5 Year Member
SL Member

yes you think they would take my money
carlson toyota coon rapids 763-427-3200
Old 10-15-2009, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why the big worry about this? Don't flush the fluid... Just go buy 4 quarts of WS fluid from your dealer, get the car hot then pull the plug. Let drain and refill with 3.5qts. Do this every 10-15k miles and your fluid will be good as new.

I did mine at 17k and 30k, and my fluid is identical to brand new in color. Red as can be.

Dealer told me they will not flush the transmission, unless specifically ordered by customer. Otherwise, they just do fluid changes to not risk damage.

But yeah, the fluid change is 1/2 the work of an oil change, so why not do it? Remove plug, let drain, plug it and torque, and replace fluid. Easy as that.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Let me get this straight..... So your saying that just doing a "Drain & Fill" is JUST AS GOOD if not better than doing a full transmission flush? What do you do for a living? It's an honest question. I would like you to answer it. Please.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Screw the fluid change, I just dont agree with that method. I'll find a dealer that will do a proper flush at 50k.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude, what the hell got your panties in a bunch? Honestly...

I NEVER said that drain/fill is better than a flush. Read what I said again, you will not find such a statement. I was just saying what to do as preventative maintenance versus doing a full out flush. Not to mention, flushes are "grey areas" for a few car manufacturers. But I am not saying that is the truth.

By doing drain and fills, you will replace partial percentages of the fluid. After 3-4 drain/fills you will replenish a lot of the original fluid. No, it will not be 100% clean as the ratio will be exponential, but additives will be replenished. I don't feel like doing the equations, but I can honestly tell you, it does make a difference.

Oh, and like it matters what I do, I will entertain you anyway... I am a 3.5 year mechanical engineering student with a little more then 1.5yrs+ of mechanical engineering job experience, including ceramics, computed tomography and aerospace.

I was just giving my insight into the subject, I did give the "end all" statement you make it seem to be.

Anyway...

Last edited by Invertalon; 10-16-2009 at 02:44 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:26 AM
Hix
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like turtles
Old 10-16-2009, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Deleted.....

Last edited by elwaylite; 10-16-2009 at 03:09 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Never mind, I see that it was not meant for me....Sorry, putting pin back in grenade...
Old 10-16-2009, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Invertalon Thank you. I was wondering what you do because you are a 21 year old man with an "opinion". Not a lot different than most anyone out there. I guess I do get my panties wadded up because I have made my living as a highly trained professional in the automotive repair business for a very long time now. I am sure that if I got on a site and told folks something about your field that led people to do things that were not in their best interest I would wadd you up at least a little. I was looking to compair some portion of your field to how you responeded.

Truth is that flushing a transmission is the only way to remove deposits. It's the only way to "clean" the inside of the transmission. It's the only way to get the torque converter (in an automatic) fluid cycled out. A proper fluid flush will cycle on average 16 quarts of fluid through a system that does not hold 16 quarts. It also adds a cleaner at the start of the flush to do the cleaning and a conditioner at the end of the flush to promote smoth shifting.

As you are well aware, as a machine runs, the friction creates wear, changes tolerances, changes performance. It talkes something much less than the width of a human hair to cause your transmission to stop working correctly. Simply draining out a portion of the fluid and topping it off is a much better alternative than just doing nothing. Truth is that doing a full flush is the correct way to do it.

Why does Toyota say no to flushing? It would take a while to go through all of it, but for the most part it boils down to WARRANTY COVERAGE. Leave it alone and it will surely last to beat warranty. Take KIA & HYUNDAI, they have it in writting that if you do not flush the trans every 30K, they will not honor your 100K powertrain warranty portion that covers the transmission. Why? Cause the warranty period is so long. Hmmmm....If your like me and will keep it till the wheels fall off, then flushing it every 30-50K miles will extend the life and like new performance of the trans.

I will get off my rant now. I don't want to make anyone mad, I just want to be sure that people know the truth about what the "Dealers" or should I say the industry as a whole has been telling folks for years. Most service advisors know nothing about their industry. But I agree that I got into a wadd to an extent. Sorry. Nothing intended by it. Rant off now.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I understand, but I never said I did not agree that flushing is worthless, because it IS the proper practice to caring for your transmission. I guess re-reading my initial post it may have seemed that I was against flushes, but my intention was totally different. I was simply giving my input and opinion based off what I read throughout the topic (scanned).

I agree with your points and explanations as well as respect your background. You know and understand what most people never will. Like I said, I was simply addressing those folks that do not want to flush due to various reasons.

A flush by far is the best solution to replacing your fluids. By doing drain/fills, the amount of "new" fluid introduced is exponentially decreased and will NEVER be 100%, even if you do over 3,000 changes, for example. It just will NOT happen.

I never meant to get on your bad side, or anybody else's. Just offering my .02 here and there.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like 2 individuals came to an understanding. Aint it great. I think I'll go have a drink now.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok so i did a drain and fill 0n 5-9-09 with 44,000 1QT atf-ws was $7.78
I just did my 2nd drain and fill on 10-21-09 at 55,000 1 QT atf-ws is $11.58
anyone know where to get a deal on atf-ws?
Old 10-22-2009, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

today i called around and i could of drove 9 more miles to another dealer and got it for $7.78 a QT. I won be going back to carlson toyota in coon rapids
Old 10-23-2009, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I did my first drain/fill, they charged me like $3.44/qt for the WS... Not kidding. Second time, it was more like $8 something. I think they messed up the first time!
Old 10-23-2009, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Invertalon
When I did my first drain/fill, they charged me like $3.44/qt for the WS... Not kidding.
CLEVELAND ROCKS! (as POTUSA said.) They don't make mistakes like that here in Cali, everything seems to cost double here, not half.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

theres a new listing on ebay 12 qt $72.00
Old 10-24-2009, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It costs our shop around $9 bucks a qt for Toyota WS. Hay mnscionxb.... how many qts did you have to add after you did the drain part of the drain & fill? Just wondering.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

3 Qt's brang it a little over the 2nd cooled line. but some said 3.5 some said 4 i need to get it hot and recheck it .
Old 10-28-2009, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member

im curious and have a question about these transmission flushes. if there is a servicable filter is that changed while doing this?
Old 10-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Hix
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am sure there is. One thing I found out though is that it is cheaper to buy a new transmission and new oil than it is to get my transmission flushed. So I guess at 50-60k miles I will just buy a new trans instead of worrying about a flush.

Quick Reply: Flush transmission