Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-owners-lounge-1768/)
-   -   Intro and Pics of my new 2009 xB RS6.0 (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-owners-lounge-1768/intro-pics-my-new-2009-xb-rs6-0-a-171282/)

PDX_xB 09-13-2009 08:21 PM

Intro and Pics of my new 2009 xB RS6.0

5 Attachment(s)
I've been posting here for a couple weeks, and I guess it's high time in introduce myself, and my car, to the Scionlife community.

I purchased my absolutely red 2009 xB Release Series 6.0 on 8/23/09 - the last day my local dealers were participating in the cash for clunkers program. Our clunker was a 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan that we had purchased new over 13 years ago. We had bought a new Kia Sedona minivan back in March. We got a great deal on the new van, but they offered us basically nothing ($500) for our old van as a trade-in. So, we kept it and used it as a second car over the summer - and let visiting relatives drive it instead of getting a rental car while they were here. As luck would have it, cash for clunkers turned a vehicle that was worth $500 in trade into one that netted us $3600. That was too much to pass up.

I had been longing for a new xB ever since we saw them at the Portland Auto Show back in Februrary (that was also where we decided to get the new Kia minivan). We were out of state traveling when the cash for clunkers program was announced. At the time, they said the program would run through early November. So, I figured I had plenty of time to find the vehicle I wanted. I started seriously looking for an RS6.0 and visiting local dealers to see what they had in stock on weekends in early August. The first weekend I looked, my closest dealer had two RS6.0s in stock - one manual and one automatic. So, I figured finding one wouldn't be hard. I was wrong. When I went back the next day, the auto was already gone. By the next weekend the manual as gone two.

The following Friday afternoon, my wife called me at work to let me know they announced they were shutting down the cash for clunkers program and this weekend would be the last to take advantage of the program. So, I spent several hours on Saturday and all of Sunday morning calling every dealer within 200 miles (multiple times) to see if anyone had an RS6.0 in stock with an automatic transmission.

The automatic transmission was a requirement. I have driven 5-speeds for the last 25 years, but this vehicle was to serve as both my daily communter, and a second family car for a family of five. My wife can't drive a stick. So, whatever I bought needed to have a manual transmission.

By 3:30 Sunday afternoon, I had given up all hope, accepted that it just wasn't meant to be, and was headed out the door to do some yard work. My wife stopped me and told me to give it one more try - to call all the local dealers one more time just to see if they had anything. As luck would have it, one dealer had an RS6.0 that had been previously spoken for, but looked like the deal might fall through. At 4:30 they called me back and said it was available and I could get the cash for clunkers rebate if I could get to their dealership with my title, proof of registration and proof of insurance by 6:00pm. I was there by 5:00.

So, I got my car, and I got to be on the local news that night. One of the local TV stations was filming a cash for clunkers story. They interviewed me, and one other last minute cash for clunkers participant for what ended up being the lead story on the nightly news cast. They even showed some shots of my new RS6.0 as it was being detailed and prepped for delivery.

If not for cash for clunkers, and my wife's encouragement, I would not have my beautiful new, red 2009 RS6.0. I've had the car for 3 weeks now, and absolutely love it. The last red car (make that the last car period), I had was a 1984 (1st year - Motor Trend Import Car of the Year) Honda CRX. Everything I've bought between than and now has been a minivan, or a pick-up truck - very functional, but not exactly fun to drive. This shiny new red xB has made owning and driving a car fun again.

So, here's a few photos I took of my new pride and joy last night:

Attachment 109994

Attachment 109995

Attachment 109996

Attachment 109997

Attachment 109998

As you can see, one of my first mods was a new set of wheels and tires. I went with the Kosei K1 TS wheels in silver, 18x8 40mm offset. The tires are Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 in 225/40ZR18. I like the open look of these wheels, and I wanted a set of 18" wheels/tires that weighed less than the original 16" steelies. At 17.2 lbs. each, these 18" Kosies met my needs. My G2 caliber paint arrived yesterday. So, in a couple days, the brake calipers, which can be easily seen through the Kosei wheels, will be painted bright red to match the car body.

I also have my Tanabe nf210 springs in the garage, which I will be installing later today. This box definitely needs dropped, but as a family car that will often have three kids in the back (including my soon that just turned 14 this week, already wears size 15 shoes and is far from done growing). So, I wanted something comfortable, and I don't want any rubbing when all five of us are in the car.

I have also added a Momo Combat Evo red/black shift knob and my rear spoiler was installed yesterday.

In addition to the nf210 springs and the G2 caliber paint, my Wheelskins red/black leather steering wheel cover arrived on Friday, and I have a red/black leather shift boot/eboot brake set on order from Redline and a color matched Sharkfin antenna on the way. So, by this time next week, the both interior and exterior should be a little more dressed up.

I have other plans, but those can wait for future threads. This is a great community and I've already learned a ton from reading through past and current threads.

PDX_xB

breauxseph 09-13-2009 08:33 PM

Welcome! and size 15 shoes for a 14 yr. old is shocking! and your obviously not wasting any time in making your ride your own. So GL with your xB

MeatRocket 09-13-2009 09:29 PM

looks awsome, cant wait to see the lowered pics.:love:

AndreyCo 09-13-2009 10:26 PM

I should have taken more time to find lightweight wheels...my MPG dropped to 22 with mixed driving. Used to be 25.

