Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Car Security questions (accident pictures added)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Car Security questions (accident pictures added)

I've been reading around here for a little while, but never bothered to register or post.

There's a semi interesting story here which can be skipped to the bolded question.

So I got myself a new Scion Xb in mid march. Exactly 1 week after I get my car in the middle of the night some moron plows into my car and 2 others at my apartment parking lot. Dude leaves his car and has run away.

Now I actually heard this idiot actually woke me up when I heard him swerving down the street a couple blocks away and then I heard the actual crash but I couldn't fathom some stupid and talented enough to somehow turn off the street and collide into 3 park cars in a covered and lighted parking area so I ignored it and went back to sleep. Dumb mistake, as the next morning I turn around the bend of my apartment to get to my car I see a police car and 3 crooked cars including my own.

Luckily my insurance covered $7000+ of damages. But I'm out 500 bucks for the deductible plus 600+ in rental car fees. (If people want pics of the damage for fun I'll post them)

It seems to me that if I had some kind of alarm/security/pager then I could possibly have gotten up in time to find this likely drunk/stoned/retarded driver and be able to get some kind of reimbursement back from him.

Now here comes the question. Should I get some kind of car security?

It isn't likely that this is going to happen to me again in my lifetime. It is a bone stock Xb with virtually no accessories and no intention to get anything major added.

But I do keep things from time to time in my car, I will be spending time in California's Central Valley which is notorious for car thefts (near Fresno) in the coming months. After which I'm moving into San Francisco into an area with also has some what of a reputation for cars getting stolen. In my youthful misguided days I hung out with people who boosted cars so I realize how easy it is and how they're everywhere.

So I'm trying to determine IF a car alarm or some form of security is worth the investment. And IF it is worth it, what kind should I get.

I'm thinking about getting a silent pager one, because the alarms just annoy people and don't help. Can anyone recommend a brand and how much I should be looking at?
Cruising around craigslist for random things I stumbled on these to ads? Do they look like decent deals?

I've e-mailed this firs guy, so if you want some more details about his stuff I can put them up.
BRAND NEW CAR ALARM INSTALLED (MOST VEHICLES) $99.99 CASH!
INCLUDES........................
*** - TWO 2 BUTTON REMOTES - ***
*** - DUAL ZONE SHOCK SENSOR - ***
*** - HIGH OUTPUT 6-TONE SIREN - ***
*** - STATUS LED - ***
*** - VALET SWITCH - ***
EXTRAS AVAILABLE FOR ADDITIONAL FEE
--- REMOTE DOOR LOCKING / POWER DOOR LOCKS REQUIRED ---
--- STARTER KILL ---
--- TRUNK RELEASE ---
--- HORN HONK ---
--- ILLUMININATED ENTRY ---
MOBILE INSTALL AVAILABLE BY APPOINTMENT...................
OTHER ALARMS AVAILABLE
----PAGER ALARM---- $ ???
----REMOTE START---- $ ???

MECP CERTIFIED INSTALLER!!!!
I am a private installer, i can drive to your place or you can come to mine for the service. all my services are guaranteed by me, i had many customer on craigslist.

**** IF YOU ARE INTERESTED PLEASE EMAIL ME WITH A PHONE NUMBER, THE YEAR MAKE AND MODEL OF YOUR CAR AND I WILL CONTACT ASAP!!!!

I CAN INSTALL MOST CAR ALARM FOR $140. EVERYTHING INCLUDE: BRAND NEW ALARM, 2 REMOTES, brand(code alarm).
I CAN ALSO ADD POWER DOOR LOCKS autostart 2 way pager (viper 791xv or clifford rsx 3.5)

****HERE ARE MY PRICING*****
1. BASIC ALARM - $140 installed
2. ADD POWER DOOR LOCKS - $35 PER DOOR
3. VIPER/CLIFFORD 2 WAY REMOTE PAGER ALARM - $280 INSTALLED
4. VIPER/CLIFFORD AUTOSTART PAGER - $320
5. ADD TRUNK RELEASE - $40 MOST CARS
6. ADD Bluetooth with OEM Looks - $200
***** PLEASE NOTE,-- I AM A PRIVATE INSTALLER, I INSTALL ALARMS FOR CAR DEALERSHIP, THIS IS NOT A SHOP******

I CAN ALSO DO MOBILE SERVICE WHICH IS ADDITIONAL $20-$40 DRIVE TO YOU

BASIC ALARM FEATURE-- starter killed, horn, light, panic, dual stage shock sensor, door trigger, trunk release(optional), lock and unlock, can add to OEM security system without loosing the stock remote and many more.
Thanks for help.

