Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

How Good is the Factory Anti-Theft?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How Good is the Factory Anti-Theft?

Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I was wondering if anyone has information on the limitations of the 2009 Scion xB's factory anti-theft. I currently do not have theft insurance on my 09,
however, I'm using an Auto-Lock on my car (like "the club" but goes on the brakes - prevents you from shifting out of park).

My back three windows are very tinted and my front two are at 5% making it difficult for anyone to peer inside at night. I don't have rims but am planning on installing a new Head Unit very soon.
My car did get broken into - once - and it was in my current condominium's parking lot (but this was my previous 02 Camry).

So here's my question: how good is the factory anti-theft? Is it reliable? Is it still possible for someone to break in by hooking the inside of the door? Any other opinions welcome.

Thanks,

DJ

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-21-2020 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 01-05-2009, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Breaking in is no problem, as long as they don't open the doors (assuming the installer hooked up the door switches) it won't go off. But its pretty hard to steal the entire car so thats a plus.

Doesn't your car loan insist you have insurance? Mine has that clause
Old 01-05-2009, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kileil
Breaking in is no problem, as long as they don't open the doors (assuming the installer hooked up the door switches) it won't go off. But its pretty hard to steal the entire car so thats a plus.
I know that the windows are easily shattered, but will hooking inside the door allow someone to get in? Hot wiring underneath the steering wheel?

Originally Posted by kileil
Doesn't your car loan insist you have insurance? Mine has that clause
I actually bought my car. No payments.

DJ
Old 01-05-2009, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't imagine owning a new car and not having comprehensive insurance coverage.

If a windshield breaks or your xB gets broken into, or worse... stolen, you will be covering it all out of pocket.

If you can afford to buy your car outright, why won't you insure that investment for a few more dollars?
I consider the insurance safer coverage than an alarm.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know that the windows are easily shattered, but will hooking inside the door allow someone to get in? Hot wiring underneath the steering wheel?

I actually bought my car. No payments.

DJ
Not sure what you mean by hooking (are you talking about my mom's job?!? ) so i'm gonna guess. If you mean Slim Jim, no its not that easy on newer cars since they usually encase the lock rods in a sleeve to prevent that.
But if you're talking bent coat hanger through a gap in a pry'ed down window, yeah its definitely possible. Either of those methods is for opening the door though, and that "should" trigger the alarm once the door pins (dome light sense) trips.

Hot wiring is enough of a pain that most tow. I'm not an xB pro but I think 2G has transponder, which makes it a pain usually.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-21-2020 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 01-05-2009, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, as in my cases.... anti theft wouldnt have mattered.... if they really want it they are going to get it.... my car was taken from the front of my house repo style
Old 01-05-2009, 08:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jonmach12
Well, as in my cases.... anti theft wouldnt have mattered.... if they really want it they are going to get it.... my car was taken from the front of my house repo style

Tow-truck driving car jackers? Holy ____ that sucks

My friends, one who drove a Honda Prelude, the other a Civic, both told me about how many times their cars got broken into / stripped. My friend who drove the Civic told me how he should have left a sign saying "There's nothing in this car. Please don't break the window."

How does using a clothes hanger work? Any way to protect my car against that?

DJ

PS: Just a bit off-topic, but maybe someone can answer this: why are Hondas so popular to break into?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From the factory, the xB has no anti-theft functions.
There is no factory immobilizer, no key transponder, no alarm.
If someone breaks the glass and opens your door, nothing will sound. If they want to hotwire it, all they need is the correct wires.

If you want anti-theft, you could either cough up the big bucks for the RS3200 from Toyota, or you could make the smart choice and go to a reputable mobile electronics shop and have a Viper/Clifford/Other DEI brand alarm installed for about the same price.

If you wisely decide to get an aftermarket alarm, make sure you tell them you want a shock sensor, glass break sensor if you have an audio system, tilt sensor if you have rims, and probably a hood pinswitch. Second siren wouldn't hurt either.
Keep that Box safe!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-21-2020 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 01-05-2009, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe the guy has a bad record and insurance is too expensive? I pay 367 for full coverage for 6 months on my 09 xB and that's 50k liability 100k medical and 20k for the car.

If I were to steal a car, I would tow it off site and deal with it at my garage. That's just me if I steal a car. Many times when it comes to fraud or theft, its a friend or family members,
so they know what you have and how they think is the best way to get it.
Other times its the situation. Why would you have 5% tint if nothing valuable was inside? Keep in mind windows are easy to break, way more than opening a door.

Anyway, like mentioned get the alarm with all 3 sensors, glass, motion and tilt and get some wheel locks too. The xB just comes with Key with panic. No alarm function to my disappointment.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-21-2020 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 01-05-2009, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

We just bought a brand new Box 3 days ago. we didn't get the upgraded alarm system on it at the dealership because my fiance argued we could get a better one after market.
I'm a little weary about just having the factory anti-theft on my new baby. I've been doing a little research on systems that are out there.

Any suggestions as to what to get, or more specifically What Brand?

Thanks!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-21-2020 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 01-05-2009, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

I have the Clifford G5 on my tC and I definitely feel its the best investment yet.

Came standard with glass break sensor, hood lift sensor, and password feature, requires that a password is entered after turning on vehicle and every time the door is opened, so if I was robbed at gunpoint in my car,
I would gladly give them the car, they would only drive for a block and the car shuts off alarm blaring full blast, lol, has happened to me by accident, pretty embarrassing

Also I have aftermarket wheels, and the shock sensor makes a noise anytime the car senses any movement, like if the garbage truck is in my street and rumbles past, it makes a warning noise

If you can take my wheels without setting off my alarm, then I would let you have them, lol

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-21-2020 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 01-05-2009, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How does using a clothes hanger work? Any way to protect my car against that?

DJ

PS: Just a bit off-topic, but maybe someone can answer this: why are Hondas so popular to break into?
If you use a stiff enough one, they just pry down the window 1/2" and use it to push the manual unlock (not the button, those usually only work when accessory is on).

To prevent this, we used to disconnect the manual lock rods and use actuator via remote only. That trick only works on cars that, when locked, won't unlock when you pull the door handle from inside though...

On Hondas: My thoughts on why they're so popular to break in are...
- They're common, stolen parts always have a fence.
- They're popular to mod, more people wanting the same mods means more likely to be jacked.
- The pre 2000ish ones could be started and driven away with just a philips to remove the tumbler, and a big flathead to start it by twisting the ignition switch. We used to drill out the philips heads to make this more difficult for thieves.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All of the DEI brands have the same alarms/functionality. I went with the Viper 3002. Very happy with it and much better security than the dealer installed option.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My 08 xB2 doesn't have any factory antitheft....is that an option?
Old 01-06-2009, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AndreyCo
My 08 xB2 doesn't have any factory antitheft....is that an option?
Yes.

http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=1541

IIRC, it listed for about $469 installed at the dealership. You can do much better aftermarket.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the Viper 5900. 1 mile 2-way is boss. They got the 5901 now... Its got a fancy screen and stuff... I want. :D
Old 01-06-2009, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by buickid
I got the Viper 5900. 1 mile 2-way is boss. They got the 5901 now... Its got a fancy screen and stuff... I want. :D
Yeah...but that transmitting power in your pocket is going to give you testicular cancer.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahaha, luckily it only transmits when you press a button.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got me on that one....unless it transmits a monitoring signal once in a while.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It actually doesnt transmit anything, it just turns the reciever on every 10 seconds to check if the car is broadcasting an alarm.

Quick Reply: How Good is the Factory Anti-Theft?