Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

how smart are cops?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 11:05 PM
SL Member

Default how smart are cops?

k so I got a refree ticket for intake blah blah lots of money later.... im ticket free (besides speeding ticket last week)

So I kind of had a OE TRD Intake sticker fall off the truck ( if you know what i mean)..

If i stick that on my tenzo R and put the TRD logo on it.. think it will pass? :-) I dont feel like spending 260$ on a intake..
Old 07-03-2009, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

will prob work

i cant belive you can get intake tickets
dam CA
Old 07-03-2009, 11:43 PM
SL Member

he pulled the modded emissions ticket and threw on a ref ticket =(
Old 07-04-2009, 12:32 AM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Default Re: how smart are cops?

Originally Posted by 08bspxb
I dont feel like spending 260$ on a intake..
The only legal intake for California is the TRD and its over $300. You should leave your vehicle stock or run CARB only parts on your vehicle to prevent future run ins like this. Oh and I wouldn't risk sticking that sticker on the tenzo intake and trying to get reffed.

Not only is it obvious that your intake is not CARB approved (open filter and you're missing the charcoal filter like in the oem air box), but you may get in serious trouble trying to pass off a non CARB part as legal.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:20 AM
SL Member

Default Re: how smart are cops?

Originally Posted by AAG
Originally Posted by 08bspxb
I dont feel like spending 260$ on a intake..
The only legal intake for California is the TRD and its over $300. You should leave your vehicle stock or run CARB only parts on your vehicle to prevent future run ins like this. Oh and I wouldn't risk sticking that sticker on the tenzo intake and trying to get reffed.

Not only is it obvious that your intake is not CARB approved (open filter and you're missing the charcoal filter like in the oem air box), but you may get in serious trouble trying to pass off a non CARB part as legal.
I have to agree here. If you get busted, the consequences will be worse than buying the $300 TRD.

-JB
Old 07-04-2009, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In cali you can have a AEM intake also i had one on my integra. I don't the cops will even think twice if they see the sticker but then you might get a cop who knows what is what because there are some cops that mod their cars for shows. Cops also have kids so they know more then you think. I would put the sticker on whats the worst that can happen you have to pay another 10 bucks for a fix it ticket.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why cant you just put the OEM intake box back on, bring it to get it signed off, go home and reinstall the intake...

i did that and it worked fine.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoleLaced
why cant you just put the OEM intake box back on, bring it to get it signed off, go home and reinstall the intake...

i did that and it worked fine.
I have done this tons of times when i worked in Cali when i had my other cars.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:50 AM
SL Member

LOL not going to a ref with it just going tosee if it will pass a cop inspection, if he questions it then ill get a ref ticket.. and its like 264 for TRD intake =) friend gets it for dealer cost he works in parts lol..

someone recently backed up in to the front of my car and i told the bodyshop (which already cut down on labor) to print me out the part list of what they need.. orderd the parts at dealer cost threw friend and saved me 300$ of insurance money =)
Old 07-04-2009, 01:10 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

How is a cop going to sign the ticket for you if you got a ref ticket, just wondering? I'm shocked he didn't get you for the exhaust and tinted tail lights also.

Good luck and hopefully you wont get hassled anymore after this (I hear Cali sucks when owning a modded import)
Old 07-04-2009, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very smart.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Shea_Mc
In cali you can have a AEM intake also i had one on my integra. I don't the cops will even think twice if they see the sticker but then you might get a cop who knows what is what because there are some cops that mod their cars for shows. Cops also have kids so they know more then you think. I would put the sticker on whats the worst that can happen you have to pay another 10 bucks for a fix it ticket.
Just b/c it was OK on your Integra doesn't mean the xB version is OK. They vary quite a bit sometimes depending on the vehicle. So the same intake may be approved on one vehicle and not another.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

move to another state
Old 07-04-2009, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
Originally Posted by Shea_Mc
Just b/c it was OK on your Integra doesn't mean the xB version is OK. They vary quite a bit sometimes depending on the vehicle. So the same intake may be approved on one vehicle and not another.
That is true but all AEM intakes are 50 state carb legal look at their site that is why so many people run them out there.

Got this right off their site.

Q: What is a C.A.R.B. E.O. number?
A: Most AEM intake systems either carry an exemption or have been submitted to the California Air Resources Board for an Executive Order (CARB EO) number, exempting them from the prohibitions of California Vehicle Code (CVC) 27156, which states that you cannot modify your car in the area of the emission control system. The C.A.R.B. E.O. number allows you to legally use the AEM intake system on your car.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:04 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

LOL Shea MC READ dude, it says MOST aem intakes and the xb2 will not be CARB exempt unless they switch to a trd cai intake box style with a charcoal filter.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:08 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
How is a cop going to sign the ticket for you if you got a ref ticket, just wondering? I'm shocked he didn't get you for the exhaust and tinted tail lights also.

Good luck and hopefully you wont get hassled anymore after this (I hear Cali sucks when owning a modded import)

nah the ref will sign it off.. but if i get a ref ticket i got to put my reso back on =(.. and i dont have tinted tail lights? lol.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by mnscionxb
move to another state
x2

cali is only for people with gas guzzling hummers and fat wallets.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep your stock intake/airbox, put in a k&n dropin filter. Then take that tube off the front of the air box, take the airbox out, and make the intake hole bigger...looks stock, and would keep you out of trouble.