Pictures
These were the two cars next to mine.

Wider view of the 2 cars.

My car

Close up of some of the damage
Old 05-21-2008, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, an alarm is a good thing to have.. go with a good brand.. i've had WAYYYY too many problems with code alarm... go with anything by DEI.. Viper, Python, Clifford, Hornet... i wish you lived close to here.. i'd do it for you =P

just think of additional convenience features.. such as illuminated entry *i think the scion already has this though, i didn't have my car long enough without an alarm to find out though*, which is when you press unlock your interior lights come on, starter kill, remote start *wonderful* window roll up modules *rolls windows up when you lock the car, and can roll the windows down via remote.. also adds one touch up/down to all windows*
Old 05-21-2008, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the input. How much should a system you're talking about run installed?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

sorry to hear about the accident

i just got a viper installed in my 08 tc at best buy. the guy who installed it also has a tc and is somewhere on this forum.

i paid 250 with tax. its a 350hv i think. they have one with a pager system for about 350 installed. since he is a scion owner he made a few mods to make it look nice and made sure that it was some of his high quality work.

i know there are a lot of cheaper alarms out there, i have one in my truck as a matter of fact. i just wanted a good alarm to put on a new car. its also upgradeable since you can add modules to it.

the only downside to it is that i have to carry another fob to control the alarm, havent seen if i can use the buttons on the factory key to control the alarm.

good luck
Old 05-21-2008, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well depends on where you go.. typically remote start alarm w/ keyless runs about $350-$500 installed at a shop... depending on which model.. there's are LED pagers, LCD pagers.. and ones without pagers at all.. but pagers are good to have.. i have the new DEI Python 872.. which is the Responder LE model.. 2 way led remote.. with hidden led's in the remote.. it runs like $399 + install...
Old 05-21-2008, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

These are the prices I'm getting.

Keyless Upgrade 225 (I think Hornet)
Scytek Paging 250
Viper 791xv/Clifford rsx 3.5 280 (320 with autostart)

There is one more store local that's supposed to be good that I will call tomorrow. Circuit City or Best Buys good deals?

Thanks again for the info.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ccity or bestbuy could be good or bad.. i'd talk to the installers first.. ask some of the salespeople who are the more experienced installers.. there are good installers.. bad installers.. and amazing installers at both locations... i've been at ccity for about 5 years now and i don't do crappy work at all.. just nice clean work and i take the time to make sure things are well done
Old 05-21-2008, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is the $469 factory car alarm worth getting or should I put that $469 towards an aftermarket alarm?
Old 05-21-2008, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It seems like you can get a better after market alarm with pager/remote start for around the $456 OEM alarm or less.

Alarm+Remote start from Scion costs 1000 bucks.

It doesn't like it's worth it.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got mine at Fry's Electronics- $290 installed- Clifford Matrix 12.5x

6 Channel 2-Way Security/Keyless Entry System
Confirms commands and system triggers on the transceiver LCD screen
Clone-Safe® Code-Hopping®
Roll up windows(2 fronts)
On-Board Door Lock Relays
Parking Light Flash
Failsafe® Starter Kill
Remote Adjustable Dual Zone Shock Sensor
Six-Tone Siren
Super Bright LED System Status Indicator
Dome Light Supervision - On-Board Relay
Retained Accessory Power
Comfort Closure
5 Auxiliary Outputs
Horn Honk
Includes One 2-Way Responder Transceiver and One 4-Button Transmitter
Trunk release
Old 05-21-2008, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what is the point of getting an alarm because of this occurance? you think that next time somebody hits your car in the middle of the night, you'll get up and call the cops in time to catch him? or you'll run out there with a baseball bat to smack him around?
Old 05-21-2008, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
what is the point of getting an alarm because of this occurance? you think that next time somebody hits your car in the middle of the night, you'll get up and call the cops in time to catch him? or you'll run out there with a baseball bat to smack him around?
i tend to kinda agree with this guy. if someone is stealing my car, i dont think i'd really stop him. i'd probably call the cops but thats about it. also,these pagers only have use if youre within range. in other words, if i leave my car at the mall or college parking lot and i walk in and go from store to store or class to class i'm not going to know its being broken into. its not like it has a built in radio system and calls you.

with that said, a cheap alarm is better than no alarm. alarms are a deterrent. but the difference between a cheapie and an expensive one is nothing but pricey luxury features.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TLS317
It isn't likely that this is going to happen to me again in my lifetime. It is a bone stock Xb with virtually no accessories and no intention to get anything major added.

