Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-owners-lounge-1768/)
-   -   2013 Scion xB & Release Series info. Lots of pics of my White 2013 "build" on p8+ (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-owners-lounge-1768/2013-scion-xb-release-series-info-lots-pics-my-white-2013-build-p8-211717/)

MR_LUV 10-28-2017 05:41 AM

Keep Up the Good work!

:)

midtowndesi 11-07-2017 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by MR_LUV (Post 4283616)
Keep Up the Good work!

:)

Thank you my friend. I hope you're doing well. I don't know about work - i'm just documenting whatever i get done to my car to keep track of the $ spent :)

I'm at 31k miles now and i think the car is broken in now. it's super smooth depending on the road.

only issue is that the driver side door no longer locks / unlocks with the key fob. all other doors lock. anyone have an idea what this could be...? i am now manually locking the car with the key...

XBroker 01-07-2018 06:45 PM

I wasn't able to find a hitch for my RS 8.0. Seems the body kit precludes me from using any options out there.

midtowndesi 01-12-2018 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by XBroker (Post 4284698)
I wasn't able to find a hitch for my RS 8.0. Seems the body kit precludes me from using any options out there.

that sucks that you were not able to use/install a hitch... any chance of you finding a replacement bumber you can hack up to have a hitch fit...? is this too much effort?

midtowndesi 01-12-2018 03:26 PM

happy new year to all. at almost 5 years of ownership (TIME FLIES!!!!) but only at 32k miles now and the car is purring just fine. it's been cold lately so i added more air in the tires to the tpms sensor light would shut off ;)

still have the problem that the automatic door unlocker on the door does not work. when i get to the dealer for the next oil change, i'll have them look at it. other than that, car is perfecto.

SilentCool 01-24-2018 05:18 AM

Wow! Great thread. Nice to see that you have had no issues in 5 years even if your mileage is pretty low. How often do you drive?

midtowndesi 04-03-2018 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by SilentCool (Post 4284916)
Wow! Great thread. Nice to see that you have had no issues in 5 years even if your mileage is pretty low. How often do you drive?

Hey man, i appreciate you chiming in. I'm just using this thread to document whatever is going on with my xb that i love :)

for the first couple of years i owned the car, i did not drive often at all. now i am driving much more but it's still only a few miles per weekday and more on weekends. i'd say im averaging maybe 8k miles a year or so.

midtowndesi 04-03-2018 04:26 PM

it's officially 5 years since i've owned the box and im at 34,000 miles :)

still loving the drive, still holding up without any serious issues.

i currently have 2 problems - both driver and passenger front doors no longer unlock using the key fob. i am due for an oil change in a couple of months and i will have the dealer look at this. at first it was just the driver side that stopped locking/unlocking but now it's the front passenger door too. it is getting a bit annoying to unlock the car using the key like some sort of caveman haha

midtowndesi 04-23-2018 03:59 PM

As I mentioned in my previous post, I had an issue with both my front door locks. Both driver and passenger door locks would not open with the key fob or the buttons on the doors. I was not sure what was causing this.

So then by chance, I found a guy on YouTube that had a similar problem on his 2014 xB. He posted 2 videos on how to fix the problem yourself buying the motors that had gone bad - about $6.50 for each motor.

So I said why not give it a shot. Thankfully, this was the problem, the motors had gone bad.

I want to give a huge thank you to Mark Singleton on YouTube for posting his video on taking the doors apart. Thanks to him, I saved hundreds of dollars by doing this job myself.

For others that may come across this post via Google, this applies to all Gen2 xB's I believe.

The two videos on how to fix your door lock problems are here:

video 1:

video 2:

This is the part that you need to buy in order to fix your automatic door locks:

"10mm-Flat-Shaft-FC-280PC-22125-Door-Lock-Motor-Repair-Actuator-Toyota-Lexus-D"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10mm-Flat-S...=1669577794001

This is what the motor looks like. This is the actual part that went bad/burned out/stopped working.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/gJYAA...Go/s-l1600.jpg

Lastly, you need a few Philips screw drivers, a Torx size 30 tool and a 10mm socket. These will help you do the whole job.

I hope this helps you guys out and saves you a ton of $.

midtowndesi 07-19-2018 01:27 PM

it's officially 5 years and 4 months of ownership and I am at 35,800 miles :)

I drive pretty fast usually and it's mainly city driving so a lot of hard braking. The last time i replaced my pads, the mechanic said the rotors were damaged and that my brake pads would not last long. he was right and my brakes are now making a screeching sound.

I just purchase front and back rotors+pads yesterday for $290-ish after tax. I am not looking for a shop to have them installed. I got a quote for $325 installed at a shop near me. I will look around to see if I can get a better price.

I hope everyone is enjoying the summer!

edit: found someone to install rotors and pads for $240. I am having them done tomorrow morning :) also doing an inspection and tire rotation since im there and the wheels are off.

midtowndesi 07-22-2018 10:53 PM

Brake job details: (for my own records. maybe it'll help you).

