Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

have my Xb for 1 week, my thoughts so far....

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 10:57 PM

Default have my Xb for 1 week, my thoughts so far....

I got my Xb last Saturday. I got an '08 RS 5.0 (the Gold one) I love teh look & the feel, the styling and fun factor, I have no regrets. Here are some items I wish that could be improved and if anyone knows how, let me know.

1) Mini, flimsy, drivers arm rest & no passenger arm rest
2) black plastic interior scrathes easily, how to fix?
3)no clock in the radio ( I have the pioneer premium one). It also doesn't display the text from radio stations, it does for CD's, but not radio stations. My wife's factory radio in her Pacifica does that.
4)No compass in the digital display
5) speaking of the digital display, you can only view the temp, or the time and other items separately. Would have been easy & simple for them to have an intermittent setting where it switches to the next display every 5 seconds or something. My $99 excercise bike has that option. I hate not being able to see the temp & time instead of one or the other.
6) no locking glove box
7) no pockets behind the driver or from passengers seats
poor interior illumination (IE: door locks and other items are not illuminated at night). I find my self groping in the dark often.
9) Do all front seats not have much of a spring when you use recline, it doesn't "spring" back up hardly when you want to sit back up, I have to reach around and "help" the seat back up with my hand. I am used to pulling the lever and the chair damn near ejects you. LOL
10) wimpy horn LOL

ok, I really do love the Xb, I traded in a PT Cruiser. ABove is my "wish they would have" thoughts as most items are simple and inexpensive but what I consider oversights. Anyone have ideas for improvements that can fix these? Does it do any of the above and I haven't figured it out?

thanks much.

FM
Old 11-14-2008, 11:48 PM

i can see what your talking about, but did you drive the og xb before? I traded mine in last night for a new 09 xb and its sooooooo much better I didnt notice those items as issues more of an upgrade!
Old 11-15-2008, 12:37 AM

I never drove the 1st gen
Old 11-15-2008, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Only thing I wish for is a dedicated clock.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: have my Xb for 1 week, my thoughts so far....

Originally Posted by fmcowboy
I got my Xb last Saturday. I got an '08 RS 5.0 (the Gold one) I love teh look & the feel, the styling and fun factor, I have no regrets. Here are some items I wish that could be improved and if anyone knows how, let me know.

1) Mini, flimsy, drivers arm rest & no passenger arm rest
2) black plastic interior scrathes easily, how to fix?
3)no clock in the radio ( I have the pioneer premium one). It also doesn't display the text from radio stations, it does for CD's, but not radio stations. My wife's factory radio in her Pacifica does that.
4)No compass in the digital display
5) speaking of the digital display, you can only view the temp, or the time and other items separately. Would have been easy & simple for them to have an intermittent setting where it switches to the next display every 5 seconds or something. My $99 excercise bike has that option. I hate not being able to see the temp & time instead of one or the other.
6) no locking glove box
7) no pockets behind the driver or from passengers seats
poor interior illumination (IE: door locks and other items are not illuminated at night). I find my self groping in the dark often.
9) Do all front seats not have much of a spring when you use recline, it doesn't "spring" back up hardly when you want to sit back up, I have to reach around and "help" the seat back up with my hand. I am used to pulling the lever and the chair damn near ejects you. LOL
10) wimpy horn LOL

ok, I really do love the Xb, I traded in a PT Cruiser. ABove is my "wish they would have" thoughts as most items are simple and inexpensive but what I consider oversights. Anyone have ideas for improvements that can fix these? Does it do any of the above and I haven't figured it out?

thanks much.

FM
so do you wish you had your PT Cruiser back now that you have a long list of BAD things???
from the bottom.
10) change out your horns.. I did mine...
9) Dont notice the reverse recline springs.. I never move my seat back.. sorry
you've only had it a week, in a month, you'll be a pro at feeling for them in the dark.
ps.. I 'back lit my window sitches using plcc LEDS..
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...indow+switches
7).. you're right.. No pockets.. but I dont see that as a problem like you do.. sorry
6) right agian.... no lock on the g box.. dammmn ya got me there..
5) Some have 'added' a button elswhere & wired it to the button on the display to cycle thru the displays without reaching all the way up to the display..
You'll have to 'search for the DIY on it..
4) Right agian.. No compass... but that's easily fixed with an 'add on' compass or GPS
3) Dont know about the Scion Pioneer Premium unit.. My stock deck displays the time if I want it too.. Are you certian, you cannot get it to display the time??
2) LOL mine's allscratched up too.... Just dont enter your car in any cars shows that deduct points off for interier plastic scratches...
I think Billy Mays does a commercial about scratch fixes....
& Finally,
1) Not a problem for me.. I dont use the drivers center armrest.. I use the top of the center storage box, & I dont care about my passangers comfort..
But I can see how this can be a problem for others...
I did see a thread recently that a guy built his own nice biggass armrest & offered to build more & sell them..
You'll have to search for that thread too..

All in all........ I am glad that your list didnt go to 20, there fm cowboy...
I'd have to recommend that you trade it back if you dont like it that much...
I'm happy with mine now that I've had it over a year. I am very used to it & dont have not even one complaint... oh yeah sorry. I do have one.....
My "+" paint is wearing off my sterring wheel controls... DAMMMMMMMnnnnnnnnnn
I use the hell out of those buttons.....
I put an aftermarket Pionees Premier HU in & Now I can controll dammnn near every function with the steering wheel controls. even the sub's output & freq...
I love it... so much the paint is wearing off!!!
good luck fixing things on your list.......

jh[/url]
Old 11-15-2008, 03:50 AM

I agree with your list. I just got mine last night and love it so far. There is a dedicated clock at the top left corner of the guage pannel. Already looking to find good aftermarket parts to make it my own tho.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That gold XB is sweet, I looked at 2 different ones very seriously-didn't get the deal I wanted though.

