Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Engine Wiring Harness Issue Followed by low MPG

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Engine Wiring Harness Issue Followed by low MPG

As I have already complained about in other posts, my mpg tanked about 3 months ago when I had to get my engine wiring harness replaced. I wanted to start this thread to see who else on this forum had to get their wiring harness replaced and if their mpg was or is affected by it.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

*Subscribed*

When I start removing my performance mods and inspect my xB, I'll post up my results here and see what happens.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rjjone2
As I have already complained about in other posts, my mpg tanked about 3 months ago when I had to get my engine wiring harness replaced. I wanted to start this thread to see who else on this forum had to get their wiring harness replaced and if their mpg was or is affected by it.
Darn dude, your RS 5 should be way past the serial number cutoff for the engine harness TSB. What's the story? (also, what is "tanked" and what does your dealer say.)
Old 01-12-2011, 01:01 AM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Had mine replaced but didnt notice any difference. You sure its not because of the winter blend gas and colder weather which = lower mpg?
Old 01-12-2011, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Let the ECU relearn the fuel trims etc. Then you'll see your MPG go back up. Whenever you disconnect the battery, the computer has to relearn everything.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by buickid
Let the ECU relearn the fuel trims etc. Then you'll see your MPG go back up. Whenever you disconnect the battery, the computer has to relearn everything.
How long does this take? I've been driving for 4 months since I had it replaced.

Originally Posted by AAG
Had mine replaced but didnt notice any difference. You sure its not because of the winter blend gas and colder weather which = lower mpg?
Could be I guess but we're talking a drop of 6-7 mpg here. Is that possible from just winter blend fuel?

Originally Posted by TrevorS
Darn dude, your RS 5 should be way past the serial number cutoff for the engine harness TSB. What's the story? (also, what is "tanked" and what does your dealer say.)
It wasn't. I got the CEL light, traction control, and stability control lights all at once. Looked it up and saw the tsb. Took it to the dealer and they said that's what it was. I complained about my poor gas mileage then and they said it was cause of the bad harness. I have not talked to them about it since they replaced it.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:39 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Could be I guess but we're talking a drop of 6-7 mpg here. Is that possible from just winter blend fuel?
It's possible especially if you're riding on 19's.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh never mind. It should relearn within 100 miles of driving or so...
Old 01-20-2011, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm biting the bullet and taking it in tomorrow. Last tank I averaged 20 mpg with some highway driving everyday and i just gassed it up and haven't seen over 18 yet.

When I called to make the appt. the service rep was like "Well low mpg is one of the hardest things to diagnose on a car."

So i figure that I'll fork over an hours worth of labor to them to just hear them say that they didn't find anything.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:44 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

How are you calculating your gas mileage? What does "some" hwy driving mean? How fast are you going on the hwy?

If there are no codes, you're wasting your time and money taking it to the dealer. Do you smell gas? Are you idling a lot? Have you kept up with the maintenance (fluids & filters)? Have you checked your tire pressure? There's alot of things that could cause the poor gas mileage.

You may need to get one of those things that plugs in to your obd2 port to see if your car is running rich. Running rich + cold weather + winter blend gas with 10% ethanol + heavy wheels I'm guessing are the main culprits.

Last edited by AAG; 01-20-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
How are you calculating your gas mileage? What does "some" hwy driving mean? How fast are you going on the hwy?

If there are no codes, you're wasting your time and money taking it to the dealer. Do you smell gas? Are you idling a lot? Have you kept up with the maintenance (fluids & filters)? Have you checked your tire pressure? There's alot of things that could cause the poor gas mileage.

You may need to get one of those things that plugs in to your obd2 port to see if your car is running rich. Running rich + cold weather + winter blend gas with 10% ethanol + heavy wheels I'm guessing are the main culprits.
For 4 months I was doing the ol' calculator method (number of miles driven/how many gallons i would fill up with). Then I started using my carputer and found that it was usually 1 or 2 miles higher than what I was calculating. So if my dash said 20mpg I was actually getting 19.

Some hwy means about 30 minutes a day at 65mph. But I live in a pretty rural area and don't go through many lights. Anyways when I went on a long trip I was averaging 23mpg hwy. In a large city I get 16 mpg.

There is not a CEL light but the ECU is always spitting out codes (pending). I believe I have smelled gas.

Everything is fresh and new (air filter, plugs, MAF cleaned, fluids). My tire pressure is exactly spec.

I do not have the obdII tool. I suspect I am running rich as well but why is the question. That's what I'm going to the dealer for. And my alloy wheels are lighter than stock by 7 lbs per wheel so if anything I should be getting better gas mileage than stock wheels. 19" alloy wheels weight less than stock steel wheels.

I used winter blend gasoline all last winter and did not notice this hit to my fuel economy.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:23 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Maybe try swaping the ECU with another one. Ive seen a few on ebay and thats the only other thing I can think of. If you smell gas thats def a concern...
Old 01-20-2011, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
Maybe try swaping the ECU with another one. Ive seen a few on ebay and thats the only other thing I can think of. If you smell gas thats def a concern...
Yeah I am crazy enough to resort to something like this. I tend to let stuff like this really get to me. I would say that when I let my car idle for a long period of time, I can begin to smell gas inside the car. But its not often.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/26/bu...26ethanol.html

"Some drivers think the change is notably greater. Chuck Mai, a vice president of AAA Oklahoma, reported that his organization has been getting calls from members blaming E10 for mileage drops of 8 to 20 percent.

Drivers in Tulsa, he said, are complaining to their local service stations , saying, “ ‘I used to get 28 mpg; last time around, I’m getting 25. What’s going on?’ ”"

So after taking it to the dealership, I was basically told that my xB is functioning perfectly normal and that its the gasoline. 10% ethanol. I've been reading up about it online. I don't think its a "winter blend" issue. I mentioned this to the dealer and they basically laughed at me. For those that have said "winter blend" can you elaborate?
Old 01-27-2011, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think its a "winter blend" issue. I mentioned this to the dealer and they basically laughed at me. For those that have said "winter blend" can you elaborate?
http://ask.cars.com/2009/02/whats-th...y-cars-pe.html
http://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/Winte...22955-413.aspx
http://www.theoildrum.com/story/2006/9/13/234043/431