Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Got in an accident :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Got in an accident :(

Not my fault though... Got hit at a red light by a car full of teenagers. He claimed he was putting a cd in and took eyes off the road. Prob hit me at 5mph or so, luckily no body damage. Have some paint scuffs where his liesence plate was but nothing more. I should be able to clean the paint up though hopefully, no real scratches just marring. Happened on the day I put my new rims on too, sucks lol. But thankfully nobody was hurt. Will post some pics later this weekend or Monday of the damage. Btw, I did get all his info just in case I would find something.

Drive safe out there and watch out for the morons!
Old 03-21-2009, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

dangg that sucks. No matter how small it is, still makes you cringe to think about your car taking damage or even being touched...hopefully it is nothing big and post pics of your wheels!
Old 03-21-2009, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn stupid teenager!...wait, you're only 20 years old...already feeling all high and mighty are we? i'm going to laugh about this over a beer that i legally purchased myself...LOL
Old 03-21-2009, 07:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it wasn't your fault, then I would let his insurance company know. Many insurance companies won't accept or honor claims if you don't report the accident or file a police report within 72 hours of the accident.

Looks good though, just saw them on the 17" wheels thread.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:22 AM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Many insurance companies won't accept or honor claims if you don't report the accident or file a police report within 72 hours of the accident.
This is false CIONIDE, I've set up claims with the other carrier that have gone months (some almost a year) without being reported while at work when our insured uses his own policy. Usually the cutoff is about a year, but its really a gray area in the insurance business.

Technically if there was coverage at the time of accident they still have to set up a claim. BUT it's always best to report the accident as soon as possible.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Id try and clean it that same day, if they didnt come out, his insurance is getting called. Even if its a small scuff, its your car, you pay for it, and it was fine before he hit it.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I dunno what I will do. Tiny bit of damage and don't know if it is worth all the hassle honestly. Slight dimples in the back where hit that you can only can see in the right light/angle. I couldn't even get it to show in pictures really...
Old 03-21-2009, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Many insurance companies won't accept or honor claims if you don't report the accident or file a police report within 72 hours of the accident.
This is false CIONIDE, I've set up claims with the other carrier that have gone months (some almost a year) without being reported while at work when our insured uses his own policy. Usually the cutoff is about a year, but its really a gray area in the insurance business.

Technically if there was coverage at the time of accident they still have to set up a claim. BUT it's always best to report the accident as soon as possible.
It's not necessarily false, it's just not always true. I guess I should have said "some" insurance companies, instead of "many". My brother was rear-ended several years ago, before leaving for a 6 week vacation in Europe. When he returned and filed a claim, the insurance company of the other guy refused to pay and said that anybody else could have hit his car while parked at the airport during that time. My brother's own insurance company ended up paying for the repairs.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup, teenagers did it. Wish I could say the same, I hit a parked car at a hospital.

Rubbed some paint off my bumper, other guy had some white lines that were easily removed with a finger, mines are below the paint to the black plastic.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That sucks man... I would almost of rather had done the damage myself than somebody else, lol.

I guess my only regret about this whole thing is not awaiting the police to show up to at least write him a ticket... But when I did call they said it would be some time due to a shift change... wtf. So fifteen minutes later after all the info exchanged and stuff they still not there, so I just called them up and told them not to bother. But oh well. It's over and done!
Old 03-23-2009, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just look at it as a great excuse to get a body kit.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey,

Was thinking about calling the dealership tomorrow to see what I can do to get this repaired... Now, what could they do to fix this "imprint" on my rear bumper, when its not really dented enough to really pop it out or anything? Hard to explain, but its like a faint crease that you can see when light hits it but from the side, looks fine. What would they do? Replace the whole bumper or what?

Old 03-23-2009, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Likely replace it. Wonder if a heat gun would fix it?
Old 03-23-2009, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't know sadly, like I said, very hard to see unless under the right light. Might call at paintless dent repair place to see if they could even do anything t hat small. I don't want it repainted or anything like that, not worth the risk.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Went to paintless dent repair place but they can do nothing except sand and repaint. Called dealer and same thing since it's plastic. Even if they order new bumper it has to be repainted and to me, I really don't think I want to risk the paint matching, or it looking better than it even looks now.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:10 PM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

"...and don't know if it is worth all the hassle..."

You'll know that it would have been worth it when you try to sell it or trade it in.

Make the kid's insurance pay for whatever it takes to "make you whole," even if it takes a whole new paint job.

You're the injured party.

Learn easily, rather than the hard way.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is a picture of the damage... The only picture I got that shows anything.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you might have damage under the bumper id take it in
Old 03-24-2009, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Id wouldnt bother, no one else will notice that. Now if you have neck pain, than yeah, go for it and a 5 axis kit for pain and suffering.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think I may go get the estimate, have the dude pay up, and then decide what to do. Legally, I don't have to use the money to repair. I am being rewarded for what damage he caused and I am free to do whatever I want with the money. If in the future I want it repaired, I will have it done, if not, then so be it.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Quick Reply: Got in an accident :(