Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]
View Poll Results: Have you had windshield damage yet?
yes, My windshield is already broken, cracked etc
40.57%
yes, My windshield has broken more then once
6.60%
no, I am still looking through the windshield that the car came with
52.83%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Have you had windshield damage yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 03:02 PM
SL Member

Default Have you had windshield damage yet?

I understand it's important to show Toyota that this is indeed a design flaw, and I would like to have a place to show what the numbers are.

Share your windshield stories here.

Thanks.

Also Share you experience with Toyota:
Contact Toyota

You have come to expect quality from our products and a rewarding ownership experience. Communicating with us is no different, which is why we provide a variety of ways to contact us and find the information you are looking for.

Customer Experience Center
If you would like to discuss your experience or share your comments, please call us. Toyota's Customer Experience Center representatives are happy to assist you.

Phone: 800-331-4331
Mon - Fri, 5:00 am - 6:00 pm PT
Sat, 7:00 am - 4:00 pm PT
Fax: 310-468-7814

Or send correspondence to:
Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
19001 South Western Ave.
Dept. WC11
Torrance, CA 90501
Old 11-03-2008, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my windshield is doing just fine
Old 11-03-2008, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a small chip in mine, but no cracking... A small rock hit it on the freeway maybe 6 months ago, but it hasnt "spidered" yet...

:fingers crossed:
Old 11-03-2008, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No stories (OEM glass in my box), but I will tell you folks what I have been saying for years on the Gen 1 boards:

If you truly believe this is a design flaw and not the natural consequence of a vertical sheet of cheap glass, someone pony up the cash to pay for a glass expert to examine your windshield. 40 minutes will a microscope will settle the debate between "rock chip" and "stress crack," at least on that particular example. This is what forensics examiners do: they find someone who has the facts and ask that person's professional opinion, instead of going back and forth pointlessly.

Until someone does that, this is all he-said-she-said. You didn't see a rock, but the dealership found a spot where the pen hangs up. None of it is proof positive, nor is the fact that 40,000 other people on the internet have concluded it's a design issue. No court will ever rule in your favor.

If you do an internet search for "[name of any vehicle on earth], windshield cracks" you will come up with entire ORGANIZATIONS of people who believe the manufacturer is trying to screw them...so until someone has the facts, let's please all put away our "Jump to Conclusions" mats.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My windshield is just fine. It gets hit by rocks all the time. I work near the quarries in Illinois and follow behind quarry trucks all the time and have no chips for 17,000 miles so far.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:42 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZOMGXB
No stories (OEM glass in my box), but I will tell you folks what I have been saying for years on the Gen 1 boards:

If you truly believe this is a design flaw and not the natural consequence of a vertical sheet of cheap glass, someone pony up the cash to pay for a glass expert to examine your windshield. 40 minutes will a microscope will settle the debate between "rock chip" and "stress crack," at least on that particular example. This is what forensics examiners do: they find someone who has the facts and ask that person's professional opinion, instead of going back and forth pointlessly.

Until someone does that, this is all he-said-she-said. You didn't see a rock, but the dealership found a spot where the pen hangs up. None of it is proof positive, nor is the fact that 40,000 other people on the internet have concluded it's a design issue. No court will ever rule in your favor.

If you do an internet search for "[name of any vehicle on earth], windshield cracks" you will come up with entire ORGANIZATIONS of people who believe the manufacturer is trying to screw them...so until someone has the facts, let's please all put away our "Jump to Conclusions" mats.

My point is that out of all the toyota's that i have delt with ( 84 trecel, 97 corolla, 98 camry, 2005 matrix, 2006 rav4, 96 tacoma, 2003 camry, 2005 tacoma, 2008 xb) this car by far is the worst
this is simply a survay of the board on what problems they hav had.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine was shattered by a rock from back of dum truck going in opposite direction though Not a Design flaw, just so Ya know!
Old 11-04-2008, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No problems here, xa or xb. The xa you could see the glass was flexed near the upper ends. Seems both cars are magnets for rocks for the grill, hood and windshield. No problems.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:15 AM
ckd
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a small chip but I saw the car in front of me kick up the rock from construction on the roads by me. Not really the windshields fautl
Old 11-04-2008, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cracked from the A-pillar on the passenger side after 17K miles
Old 11-04-2008, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seems both cars are magnets for rocks for the grill, hood
This definitely true. Every one make sure you put the clear bra on your car. Otherwise the weak paint will look like it has been sand blasted.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:42 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Still on the OEM glass, BUT I have two rock chips & the last one did some good damage. Its spread half way through the windshield...
Old 11-04-2008, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Default Re: Have you had windshield damage yet?

Originally Posted by kc2hje
I understand it's important to show Toyota that this is indeed a design flaw, and I would like to have a place to show what the numbers are.

Share your windshield stories here.

Thanks.

Also Share you experience with Toyota:
Contact Toyota

You have come to expect quality from our products and a rewarding ownership experience. Communicating with us is no different, which is why we provide a variety of ways to contact us and find the information you are looking for.

Customer Experience Center
If you would like to discuss your experience or share your comments, please call us. Toyota's Customer Experience Center representatives are happy to assist you.

Phone: 800-331-4331
Mon - Fri, 5:00 am - 6:00 pm PT
Sat, 7:00 am - 4:00 pm PT
Fax: 310-468-7814

Or send correspondence to:
Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
19001 South Western Ave.
Dept. WC11
Torrance, CA 90501
Hours and address are correct but you dont contact Toyota. Toyota and Scion have separate numbers. And they already know that some people are having problems with cracked windshields. If you think yours is someone unique to the cracking, then think twice before you call to complain about the semi that kicked up a rock.

Oh and i'm still on my OEM glass with no chips yet.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I got a rock chip 3 days after i got the xB2. I had it filled / fixed and no problem since.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a small chip/crack on my wind shield because out of nowhere some rock hit the windshield, and I was going about 60 MPH. I don't think it's a design flaw, I think either the glass is just weak, or it's simple physics. (Rock @ 60 MPH = probably going to crack or chip something if it hits it)
Old 11-04-2008, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I bought my xb, they tried to sell me a lot of crap at the dealer. One item was a windshield protector coating that was like rainx, plus it prevents any cracks or chips. I declined because it was windshield only, not the rest of the windows.

Equally confusion they offered dent removal service, however it only applied to the side panels.

I used the crack repair kit from an auto store on my mercedes, it did a great job for only a few bucks.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when mine happened it was on a freeway from a vehicle going the other way, rocks coming from in front of you in ur lane are traveling the same speed so to speak. the problem is not a design flaw it is the pure fact that our windshields arent bullet proof and the car happens to have the wrong angle of a windshield, thats what you should have glass coverage for in your insurance its not that expensive....
Old 11-10-2008, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member

I have an inverted 'v' crack at bottom of windshield between wipers about 2 inches tall. It is not a design flaw. It came from a large PVC pipe fitting that came off the back of a pick-up truck in front of me on the interestate.

No spidering - incident happened about 2 months ago.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My super square E36 M3 would get way more chips and cracks then my XB does, that was way lower and a bit sleeker, but things love to hit that window!
Old 11-10-2008, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine cracke from the top down to the middle drivers side...might have been caused by sub roof flex but either way it cracked. and i had the windsheild tinted all nice

Quick Reply: Have you had windshield damage yet?