Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

2011 xB (abandon ship!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, Not gonna Lie I love most all of it.

that front bumper looks like they put no thought into it. and the rear bumper is as Meh as the current one.

but, If i went to buy another xB, I could handle this...

though I would swap the bumper/grill back to a 2008-10 style. I've already looked at the cost for the bumper, its around 700... I dunno about the grill...

but yeah, beyond that front end its all a step up.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:39 PM
SL Member

if anyone does buy this..... the first thing getting replaced is the front and rear bumpers ....lets hope scion doesn't screw up with the next tc...
Old 03-20-2010, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by 08silvertc
if anyone does buy this..... the first thing getting replaced is the front and rear bumpers ....lets hope scion doesn't screw up with the next tc...
Agreed. But if they do, i'll be glad to have my old out of style one haha.

I think the new xb has a lot of potential. Could look sick
Old 03-20-2010, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by surfcitylocal
Getting back on topic.

I'm excited to see the responses to the new body style. That's the kind of thing that made me want to buy my first gen xB. There aren't many car companies out there that induce such a polarizing opinion. Like it or hate it, the fact that you would take the time to post up your feelings about the new style show that Scion is still evoking emotions in us...

Well said.

I wish people on here realized that the new xB got bigger, rounder and more powerful because of customer and potential customer's feedback.

I've heard it all...

"The xB gen1 is too slow"
"The xB gen1 is too small"
"The xB gen1 is too Boxy"
"The xB gen1 isn't safe enough"

"The xB gen2 gets bad gas mileage, Toyota's stupid for replacing the 1.5L engine"
"The xB gen2 is too big, Toyota's stupid for making the car bigger"
"The xB gen2 is too round and plain looking, the gen1 had more personality"
"The xB gen2 is too expensive, Toyota's stupid, they should have kept it $15k"

This is proof that Scion listens. The problem with listening tho is that half of the customer base is disappointed with every change they make. I appreciate all the enthusiasm though; it confirms that Scion still has it intended market captivated. Just my .02
Old 03-20-2010, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

The problem with that logic is that most of those complaints about the 2nd gen came from 1st gen and Scion owners at the time. Your potential buyer base is HIGHEST amongst your current owner/client base. The changes were to appeal to those whom weren't customers, which alienated (some?) people who were devout fans. And in all reality, the gen2 appeals to many of the same customers who were already considering Toyotas.

Scion's sole purpose of existence is to reduce the average age of buyers/owners for Toyota. If the average buyer is equal to that of Toyota, then there is NO reason for the brand to exist.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/04/s...ge-is-in-flux/
http://www.autotrends.org/has-scion-lost-its-mojo/

Last edited by djct_watt; 03-20-2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 03-20-2010, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by engifineer
It is a car company, not your best friend. The truth of it is that there isnt near enough demand in the money short kid culture to support totally radical new models all the time. This isnt ferrari
If you remember.. Scion said they would swing out new models every 3 or four years. Technically, they've only done it once, and that was the xD. So, 6-7 years later and only one TRUE new car (the xB2 doesn't count IMO) they're failing on their "Mission"
Old 03-21-2010, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In my family, there are four Scions (2 2005 xB1's, 1 2009 xB2, 1 2005 tC), and I have to say that I do not mind the 2011 xB freshening. I especially like all the interior improvements. There is a sort-of cheap body kit look to the front bumper of the 2011 xB, but it isn't anything that a billet grille/fog lamp/custom LED daytime running lamp install could help improve. I visualize a potential retrofitting of the Prius's fog/running lamp into the 2011 xB's lower bumper. A custom-made LED running light strip inside those huge openings in the 2011 front bumper would certainly make a statement as well.

I've received varying commentary over the years regarding both gen-1 and gen-2 xB's in my family. Most are simply curious and then form their own opinion. A lot are wowed by the interior space of both generation xB's. People just express their opinion, and that is the essence of Scion's philosophy. Love it or hate it. I love all the Scions in my family, and all but the 2009 are completely paid off (thank God).