I usually use only Toyota parts on my xB but this time, without the time available to order parts, i went to my local Autozone and purchased 4 new rotors and a set of front and rear brake pads.
I don't recall the specific details but the counter lady gave me 3 options for each in terms of price and I went with the middle option for both rotors and pads. The pads say they're semi-ceramic if i recall correctly.

Parts: 4 rotors + front and rear pads = $290
Price to install: $240 and only a 2 hour wait.

The mechanic said the rotors were pretty shot which is why I didn't consider resurfacing them. they were the original rotors with only 35k miles on them but he said they were pretty rusty.
So this is the 1st time I'm replacing the rotors on my xB.

midtowndesi 10-01-2018 02:29 PM

@ 37k miles today, after 5.5 years of ownership. still running like a champ but im considering replacing the battery just bc of it's age... hmmm... 5.5 years on the original battery. what's normal?

kidd 10-03-2018 10:10 AM

The sealed Panasonic was still going strong in my 08 when I replaced it last winter.

midtowndesi 10-22-2018 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by kidd (Post 4291375)
The sealed Panasonic was still going strong in my 08 when I replaced it last winter.

I appreciate the reply. Maybe I'll hold off on replacing it then :) Thank you for chiming in.

midtowndesi 06-12-2019 02:31 PM

I could have sworn I updated this this year but maybe not...? Is something funky going on with the boards here?

Anyway, I am at 6 years and 3 months into owner ship and i am at 43k miles. Still running amazingly.

It was suggested that I clean the throttle body at the next oil change and i may do that. It's pricey at $179 but i would prefer the dealer taking care of this than myself.

Just posting an update to keep this thread alive. Am I still the only one posting to Scion Life? ;)

midtowndesi 08-16-2019 02:56 PM

Update: I am at 6 years and 5 months into owner ship and I am at 43.9k miles.

Yesterday was an expensive day for me but for the better. I took my xb in to the dealer and had the following done:
- new air filter
- state inspection
- clean throttle body
- tire rotation
- replace bulb
- install brand new battery.

I do not have a lot of time and i was at the dealer anyway so to me, it made sense to do everything there to save on time plus i didnt have to get my hands dirty. the total $ was pricey ( I got almost $100 off with a coupon) but this was the most i've spent on the car in 6 and a half years so i am totally fine with it. for the next few years, it's mainly just oil changes , cabin/air filter and brakes like i've done for the last 6 years :)

XBroker 08-16-2019 04:31 PM

With such low miles, the throttle body cleaning was probably a waste.. Unless maybe you had issues.? The original battery is still going strong in my 2011.

Originally Posted by midtowndesi (Post 4284756)
that sucks that you were not able to use/install a hitch... any chance of you finding a replacement bumber you can hack up to have a hitch fit...? is this too much effort?

I found a hitch for my RS, but the xB can't really tow much so.. I passed.

midtowndesi 08-16-2019 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by XBroker (Post 4295115)
With such low miles, the throttle body cleaning was probably a waste.. Unless maybe you had issues.? The original battery is still going strong in my 2011.

I found a hitch for my RS, but the xB can't really tow much so.. I passed.

XBroker! So happy to hear from you. I hope and the family are well my friend.

I did the throttle body service at the dealers suggestion (surprise surprise) but i did it more as a pre-emptive measure as opposed to there being a problem. at least i dont have to worry now for quite some time. same with the battery. we get tough winters here (-10 degrees at times) and i was on the original battery so i replaced it now (6.5 years into ownership) so i wont have the problem of trying to start my car with a dead battery this summer. maybe it could have lasted another couple years but maybe it would have died this winter so no one knows. all i know is that i dont have to worry about that anymore and the piece of mind, to me, is worth it.

how is your xb doing and how many miles are you at?

as for the hitch, i installed it when i used to plow snow with my car. since having kids, i dont do that anymore haha. but i can still use it to haul bicycles now for when my kids get older, in a couple of years. other than that, i havent used the thing in like 2 years LOL

XBroker 08-16-2019 06:42 PM

Hope you all are well too. Ah. yes... I remember now reading about your plowing. I'd like a hitch to hold a 260 lb Kymco like 200i. But I doubt the tongue weight would allow for that, plus there is the weight of the bike rack, about 40 lbs.
Some of us cheat on our batteries. We use one of & they last at least twice as long. My xB is up to 58k miles. I recently tuned it up, changed the oil & trans fluid.
I also recently tinted it and my Lexus to block out the radiation from all the cell towers and hot spots. Cost me over 2k. Literally no one is doing that these days.

Maybe one day they'll wish they did. https://wtwup.blogspot.com/2019/03/t...nst-satan.html

XBroker 08-16-2019 08:24 PM

Here is a link to the hitch that fits the RS 8.0. I spoke to them on the phone to be sure. Haven't tried it yet myself.
https://www.carid.com/draw-tite/trai...l#applications