Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Good Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 11:53 AM

Default Good Deal?

I am trying to figure out if the xB I've been looking at is a good deal or not. Hopefully someone here can help me based on what they know about the car.

It is an 08 xB Manual with 33,026 on the clock. It is a one-owner vehicle (1 year and 10 months). They traded it in to the dealer because they didn't need the room and were sick of driving stick. The car, overall, is clean. It has a few rock chip marks on the body - which is to be expected. I ran the car for a bit and couldn't find anything leaking. My brother looked over it and it doesn't show signs of being in an accident (he works in a body shop).

The dealer had the car at $12,500 ... and offered to me for $11,999. Good or not?
Old 09-24-2009, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i think its a good price.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

very good price. I knew sum1 who bought an 05 tc with 33k in early 07 for like 13k. good price man
Old 09-24-2009, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

good deal if certified especially
Old 09-24-2009, 02:30 PM

It is not certified as I am buying this from a Nissan dealer. The Toyota dealer two doors down has a few in the $14K-$15K range, same year and more miles - but they are certified
Old 09-24-2009, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

just make sure to get a car fox, uh i mean car fax.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:12 PM

Already did ... and it is clean as can be. Regular service. One owner. No accidents.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

do it
Old 09-24-2009, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ Agreed!
Old 09-24-2009, 05:06 PM

I felt that way when I first saw it ... but not knowing enough about the xB made me go out and do my research ...
Old 09-25-2009, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FYI, don't mean to rain on your parade BUT a few weeks back a Toyota dealership had one of the purple xB's (forgot the color name, sorry) with 19k on the odom for $12,999. I went down and they sold it in 1 day of being on autotrader...So I'm assuming you can find one that's 08 with less than 20k for about as much. I would negotiate the price a little lower OR if you are doing a trade-in, maybe negotiate more for it. If you come out with your fists up and swing your butt off, they can and will have to lower the car @ about 11 flat due to the high mileage.

but this is only my $0.02, Good luck!!!!
Old 09-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

chances are that one was priced to sell so sum1 would take it quickly, u can NOT find one with that many miles for that cheap always. KBB.com retails a used 08 with 34k for $15k

there is almost literally no chance in hell to be able to find one the way u did century for that cheap, whoever bought that one got extremely lucky.

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Pric...22%7C0%7C0%7C#
Old 09-25-2009, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I bought my 08 brand new from the dealer for $14,700 in Feb of this year. After looking up the KBB, looks like I got a hell of a deal.

I would say if its the car you want then go ahead and buy it, chances are by the time have looked around for a better deal this one will be gone.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

CERTIFIED USED = GAURANTEED THAT IT IS NOT NEW!! Don't make me laugh. Certified means NOTHING! It means they cleaned it, checked it over with ther eyes closed, then added a useless 100k warranty that you can not turn down and save money. It also can only be serviced at the dealer. That is how they are "holding on to" customers. Not because they are good, but because they have their hooks deep in you. CERTIFIED means squat!!!!!

If it is still there and you are looking to buy one....I would jump on it before it's gone.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RC-PILOT
CERTIFIED USED = GAURANTEED THAT IT IS NOT NEW!! Don't make me laugh. Certified means NOTHING! It means they cleaned it, checked it over with ther eyes closed, then added a useless 100k warranty that you can not turn down and save money. It also can only be serviced at the dealer. That is how they are "holding on to" customers. Not because they are good, but because they have their hooks deep in you. CERTIFIED means squat!!!!!

If it is still there and you are looking to buy one....I would jump on it before it's gone.

Hey RC, you work for a dealership or something right?
Old 09-26-2009, 01:25 PM

First off, thank you everyone for all of the help!

@Century - I looked but could not find anything cheaper. The Toyota dealer two doors down has a few of them; same year with more mileage for more money. I looked at KBB and Edmunds on this one and I found that private party has it at ~$13K, dealer trade-in has it at $11,600 and retail is about $13,500 (give or take). They originally listed it at $12,500 (which I thought was great) and because I know the sales guy (my entire family has been buying cars from him for about 8 years), he went to bat for me right away and got it to $11,999. I drove it twice and hammered him for a little more. They came down to $11,750 as their final price because they are into it for $11,650 (he showed me the trade in docs on the side).

@Hannibal - Having been around the auto retail industry for the last few years as their IT guy, I have seen how quickly things can move when they are priced right. I also know what can and cannot be done. I put a deposit down on the car after my second test drive to make sure that it wasn't going anywhere.

@RC-PILOT - I agree. Most of the dealers I work for are Chrysler and I see what happens with their CERT program - which isn't much to say the least. It's a $2K add-on that doesn't do much at all. I prefer a third-party (aftermarket) warranty which I can get for $100 over dealer cost ...

UPDATE: I spoke with the sales guy yesterday and they are financing me @ 4.99% for 60 months - it brings the payment under $225 ... probably under $200 depending on exactly what I am financing. Overall, I think this car is a great deal and can't wait to get her home!

I did notice one thing on the last test drive that I pointed out to the sales guy. Whenever the car is sitting still and I push in the clutch, I heard a squeak like the fork/cable needs to be adjusted/greased. The sales guy told me he was going to have the shop take a look at it - but I was wondering if I should look into this a little more before signing my life away. Any ideas?
Old 09-26-2009, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xtylerx
Hey RC, you work for a dealership or something right?
No. I work for an independant shop. We don't sell them, we repair them. Our best customers are the ones that the dealers have screwed for the last time. I just know a lot about the business, and "Certified Used" is just that... they are 100% sure it is not new. Example... Take an XB for instance... on a Toyota/Scion lot will be a MINIMUM of $2000 more and have the word "CERTIFIED USED" on it. Find that exact same car on the Nissan or Chevy or Dodge lot and it will be $2000 less and will NOT say certified, because it is not their product. They want you to buy their used product, not someone elses produce. They will replace the tires with El-Cheap-O tires if they have to, then add a crappy warranty that has to be serviced there and you pay all that for nothing. Just the way it is. Go ask a dealer about their certified used car and see if they will take the warranty off of it. NO.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got my 08 BCM, Auto, 27,000 on the clock with the spiffy stereo for 11,000. its clean. the carfax is clean. and its been great.

also,the Toyota dealer (that I didnt buy it from) has been pretty cool with calming all my fears about owning such a modern car. and has been looking at and explaining ever little thing that I can bring into them. I'm glad i bought it!
Old 09-30-2009, 10:46 AM

Thanks for all of the help! I bought the car the other night! Photos coming soon!
Old 09-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

nicely done bro if I didn't have my tc and I saw an xb for that price I woulda jumped all over it congrats

Quick Reply: Good Deal?