I see all of what you're saying and coming from an american marketed and made car like a PT you will see that there are some creature comforts missing....what time will show you is you have a much better car that will last, handle and hold value like crazy over that one but it will take you accepting it for what it is.

I had a VW cabrio at the same time my GF had a Sebring convertible. It was european engineering (performance ability) vs american engineering (hey, this feels pretty much like and arm chair with wheels) and they were worlds apart. The Sebring was great for smooth, highway trips (although the seats were never comfortable) but in town and widning roads the Cabrio would stop, turn, accelerate, park but it road a little stiff and the brakes would plain stop so quick that the new driver scared themselves.

That doesn't mean the scion is perfect.

The scratches, yeah, wish that was better.
The horn-like that other poster said-change them out
The seat-one of two things, either your butt is still wedged against the bottom of the back and it's binding when you try to get it up or it might loosen up with time (remember toyotas are built to last, not work great now and fall apart later=like good shoes versus payless brand shoes)
You have big windows so look for the sun in the sky and figure what direction is what (and if you get lost that easy don't drive at night when there is no sun)
They have lighted door lock things on ebay-not as good quality as the scions non lit ones though and you will quickly figure out where things are.
I have heard about that arm rest and I was not impressed with it either-would have removed it if I ended up buying the 2nd gen I was driving.
The non-locking glove box=never got that either.

Don't be offended by any of the above adeas-just throwing ideas out. The XB is a great car
Old 11-15-2008, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by flixdachef
There is a dedicated clock at the top left corner of the guage pannel.
That is the computer display....instant and avg. mpg, miles left, running time, and the clock.....it is not dedicated to the clock.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jimmbomb
3) Dont know about the Scion Pioneer Premium unit.. My stock deck displays the time if I want it too.. Are you certian, you cannot get it to display the time??
How do you do this?
Old 11-15-2008, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by curtisc
How do you do this?
hhhhhhmmmmm I do not have the manual for it, so's I cannot say.. BUT i will do some searching for you....... jh
Old 11-15-2008, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How do you do this?
hhhhhhmmmmm I do not have the manual for it, so's I cannot say.. BUT i will do some searching for you....... jh
I have the manual for the stock unit, and it says nothing about setting the time or how to display it. So if yours does it...it would be great to show everyone how to do it.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How do you do this?
I have the manual for the stock unit, and it says nothing about setting the time or how to display it. So if yours does it...it would be great to show everyone how to do it.
YOu know, curtisc......... you are right!! I believe,,,,,,
I honestly thought that mine DID display the time...
BUT I am probally & most likely wrong...
I dont have the manual, & did change it out after only a few months.......
bUT I can see why it DOESNT display the time, as there's the clock in the guages panel on the left..... So why would there be a need for 2 clocks..
Sorry for my mis-information......
My bad!!!!!
You guys are right... The stero's Dont display the time.....!! ??!!!!
Old 11-15-2008, 12:37 PM

11) Oh, I missed one. The plastic sun visors. That's ok, but they don't extend out. That also would have been so simple to just "slide" on the bar they already are mounted on.

Anyway, it's too early for me to tell in the long run if I like this better than the PT. As of now HELL YEAH. I love my Xb. I was not complaining about stuff, just some obvious ovesights that weren't too expensive to add during manufacture.

All in all, pretty kick butt vehicle, with an awesome set of safety features, that turns heads as you drive by. I am loving the color & styling of the RS 5.0, it caught my eye at the dealership when I was driving by one day and I hadn't been looking to buy at that point, and the rest is history. LOL

FM
Old 11-15-2008, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just rented a camry for 2 days and bought an 09 xb 3 weeks ago.

I see how much the traction control and skid control lets me race through the back roads of rural virginia, plus the ROOM.

Why isnt this standard on the camry and why do we have a vacuum hose on our intake filter box and they have a ram intake?
Old 11-16-2008, 06:17 PM

Oh, just discovered #12 and this is the only one that really irritates me.

12) "Satellite Ready", means nothing as they want you to spend $499 to actually use the premium pioneer stereo with XM or Sirius. I thought I was getting a radio like my wife's Chrysler that you can just subscribe and you are ready to go. I'll get a portable unit for $49-100 before I spend $500 bucks. Very deceiving as the manual even shows controlling the satellite radio on your stereo system, but in order to do that you need to spend $500 for an upgrade.

FM
Old 11-17-2008, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sweet you have a double digit instead of a triple digit #. i have mines for roughly 6mths and still luvin it. the more you drive it you'll like more and when you have people in the back that complimenting how roomy it is you'll like it even more. it's just an awesome car.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

one major difference between pt and xb is power........i drove an 08 pt.... wasnt impressed whatsever.....
Old 11-17-2008, 02:01 AM
SL Member

ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY BOX!!!
Old 11-17-2008, 02:26 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by bugtoxb
one major difference between pt and xb is power........i drove an 08 pt.... wasnt impressed whatsever.....
Not to mention resale value which Chrysler has zero. I had a friend who had one that was a few years old and it was the biggest POS I've ever been in. The entire car was a rattle trap beyond any car I've ever been in.

xb2 > pt cruiser by a Looooooong shot
Old 11-17-2008, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Should of bought a Lexus!

Quick Reply: have my Xb for 1 week, my thoughts so far....