I'll be curious to see the newest incarnation of the tC. Unfortunately, I am getting more and more attracted to the 2010 Fusion/Milan, and have been wanting to get back into a sedan for my next vehicle. If Toyota changes the Camry/Corolla for the better in the next two years, I might stay with Toyota. As an aside, I feel that Toyota is getting the short end of the stick recently with all the recalls.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why are people so upset with this redesign? They barely changed anything. The xB2 wouldn't seem odd to me if it had a Buick emblem on it. They actually improved the look of the xb2 to make it seem somewhat "sporty" for younger drivers, and I use that term loosely. Let's face it, the most recent bB in Japan is what we should have here. Or they could just remake the xB1 with a 1.8 turbo and everyone would be happy.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was doing some reading on the US history of the xB1 and 2. It's one of the few car models that appeal to two distinct age brackets: 20 y/o and 40-50 y/o drivers. The 20 somethings (lots of you guys) like it because it doesn't look like much else on the road, mods easily (well, depending on the mod) and it's affordable. The older crowd (me) like it because it's roomy, easy access, lots of space and it's affordable. In short, good deals for both it's owners.

You're never going to have everyone agree on what looks good, which is good. If everyone did agree on what looks good, it'll be pretty boring out there!
Old 03-21-2010, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by AKgoalie7
If you remember.. Scion said they would swing out new models every 3 or four years. Technically, they've only done it once, and that was the xD. So, 6-7 years later and only one TRUE new car (the xB2 doesn't count IMO) they're failing on their "Mission"
Toyota in general makes it practice to change models every few years.. but that didnt stop the Camry from still existing, nor the Corolla, due to it selling so well.

But, besides that, I also recall a major recession over recent years, which also plays into whether or not a car company is going to completely re-tool for a new model. Cant blame them for that.

And Scions "mission" revolved around filling a niche in the market of the younger crowd (cant remember the exact wording off the top of my head). And that mission statement didnt include necessarily changing models up every few years. What is "typical" of a company does not equal the mission statement.

However, I think the biggest flaw in what they have done is to think they would in some way please the completely un-realistic (I want 500hp and leather for $15000!) "tuner" kid crowd. Those people will never be pleased until they get a Z06 at the price of a tC.. just listen to the whiner threads out there. On the xB... I remember on the forums when people wished it had more power.. then they put the 2az in it and people whined that it would make it heavier and get worse mileage. It is hard to please a crowd that spends more time finding fault with everything than actually enjoying the good parts.

And as much as some (mainly those who have moved to other cars) like to moan and whine, the same, 6 year old design on the tC still to this day is comparable in performance and features to cars the same price... and exceeds some of them. So it is still a great value for what you get. Personally I would rather see them put the money spent on RS models and the horrible value spec edition they made towards some other parts and changes, but you cant have everything.

The xB is a great value for what you get as well, so in my mind, while it would be nice for them to mix it up a bit more, Scion is still doing ok. People just have to understand that making a completely new model is very costly due to re-tooling and re-design. It is not just like saying "I will change the design and push the manufacture button". So for most normally priced cars, you see smaller changes over time. Just the way it is.

And the bottom line is that Scion/Toyota is in the business to make the most money possible. And I dont think many can argue that they have done a pretty good job of taking over a lot of the market they serve. So whatever we all wish we could have for a car, they are building what the market data says they should. And the enthusiast crowd is not the largest part of the people who buy these cars. I see maybe 1 modified tC out of 20 on a good day. I see maybe 1 modified xB out of 50 ... most of the 50 being driven by older people. Most people buy a car to drive it and leave it alone. So yes, we all wish we had a lot of things, but you have to look at the fact that Scion is a business. These cars are not nearly high enough on the margin side of things to support changing everything up all the time.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Drake
the inside scoop

just wait till March 30th... you will get a nice view of the future of scion that will be hitting stores in no time......

-yes i work for Corp...

give us a heads up!!!
Old 03-22-2010, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by engifineer
Toyota in general makes it practice to change models every few years.. but that didnt stop the Camry from still existing, nor the Corolla, due to it selling so well.

But, besides that, I also recall a major recession over recent years, which also plays into whether or not a car company is going to completely re-tool for a new model. Cant blame them for that.