But I do keep things from time to time in my car, I will be spending time in California's Central Valley which is notorious for car thefts (near Fresno) in the coming months. After which I'm moving into San Francisco into an area with also has some what of a reputation for cars getting stolen. In my youthful misguided days I hung out with people who boosted cars so I realize how easy it is and how they're everywhere.
I stated that it isn't likely it's going to happen again and that I'm not getting it because of it. And yes, if it happened again I would call the police and I would proceed to find the hardest, heaviest thing I can swing and beat the crap out of them.

I am getting it because of hindsight and more practically because I'm moving to areas that have a ridiculous car theft rates (Modesto, Fresno) for a while and then moving into an area in San Francisco that I know people will steal cars or break into .
Old 05-21-2008, 06:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ErnieS
i tend to kinda agree with this guy. if someone is stealing my car, i dont think i'd really stop him. i'd probably call the cops but thats about it. also,these pagers only have use if youre within range. in other words, if i leave my car at the mall or college parking lot and i walk in and go from store to store or class to class i'm not going to know its being broken into. its not like it has a built in radio system and calls you.

with that said, a cheap alarm is better than no alarm. alarms are a deterrent. but the difference between a cheapie and an expensive one is nothing but pricey luxury features.
The dude wasn't stealing my car, he was (probably) drunk out of his mind and he ran away. If this happened again I'd probably be able to stop.

I know about stealing cars is. I'm ashamed to say it but I've been apart of it in my younger days (not personally boosting the cars per se, but a strip down guy). If someone wants to steal your car, it's going to be stolen. But I know with the casual thief if I have a got a choice between cars that have an alarm and one that doesn't, even if I can bypass the alarm, unless there is something I really want in it I'll go for the easier, alarmless car.

I'll likely have to park my car on a nearby street or at best an adjoined parking lot at night and I know if I get paged and I do something as walk around with a flash light it's likely to deter a thief.

I understand car alarms are not the most effective anti-theft device, but it'd give me piece of mind, a discount on car insurance, and it will deter casual/lazy car thieves.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you know you are going to be parking in areas where break-ins or auto theft might occur, the best thing you can do is lower your comprehensive deductible to $100. I pay $40 /year more for $100 comp. deductible than I would for $500 comp. deductible. This also comes in handy for windshield replacements.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Maybe get a smoke system like this.

http://www.smokemachines.net/buy-car...y-system.shtml

I've seen another American based system but I can't find it.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chadfo
Maybe get a smoke system like this.

http://www.smokemachines.net/buy-car...y-system.shtml

I've seen another American based system but I can't find it.
Thanks for the tip, but I think I'll stick to something more traditional.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by my_cubicle_part2
i got mine at Fry's Electronics- $290 installed- Clifford Matrix 12.5x

6 Channel 2-Way Security/Keyless Entry System
Confirms commands and system triggers on the transceiver LCD screen
Clone-Safe® Code-Hopping®
Roll up windows(2 fronts)
On-Board Door Lock Relays
Parking Light Flash
Failsafe® Starter Kill
Remote Adjustable Dual Zone Shock Sensor
Six-Tone Siren
Super Bright LED System Status Indicator
Dome Light Supervision - On-Board Relay
Retained Accessory Power
Comfort Closure
5 Auxiliary Outputs
Horn Honk
Includes One 2-Way Responder Transceiver and One 4-Button Transmitter
Trunk release
That seems like a good deal on pretty much exactly what I want. I don't think they have that price here where I am though. Where (state/area/or where ever)and when did you get this?

I haven't gotten a hold of the Fry's car alarm prices but the install is 100 bucks. And they said it'd take 5 hours. Every other place I've called (about six others) haven't said anything longer than 2 hours. So I'm skeptical.

Circuit City has ridiculous prices. It's 200 bucks for a basic alarm or 600+ for a really super nice one, nothing in between. Best Buy has decent prices and I'm considering them.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah.. i don't know why we don't carry non-paging remstart alarms.. i've always thought it was dumb.. but yeah.. $149 gets you alarm.. $199 alarm keyless.. then like $379... $559.. $629 i think.. you could always go ebay.. get a DEI alarm on there and install yourself =P
Old 05-21-2008, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

sometimes you dont want a quick turn around on an alarm install, dont want to rush quality work. it took about 3.5 hours for mine.

i had a quick install on my truck and after awhile i was getting engine trouble, it wouldnt start. it ended up being the kill switch wire wasnt attached well enough and with the vibrations it got loose.

with best buy, you have a warranty on the install.

Quick Reply: Car Security questions (accident pictures added)