Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Anyone have a clue when mileage is going to be released?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Anyone have a clue when mileage is going to be released?

Launch is getting pretty darn close. In another thread, one person said the mileage ratings were already published for the xD, so what is going on with the xB?

Are they just going to poll the first 1000 owners or what? (j/k)

I know the testing method for the EPA is changing for 2008; maybe they are making last minutes software changes to get the mileage up or something.

In previous launches, has it been announced as little as 1 month before official release?
Old 04-09-2007, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member

I asked around at the backstage in orange county and was told that this info was to be released on the 25th of this month. Anyone else hear this info. I was a little suprised to get such a straight answer from the guy but I guess we will wait and see
Old 04-10-2007, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

It sounded like they knew the answer but could not say anything.............Maybe it has to come from the EPA.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unless the numbers aren't that great and they think it will affect all the hype. I posted b4 about gettin the scion book from the autoshow and the xd which isn't released untill later this year has gas mileage numbers already of 32/37 for the manual and 30/34 for the auto, and the xb all they have is N/A for both. So my guess the numbers aren't that great and they r useing the tc gearing instead of the 02-04 2.4L camry's gearing.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OldYeller
It sounded like they knew the answer but could not say anything.............Maybe it has to come from the EPA.
If they are still working with the EPA on getting the testing and certification completed (which could be a possibility as the EPA is always way behind on implementing anything), they could be in violation of laws by making ANY projections that could later be purported to have been misrepresenting the "TRUE EPA" gas-mileage (both for fraud as well as misstating the "official" estimates.)

I suspect that its more of a case of the EPA dragging their asses rather than Toyota (having worked for them for a while, on TDY, years ago.)
Old 04-10-2007, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DriverXa
Unless the numbers aren't that great and they think it will affect all the hype. I posted b4 about gettin the scion book from the autoshow and the xd which isn't released untill later this year has gas mileage numbers already of 32/37 for the manual and 30/34 for the auto, and the xb all they have is N/A for both. So my guess the numbers aren't that great and they r useing the tc gearing instead of the 02-04 2.4L camry's gearing.
I am beginning to doubt the numbers in that book, Driver. Those numbers have to be in the 2008 EPA standard as it is a 2008 model. They cannot post 2007 numbers for a 2008, and Mickie3 is correct in saying that they cannot advertise anything other than EPA certified numbers. (Toyota actually wanted to advertize lower numbers for it's Prius so that customers would not be disppointed, but it was/is illegal)

The Yaris, on which that car is based, gets 29/36 in the new test (with a manual transmission). How could the xD get better mileage than the Yaris being on the same platform and being heavier, worse areodynamically, and having a bigger engine?

The Matrix, which prolly weighs about the same or at most 200 lbs more than the new xD, has similar aero, and has the same engine/tranny gets 26/33 in the new tests.

Actually, I am pretty sure the Yaris is the third most fuel efficient gasoline vehicle sold in the US, behind the Civic hybrid and the Prius. If those numbers are correct, the xD will be taking the crown as the most fuel efficient non-diesel, non-hybrid vehicle availible.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Yaris, on which that car is based, gets 29/36 in the new test (with a manual transmission). How could the xD get better mileage than the Yaris being on the same platform and being heavier, worse areodynamically, and having a bigger engine?
The answer is: Dual VVT-i. For instance, the new Tundra 5.7, 381 hp, gets better milage than the 4.7 V8 with 100 less hp!

The question you should be asking is why the Corolla gets the same milage as the Yaris. Bigger motor, bigger car, intake only VVT-i on both motors. What are we missing here?
Old 04-10-2007, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Corolla gets 27/37 in the new test, slightly higher hwy but lower city than the Yaris. It weighs 2600 lbs, about what I expect the xD to weigh.

The Tundra with the 4.7 and the 5-speed auto gets 15/18, and with the 5.7 and the 6-speed auto gets 14/18. (both 2007 numbers, both 4wd) The interesting thing is that in the 2wd models, the 4.7 stays the same, but the 5.7 jumps to 16/20. That is really wierd.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL

The answer is: Dual VVT-i.
Does the 2.4l in the new xB have dual VVT-i? Does any 2.4l have it?
Old 04-10-2007, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bigfieroman

The answer is: Dual VVT-i.
Does the 2.4l in the new xB have dual VVT-i? Does any 2.4l have it?
Nope. Once Toyota gets the algorithms straightened out and the production line reworked for the 2.4, all 2.4's will start being produced with it. It's a lot bigger undertaking than any other enigine because of the Camry, the tC, xB2, and the Rav all use that motor. Which makes it the number one produced engine for Toyata.

And btw, when you add displacement and vehicle weight and still get the almost the same milage, I consider that "better" milage.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The question you should be asking is why the Corolla gets the same milage as the Yaris. Bigger motor, bigger car, intake only VVT-i on both motors. What are we missing here?
Because the engine doesn't have to work as hard in the Corolla as in the Yaris to pull the weight of the car, so the engine doesn't keep sucking gas. Therefore an engine that would otherwise be more fuel efficient isn't as fuel efficient as it could be in the Yaris.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I still find it hard to believe, but we'll see. 32/37 for EPA2008 is equal to 38/41 in the old tests!!!

That is better than a 2035 lb 2-door Toyota Echo with the 1.5l, it only got 35/42, and beats the pants off of any other modern non-hybrid car.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toolarmyaj
I asked around at the backstage in orange county and was told that this info was to be released on the 25th of this month. Anyone else hear this info. I was a little suprised to get such a straight answer from the guy but I guess we will wait and see
Ohh well, looks like the people at the backstage were mistaken. I do expect it to be announced tomorrow though, coinciding with the new scion.com going up.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:09 PM

I was told MPG was gonna be announced on the 25th by the "Answer Guy" @ the San Diego event, I wonder if what he meant was corporate release of the MPG. Someone should ask one of the dealers on here.

My bet is it will be 22 city and 28 highway based on the new EPA rating system.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

I think that's probably right. the 26th is where my money is.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by todasiracing
My bet is it will be 22 city and 28 highway based on the new EPA rating system.
I sure hope you are right, I have it pegged at 20/28 (2008 EPA, manual transmission) which is identical to the tC...if anything, it could be a bit lower unless Toyota pulls something out (always possible).
Old 04-25-2007, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

HYBRIDHYBRIDHYBRIDHYBRIDHYBRID

Yeah right, NEVER gonna happen, but that would be nice!
Old 04-25-2007, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey, I can dream! Like I said, 20/28 or slightly lower.

The only reason I am leaving for the possibility of something better is Toyota's reaction to the new standards. I bet Toyota is doing everything to avoid the xB getting owned by the new standard. They are most likely tuning the car to do well in the test, and they included electric power steering (not sure if the tC has that, but it does offer a mileage benefit). So, my earlier predictions were 19/27 to 22/29, with my best guess being 20/28. I feel that tuning changes and EPS should be enough to offset the 100 lb weight gain and the worse aero (though much better than the old xB).

I guess we will probably find out tomorrow. I would be shocked if it was outside my predicted range in either direction. (not trying to sound like egotist, just saying it is unlikely considering the information currently availible)
Old 06-04-2007, 02:02 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just realized this thread never had the actual EPA estimates posted in it...

Tom