Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

2008 xb manual test drive. Hated it!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2008 xb manual test drive. Hated it!

Dont get me wrong, I am not one of the first gen owners who hates the new xb. I went and test drove a black manual 2008 today. I hated the clutch on the car. The clutch pedal seems up so high. I felt really wierd driving it. I have never had a problem driving a stick in my life (not including a Fiat years ago). The clutch really seemed up so high.

Did anyone else notice this while driving it. I gotta say I liked the auto with the shift-tronic transmission.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i saw the same thing when i test drove an 08 xb, it feels really wierd
Old 07-29-2007, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I agree too. That was a big factor in my decision to get the auto.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It bothered the hell out of me during one test drive, but when I went on another and adjusted the seat differently, it was no problem. I have a 5-speed, and it has 2k on it, the pedal has not bothered be since.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i liked the placement of the stick- gets it off the floor and less likely to keep jiggling it. i heard its not good to constantly keep pressure on the stick?

the clutch was strange for me. it's so easy to depress the clutch and harder to tell when its engaging.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:56 PM
SL Member

I have a problem with the gas pedal... my fat foot gets stuck between the brake pedal and the console.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

never even got a chance to drive a manual. The wife cant drive (or at least doesnt like to) so we didnt even look at it
Old 07-30-2007, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you think the new xB's Clutch is bad, go test drive a Jetta 2.5 Value edition.

I've been driving manuals as long as I've been driving and somehow I managed to burn the clutch up on the test drive. WTF?
Old 07-30-2007, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if the clutch assembly is anything like the original xb it is easy to adjusst to each users preference. the dealership or manufacturer may set it at a default position. i thought that the orinigal xb was too close to the floor. made a few adjustments and fixed with no problems. easy fix, just my two cents...
Old 07-30-2007, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my 05 is a manual. I like the placement of the clutch. I have driven vw's, ford's, chevy's, and never seen anything like it. I went to a dealer yesterday and didnt hve time to test drive one. i saw it and sat in it and wa all ready to buy it. I was so excited today to get a new car. but after test driving it, I passed. Not interested. It feels to much like an suv.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, its that bad!?!
Old 07-30-2007, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by andrewdustin
if the clutch assembly is anything like the original xb it is easy to adjusst to each users preference. the dealership or manufacturer may set it at a default position. i thought that the orinigal xb was too close to the floor. made a few adjustments and fixed with no problems. easy fix, just my two cents...
You can adjust it? Is it an easy DIY?
Old 07-30-2007, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

My 05 had a manual and it was fun to drive! But the 08 with the manual was slow and the automatic was fun ! So I'm going to get a automatic.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:01 AM

I love the manual compared to the auto, no clutch issues for me. I like the 5 speeds versus only 4 for the auto. I drove both and the manual is definitely more lively, especially up and around hills which we have here in Arizona. I noticed the auto constantly shifted on steeper inclines, sounded like it was really straining and it was irritating to drive. I prefer to downshift and keep the RPM's. The auto needed an extra gear like all the newer autos with some even going to 6 speed autos. If the manual would not have been available, I would have passed on the auto and bought the Passat Wagon with auto which was $5K more and was a wonderful auto, but worried about VW reliability issues for the longer term.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, to each their own. i have a new appreciation for my tc's clutch after borowing my brothers 01 isuzu rodeo sport v6 4x4. i learned how to drive stick on this thing, but haven't driven it in years. so while my tc was having some work done, i borrowed his isuzu.

getting ready to pull outta the driveway. clutch in, put it in first, start to give it some gas, and let the clutch pedal up slowely to feel where it starts to connect, nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing, i was beginning to wonder if something was wrong, even double checked to make sure i was in gear. it literally doesn't seem to engage until the clutch pedal is all the way up.

at first i found it really irritating, but just the second trip in it, i had the hang of it and didn't mind, just took alittle adjustment in my timing.

all cars are different. i remember car and driver complaining about how the clutch in the subaru legacy 2.5 gt engages almost immediately once the pedal is off the floor.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by flbugboy
My 05 had a manual and it was fun to drive! But the 08 with the manual was slow and the automatic was fun ! So I'm going to get a automatic.
if the auto was faster, then the problem wasn't the manual, it was you, the manual will always be faster than the manual in the hands of a capable driver.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:54 AM
SL Member

It was odd to me at first. Especially since the last ride had a real hard clutch (compared to the XB) and it engaged almost immediately. When I first test drove it, I felt llike it was my first time driving a stick. I was reving high trying to engage and once I did I would jerk the car forward. It just took a little getting used to and now I can shift between gears smoother then I ever have.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Gentlemen this is a XB (which is a great car) its not a sport car. This cars has style! I think the automatic was more to drive(just so you know I have two 69 camero, one that I race in vintage racing and one for the street both with manuals) And in florida hills are not a problem
Old 07-30-2007, 12:59 PM

puzzled why Toyota used the 4 speed in the Xb 2.4 engine when the new Camry with the same engine uses the much better transmission with the 5 speed electronically controlled and not the 4 speed in older Camrys, huge difference if you drive them both, the XB auto IMO needs that extra gear, guess it was a cost savings issue and they used the older Camry transmission.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:36 PM
SL Member

My '08 xB2 is the only stick-shift car I've owned that makes me nervous when pulling away from uphill stops. I over-rev the motor and chirp the tires more often that I like to admit. Engaging the clutch on the flat is no problem.

The xB2 clutch is VERY high. After a lifetime of owning & driving sticks (67Mustang289, KarmannGhia,TriumphHerald, Fiat850Spyder, Saab99EMS, VWgti's), my '08 xB2 is embarrasingly difficult to get used to.

Quick Reply: 2008 xb manual test drive. Hated it!