Old 04-29-2012, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pictures at post #395
Old 04-30-2012, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Long story short, finally got the dealership to replace my waterpump, I was at 59800 miles, been leaking sence about 52k, had 200 left on warranty, had to make a scene just to get them to change it. It was losing almost the entire overflow tank every 3k, they claimed that to be normal.. Normal to leak dangerous chemicals all over the ground!? bastards.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NocturnalxRS6
Long story short, finally got the dealership to replace my waterpump, I was at 59800 miles, been leaking sence about 52k, had 200 left on warranty, had to make a scene just to get them to change it. It was losing almost the entire overflow tank every 3k, they claimed that to be normal.. Normal to leak dangerous chemicals all over the ground!? bastards.
What dealer did you go to? i went to the one in Puyallup. Went in there to fix my broken coils (cough*) and ask them about the pump. They changed it without asking questions the same day.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just looked under the hood on my 2008 xB. Very low mileage but found the residue on the under hood liner. Have never had to replace a water pump. Hope it is covered under the extended warranty.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
I've got the pink spray line on the bottom of my hood too (47k miles); I guess it's off to the dealership.

Glad I got the Toyota Platinum extended service contract, so at least I know replacements will be covered up to 100k miles.
I also have the same extended warranty. Did you have the work done and was it covered?
Old 04-30-2012, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mickkassem
I also have the same extended warranty. Did you have the work done and was it covered?
It was done at that time, and covered by the original 5 year/60k mile powertrain warranty. That pump lasted until I traded it in back in December with 98k miles on it.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by r2d2michael
What dealer did you go to? i went to the one in Puyallup. Went in there to fix my broken coils (cough*) and ask them about the pump. They changed it without asking questions the same day.
Larson south Tacoma way, they are terrible.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Michael's Toyota did pump and coils no fuss at all. I know it's outta the way for you.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NocturnalxRS6
Larson south Tacoma way, they are terrible.

ahh dude i know.i bought my car there! they even tried to say i had to pay for my 1st 2 oil changes lol
Old 05-01-2012, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by r2d2michael

Is that Scion of Puyallup? I hear their techs do good work. Their parts dept is excellent and they run the Scionpartspeople website. (I have bought several things from them and I am very impressed with their professionalism and great price.)
Old 05-01-2012, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by journeyforce
Is that Scion of Puyallup? I hear their techs do good work. Their parts dept is excellent and they run the Scionpartspeople website. (I have bought several things from them and I am very impressed with their professionalism and great price.)
yes it is!. if anyone in the tacoma, wa area needs to get there pump replaced i would go there again in a heart beat!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:49 AM

Well took my car in Yesterday, got the Water Pump replaced (warranty) and they said "They found the leak!!" We shall see, this would be the 3rd time I have complained about a leak in my car!
Old 05-15-2012, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

after i replaced my water pump, i noticed a slight overall MPG improvement. or is it just me??! ive been using 0w20 for a while, but i came up +2mpg after the replacement pump.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:12 AM

Just bought a 08 with 72k on the odo and my coolant tank is just shy of low and I have a pink stripe on the hood liner. I hope it's covered under my 90 day or 3k internal lubricated parts only dealer warranty....
Old 06-30-2012, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Enviromoto
Just bought a 08 with 72k on the odo and my coolant tank is just shy of low and I have a pink stripe on the hood liner. I hope it's covered under my 90 day or 3k internal lubricated parts only dealer warranty....
Called my dealer today. They seem willing to investigate and replace the pump. We'll see.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:53 PM

Just got a call. The waterpump is bad and it isn't covered under warranty. However since I've owned it less than a week they are replacing it for free.

Thanks scionlife without this thread I wouldn't have caught it as quick and could have had a heavy service bill on my hands.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just an update from me...

2008 xB is now at 70K miles... No leak or anything seen so far *knock on wood*. I did have the coolant drop back at 35K miles or whatever, but they found no leak and topped it off. It dropped a bit after (which I topped off) and it never has dropped since. May of just been a poor seal with the cap and was evaporating. When working on my dads 2010 Prius he had a very similiar coolant loss. I topped it off for him and we will see if it drops anymore. No sign of any leak.

What is the cost at a dealership for a water pump replacement anyway out of warranty?

Here is to hoping for another 75K+ miles with no leaks!
Old 09-04-2012, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So my water pump is starting to make scary noises and I've decided to replace it. I've always had the pink stain on the hood liner and have had to top off coolant every 3 months or so, but I've never had any overheating issues so I've left it alone. Well now its making grinding noises and I'm afraid the coolant leakage has eroded something in the pump and it will likely seize up on me soon.

So here's my question: Has anyone written up a DIY on replacing the water pump in an xB2? I've found a write up for a TC (which, yes, I know is the same 2az-fe) so that gives me a great starting point, however I know that the engine sits differently in our xB2s and I'm not sure to go about getting to the pump. Is it easier from the bottom removing the AC compressor, or from the top removing the alternator?

So if anyone out there has done this on their xB2, would you be so kind as to post a little DIY list of steps? It really doesn't even need pictures to be honest. Thanks guys!

Oh, and one other thing. What brand of water pump (and where to buy) is the most recommended for eliminating the coolant leakage in the future? I don't want to get the economical AutoZone brand pump and have the same issue 10k miles down the road.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Enviromoto
im guessing it WASN'T SCION CERTIFIED?? if it was i believe its covered to 120K....
Old 09-09-2012, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tenshun
So my water pump is starting to make scary noises and I've decided to replace it. I've always had the pink stain on the hood liner and have had to top off coolant every 3 months or so, but I've never had any overheating issues so I've left it alone. Well now its making grinding noises and I'm afraid the coolant leakage has eroded something in the pump and it will likely seize up on me soon.

So here's my question: Has anyone written up a DIY on replacing the water pump in an xB2? I've found a write up for a TC (which, yes, I know is the same 2az-fe) so that gives me a great starting point, however I know that the engine sits differently in our xB2s and I'm not sure to go about getting to the pump. Is it easier from the bottom removing the AC compressor, or from the top removing the alternator?

So if anyone out there has done this on their xB2, would you be so kind as to post a little DIY list of steps? It really doesn't even need pictures to be honest. Thanks guys!

Oh, and one other thing. What brand of water pump (and where to buy) is the most recommended for eliminating the coolant leakage in the future? I don't want to get the economical AutoZone brand pump and have the same issue 10k miles down the road.
Presuming the tC writeup is good, just follow it. The engine cooling system is the same as the xB2. The only difference between the two engines is the tC makes a little more HP/TQ thanks to the CAMs. No big deal!

Quick Reply: Epidemic Water Pump Problem!