Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Got the new pistons from oil consumption recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
SL Member

Default Got the new pistons from oil consumption recall

I was called last week saying that I was next on the list so I took my car in. They said it would take about 3 days to get everything done. Once the engine was out on the first day they called to ask if I wanted the water pump replaced cause it looked wet but not quite dripping yet. I said no cause I work in the same building as some Ferrari techs that I use to work on it for maintenance. Then they asked about the clutch and I told them yes because I knew that was needing to be replaced and they were only charging 475 with tax since engine was already out. I got the car back 2 days after initially dropping off and it ran nice and smooth. Fast forward 5 days to today and my car starts over heating like crazy. I opened the hood and the coolant level is very low. While looking at that, I notice the valve cover plastic shield has the paint practically gone off the "VVTI" section when it was not like that before. Then I notice a sticker that didn't look right on the alternator. A few things look off and I'm starting to wonder if they just swapped my engine with another. Anyway we are going to get it on the lift later tonight and see what is going on with the coolant and check the numbers on the block to see if they match my vin. Something feels off though.

Last edited by mobilejay; 09-21-2016 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
SL Member

Okay all seems good. The plastic piece over the valve cover may have been replaced with someone else's but everything else seems to be okay, vins match up things just look a little weird. Anyway the coolant level was very low and turns out it must have been an air pocket probably because they didn't bleed the system.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mobilejay
Okay all seems good. The plastic piece over the valve cover may have been replaced with someone else's but everything else seems to be okay, vins match up things just look a little weird. Anyway the coolant level was very low and turns out it must have been an air pocket probably because they didn't bleed the system.
I'm surprised that they didn't do everything just right, I got mine done last year and I would have never known that they touched it except for a little black silicone in the corners of the valve cover gasket. Good thing though is no more oil consumption.