Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

12 or 14 Gallon Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 09:46 PM

Default 12 or 14 Gallon Tank?

Everytime I fill up, my tank caps out around 12 gallons MAX. I could have sworn my manual said 14 gallons. Also my max distance till empty is always around 280 with average mph at 26mpg.
I thought I would at least get over 300 which would make sense if I had a 14 gallon tank. I even tried to force more gas in and no go.

Anyone else have this issue?
Old 07-11-2007, 09:54 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

would you like to have a completely empty tank, pushing the car to the gas station, for you to happliy fill up the full 14 gallons?

btw.. running the car with low fuel isn't good for the car anyway..
Old 07-11-2007, 09:58 PM
SL Member

it's gotta be bigger than 12. I filled it with 11.7 gals and the low fuel indicator hadn't come on yet.

The dash readout seems pessimistic (probably intentionally). I think it's a neat touch but I'd rather just get my own feel for how much I can squeeze out of the tank as I've always done with my other vehicles. I've never had one with the computerized fuel display before.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:59 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

it's a 14 gallon tank per specs..
Old 07-11-2007, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: 12 or 14 Gallon Tank?

Originally Posted by mcgong
Everytime I fill up, my tank caps out around 12 gallons MAX. I could have sworn my manual said 14 gallons. Also my max distance till empty is always around 280 with average mph at 26mpg.
I thought I would at least get over 300 which would make sense if I had a 14 gallon tank. I even tried to force more gas in and no go.

Anyone else have this issue?
It's a 14. I just put 12.6 gallons in mine last time... yeah, I was getting a bit nervous as I don't know just HOW far below E that needle will go before I'm screwed.

Of course, neither does my wife, and that gas guage is right up there in the middle for all to see...
Old 07-11-2007, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart
would you like to have a completely empty tank, pushing the car to the gas station, for you to happliy fill up the full 14 gallons?

btw.. running the car with low fuel isn't good for the car anyway..
Yes I am aware that running the car that low on gas isn't good for it , but for testing purposes, I wanted to see, because I wasn't getting good millege.

The miles till empty guage read 5 miles left till empty, and I didn't even get to put in more than 12 gallons. is there a difference in tanks between manual and automatic.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:15 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

no difference, but with the tank being really low, there will be inaccuracies with regards to the calculations

also... mileage does depend alot on how the car is driven, so i wouldn't really know what the case or issue might be if there is any.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:19 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by mcgong
Yes I am aware that running the car that low on gas isn't good for it , but for testing purposes, I wanted to see, because I wasn't getting good millege.

The miles till empty guage read 5 miles left till empty, and I didn't even get to put in more than 12 gallons. is there a difference in tanks between manual and automatic.
Mileage and range are two different things though. Even with the dash readouts, I still compute mileage the same way I always have (range since last fillup/gallons filled). As I mentioned earlier, the range till empty indicated on the dash is probably deliberately pessimistic so Scion/Toyota won't get sued when someone tries running the thing right to "0" before filling. I'm sure they could make it far more accurate but they'd be taking on a lot more risk (the world is simply loaded with knucleheads).

I see the dash readouts as interesting, but primarily for entertainment purposes.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:43 PM
SL Member

Whenever I fill up it shows my range is 260. What does everyone else show?
Old 07-13-2007, 07:48 PM
SL Member

330 on my last tank before I decided to fill it. I t took ~11.7 gallons.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I gotta keep an eye on this....

I'm looking at the xB2 to replace my corolla (gets min 32.5 MPG, max 36MPG) this is gonna be a HUGE problem for me if people are getting <300 miles on a tank. I drive 100 miles a day. I'd rather not have to fill up every other day, every 3 is bad enough.

^ Though that last post is what I expect since of my 100 miles/day 90 are highway.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:09 PM
SL Member

347 miles on my last tank (7/15/2007) and filled up with 12.089 gallons. That works out to 28.7 mpg. I could have done better but there was a fair amount of stop and go on that tank. It looks like straight highway driving would easily get into the 30's at rational speeds.

I wish this thing had a bit larger fuel tank. I've got an '06 Nissan Frontier 4cyl/5spd with a 21 gallon tank and at over 25mpg, I easily go 500 miles between fillups.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:09 AM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I am worried about my estimated distance display. It seems to be off. It said 0 miles left when I had almost a 1/4 tank. anyone else run into this?
Old 07-17-2007, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by BloodHoundFan
I am worried about my estimated distance display. It seems to be off. It said 0 miles left when I had almost a 1/4 tank. anyone else run into this?
Yes, the conservative/pessimistic fuel gauge, lamp, and range readings seem normal (or at least common) for xB2. Here is an earlier thread on this subject:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=182226 Fuel gauge calibration (guage is off)

I think someone mentioned in that thread that the fuel warning lamp is supposed to come on at 11.7 gallons, per Owner's Manual.

As far as concerns about the gas mileage drop (from the xB1's), the real world reports suggest they may have been somewhat exaggerated. I'm currently at 29.1 mpg over the last ~1500 miles (based on the odometer and gas pump records, not the trip computer. My trip computer's ave. mgp readings seem consistently 1.5 mpg optimistic.) So the tankful should be good for about 400 miles, depending on variety of factors. The last tankful was 31.5 mpg for mostly highway commute miles.

Also see: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=180782 xB2 debuts on fueleconomy.gov
Old 07-17-2007, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's probably because you have 2 gallons in reserves before the car is really empty.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:22 PM
SL Member

Worst thing about having a brand new car - you drive it too much. Seems like gas is just flying out of it right now, but I am racking up a lot of miles. I've only ever put this many miles on a car so quickly when I road tripped from ohio to wyoming. Need to just sit and stare at it more than drive it I guess.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:24 PM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well, the thing is the estimated miles left on the tank used to be much more accurate. The last time I went to fill up (when I was actually at close to 30 miles left) I ended up only putting $10 in before their pumps had problems, so I just went with that. Well, the gas guage moved a fairly decent amount, but the estimated milage stayed at 30 still. Since then it has been off by about 30 miles even if I fill up ALL the way.

Guess I may need to stop in to visit the dealership.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:00 AM
5 Year Member

I've owned a Silver xB2 about a month. I average 28.5 mpg. I usually stop for gas when the gauge is about 1/8 tank and it's full after about 9 gallons. The last time I filled up I drove it well past the time the gas light came on. The range computer showed I could only go about 15 more miles. The tank would only take 11.3 gallons.

Apparently the gauges are not precise, but at leat they err on the safe side.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, during my first 2 tanks it was really low, I think i was getting 20mpg. now its at about 24mpg
Old 08-26-2007, 07:45 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Whispaz
wow, during my first 2 tanks it was really low, I think i was getting 20mpg. now its at about 24mpg
Not too sure what I average. I noticed one thing on my trip computer that I want to know if others are experiencing. If I don't reset the "avg mpg" it will stay at 22.2 mpg regardless of my driving style. It fluctuates about .2-.6 but usually stays at 22.2. If I reset it and drive conservatively, then I will see better readings of anywhere between 27-32 mpg. Are you supposed to reset this everytime you want an accurate reading?

I'm also wondering if some people are getting better mpg due to not having to have a smog pump and such things mandatory by state law. I know you have to have it in Cali and other states but do these these restrictions apply for all states?

Quick Reply: 12 or 14 Gallon Tank?