And Scions "mission" revolved around filling a niche in the market of the younger crowd (cant remember the exact wording off the top of my head). And that mission statement didnt include necessarily changing models up every few years. What is "typical" of a company does not equal the mission statement.

However, I think the biggest flaw in what they have done is to think they would in some way please the completely un-realistic (I want 500hp and leather for $15000!) "tuner" kid crowd. Those people will never be pleased until they get a Z06 at the price of a tC.. just listen to the whiner threads out there. On the xB... I remember on the forums when people wished it had more power.. then they put the 2az in it and people whined that it would make it heavier and get worse mileage. It is hard to please a crowd that spends more time finding fault with everything than actually enjoying the good parts.

And as much as some (mainly those who have moved to other cars) like to moan and whine, the same, 6 year old design on the tC still to this day is comparable in performance and features to cars the same price... and exceeds some of them. So it is still a great value for what you get. Personally I would rather see them put the money spent on RS models and the horrible value spec edition they made towards some other parts and changes, but you cant have everything.

The xB is a great value for what you get as well, so in my mind, while it would be nice for them to mix it up a bit more, Scion is still doing ok. People just have to understand that making a completely new model is very costly due to re-tooling and re-design. It is not just like saying "I will change the design and push the manufacture button". So for most normally priced cars, you see smaller changes over time. Just the way it is.

And the bottom line is that Scion/Toyota is in the business to make the most money possible. And I dont think many can argue that they have done a pretty good job of taking over a lot of the market they serve. So whatever we all wish we could have for a car, they are building what the market data says they should. And the enthusiast crowd is not the largest part of the people who buy these cars. I see maybe 1 modified tC out of 20 on a good day. I see maybe 1 modified xB out of 50 ... most of the 50 being driven by older people. Most people buy a car to drive it and leave it alone. So yes, we all wish we had a lot of things, but you have to look at the fact that Scion is a business. These cars are not nearly high enough on the margin side of things to support changing everything up all the time.
Agreed on all points about the tC. . . my only complaint about the tC was letting it age so ungracefully. The model refresh was tasteless and there were few improvements. Most cars see some engineering enhancements through their lifetime. . . IMO, the tC was never truly competitive, but it was a bargain for what it offered. Through the years, the competition has both caught up and exceeded the tC in value. But being that the mission of Scion is to sell to a younger crowd, the tC has succeeded without a doubt.

The xB on the other hand has not. . . it's moved in the WRONG direction in terms of median buyer age. Same with the xA (carried on by the xD). Yes, the purpose of TOYOTA MOTOR COMPANY is to make money and sell cars, but the purpose of Scion, a division of that company, is not to compete with itself. It's purpose is a marketing tool to both sell to and feed younger clients, and wet their appetite so that they may Toyota and Lexus in the future.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Drake
the inside scoop

just wait till March 30th... you will get a nice view of the future of scion that will be hitting stores in no time......

-yes i work for Corp...
There'd better be the word FUSE drapped all over the place!
Old 03-22-2010, 07:05 PM
SL Member

Looks like a fish on the front end.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by p911gt10c
There'd better be the word FUSE drapped all over the place!

for what i heard, the 2011 tc is gonna have the tc front, but the fuse from windshield to the back... except the doors. normal swing open.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JJGeneral1
for what i heard, the 2011 tc is gonna have the tc front, but the fuse from windshield to the back... except the doors. normal swing open.
but the front is the coolest part!!!
Old 03-22-2010, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheFranchise
Looks like a fish on the front end.
Would that be a fishbulb?

Old 03-22-2010, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

slam it some wheels and there you go
Old 03-23-2010, 01:33 AM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

They should have added the new Camry motor/tranny in the refresh. The xb2 needs more power and better fuel economy.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:47 AM
SL Member

wow the fuse concept.... cricket chirping.

why not just take what works in the original car and improve on it.

the first generation tc isn't considered very sporty handling wise ...improve on that.
overall dimensions were nice on the first tc... the fuse concept doesn't look sporty at all even if it gets the tc front end.
so ill be watching the coverage of the New York auto show hoping and praying that what is revealed looks better than the fuse. and hopefully just more of a revision of the original.

Quick Reply: 2011 xB (abandon ship!)