if anyone has and ideas let me know thanks!

i feel your pain, same thing happened to me
Old 01-14-2008, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have something stuck in one of my mats also. I was going to try Goo Gone, as another person said, as soon as I pick up a bottle. You can get it at grocery, drug, and hardware stores. It's good stuff to have around. I've used it before.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:45 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jallamas
This might sound funny, but you could try and freeze it and then it will come off. I used to do that when I owned a cleaning business to remove gum off carpets. Try ice.

John
can you use a can of air up side down to get the same results? and that ice is cheaper to use and make
Old 01-14-2008, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by duck_dodgers_24_5
Originally Posted by jallamas

John
can you use a can of air up side down to get the same results? and that ice is cheaper to use and make
That will work!
Old 01-14-2008, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member

Go to a janitorial supply and ask for gum remover. They usually carry a kind to freeze and a kind to melt. Either one should work.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:52 PM
SL Member
SL Member

Put in the freezer overnight and brush it out with a toothbrush. Old school but works.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:08 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by IH8ONYU
you will have to start having your passengers sign a "waiver" when they get in your ride now - any damage to the xb2 will result in whippings, and skinnings!!!!!
I hear you dude, its weird because I can't remember anyone ever eating in my car & it was the front passenger so I know I would have seen it. Just sucks because its my first brand new car and I try to keep it as clean as possible.

I'll try the goo-gone and go from there. If it starts getting messy I'll just buy another pair.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

like .. how bad is it ... I'm thinking its one of those nasty round ones, the red and white ones? Can't you break it and remove most of it, then dissolve the rest?
Old 01-14-2008, 10:20 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Its one of the round ones like half a piece, its green and white. I haven't really messed with it because I was so mad. What makes it worse is that it sticks out like a sore thumb because its right in the center. I probably wont deal with it till this weekend since I work late during the week. Thanks for everyones suggestions/advice
Old 01-14-2008, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
Its one of the round ones like half a piece, its green and white. I haven't really messed with it because I was so mad. What makes it worse is that it sticks out like a sore thumb because its right in the center. I probably wont deal with it till this weekend since I work late during the week. Thanks for everyones suggestions/advice
Don't put chemicals like goo gone on the mat, it could bleach it or discolor it.

Think of it like this: The candy is stuck because it was wet, it is made of sugar, and it dried. It is an easy fix: soak it for a couple days...like submerged. If you can agitate the water some how, that would be even better. The sugar gluing the candy to the mat will dissolve pretty quickly, it should come right off. It might only take 10 minutes.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if its on the mats that you can remove, pull it out and break it up with a hammer. the remaining stuck peices should come off with either really hot soapy water or the hair dryer method. Goo Gone is a terrible idea though as like mentioned it could mess the carpet up.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Take the mat out, set the part with the hard candy on it in a tray or some sort, use boiling water, itll melt the hard candy quickly. then just rinse and dry
Old 01-15-2008, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Hard candy normally doesn't stick very hard. Just pull it out. Use warm water to disolve anything that's left.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ice always worked for me.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try this, it might work.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

leave it =]
it will serve as an air freshner

Quick Reply: *MAD!*....candy stuck in floor mat. How do I remove?