Here is a quick chop of how low the car should look.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...uartercopy.jpg

papo 09-13-2009 10:53 PM

cliffs on first post?

my06tc 09-14-2009 01:20 AM

good job looks so much better droped......... in know when i first got my tc i couldt wait to lower it i just hate thw way stock springs look like..i rarely see a women drive stick shift i dont know why but most people that do are gies and young teens

randomsuper 09-14-2009 02:27 AM

looks really good. and the rims look great as well.

xtylerx 09-14-2009 03:30 AM

Very nice, what # are you?

PDX_xB 09-14-2009 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by papo (Post 3296374)
cliffs on first post?

Cliff notes version:

Got Xb. It's red. Love it.

PDX_xB

PDX_xB 09-14-2009 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by breauxseph (Post 3296231)
Welcome! and size 15 shoes for a 14 yr. old is shocking! and your obviously not wasting any time in making your ride your own. So GL with your xB

Technically, he was wearing size 15 at 13 years old. He just started 8th grade and is 5'11 and weighs 177 lbs. That's what I weighed my senior year in high school. I'm now 6'4" 230 lbs and wear size 14 shoes. Something tells me the boy ain't done growing. A year ago his twin sister was taller than him. Now he's 4.5" taller than her

Of course, one of this things that attracted us to the xB is the roominess - especially the rear seat headroom. When we looked at vehicles at the Portland Auto Show, I made sure I sat in the back row of every vehicle we considered. I figured if I could fit comfortably, my son could too (for now).

I got the rear spoiler, floor mats and cargo mat at the dealer yesterday, and installed the NF210s this evening. I didn't get the calipers painted or the Wheelskins leather steering wheel cover installed. I might be able to do the steering wheel wrap some night this week, but the calipers will probably have to wait until next weekend. Too many mods, too little time.

PDX_xB

PDX_xB 09-14-2009 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by MeatRocket (Post 3296289)
looks awsome, cant wait to see the lowered pics.:love:

Thanks. No lowered photos, yet (see AndreyCo's simulated NF210 drop photo below). It was dark by the time I got done installing them.

PDX_xB

PDX_xB 09-14-2009 05:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by AndreyCo (Post 3296347)
I should have taken more time to find lightweight wheels...my MPG dropped to 22 with mixed driving. Used to be 25.

There were other wheels I liked better, but they were in the 25 - 27 lb. range for 18s. According to my bathroom scale, the Kosei's with the Hankook tires weigh in at 40 lbs. The stock steelies with tires and hub caps were between 43 and 44. So, I got 18" wheels and tires that are actually about 10% lighter than stock. I didn't have the original tires on the car long enough to use a full tank of gas. So, I don't know how the gas mileage compares with the new tires and rims, but I'd bet there is little, or no difference. The new wheels and tires are lighter, but they are also a little wider. So, they may have a little more rolling resistance that may cancel out the benefit of the lighter wheels/tires.

Originally Posted by AndreyCo (Post 3296347)
Here is a quick chop of how low the car should look.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...uartercopy.jpg

Thanks for posting that. It's pretty darn close. It was too dark to get any "after the drop" photos tonight by the time I finished installing the springs.

Here's a couple before and after garage shots to show the difference between the stock rear springs and the NF210s.

Before:

Attachment 109885

After:

Attachment 109886

I gained between 1 3/4" and 2" on the back and about 1 1/4" on the front. Basically cut the wheel gaps in half.

An even more radical drop would look better, but as a daily commuter and second family car, I'm happy with the compromise. It will also ride lower with the three kiddies (total current weight ~350 lbs. and all still growing) in the back. I took it for a serious test drive tonight with the new springs and it definitelty rides noticeably better than stock and handles great, too. Pretty much a win:win:win mod.

The spring install took longer than anticipated - about 4 hours from backing the car in the garage to clean up and out the door for the test drive. I haven't done any serious car work in about 20 years. I don't have an impact wrench, or a vise. I didn't even have a floor jack until this afternoon. Picked one up at Harbor Freight - regular $99.99 after sale price and coupon, I got it for $57.99, and the friendly cashier even threw in the 2-year extended warranty for free. So, I worked slow and methodical, by myself, using hand tools. Now that I've done it once, I'm sure I could do it again in about 2 1/2 hours, even with the hand tools and no vise. I especially got faster with the spring compressors as I went.

PDX_xB

PDX_xB 09-14-2009 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by xtylerx (Post 3296788)
Very nice, what # are you?

Mine is #181.

PDX_xB

XB2Pilot 09-14-2009 06:35 AM

nice story and congrats

PDX_xB 09-14-2009 07:18 AM

I just checked the email address I use for PayPal and I received an email from Visual Garage stating that my Sharkfin antenna shipped via USPS Priority Mail on Saturday. That means it should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

Mods on tap for the coming week/weekend:

Install Wheelskins red/black leather steering wheel cover
Install Sharkfin antenna
Paint Brake Calipers using G2 two-part red epoxy
If they arrive this week - install Redline red/black leather shift boot and ebarake boot.

PDX_xB

XBinRochester 09-14-2009 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by PDX_xB (Post 3297024)
Mods on tap for the coming week/weekend:
Install Wheelskins red/black leather steering wheel cover
install Redline red/black leather shift boot and ebarake boot.

I can't wait to see the pictures!

XBinRochester 09-14-2009 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by PDX_xB (Post 3296988)
I especially got faster with the spring compressors as I went.

Did you buy, borrow or rent them?

PDX_xB 09-14-2009 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by XBinRochester (Post 3297056)
Did you buy, borrow or rent them?

I "rented" them from my local Autozone. They charge a $50.00 deposit. If you return them within 90 days, you get a 100% refund on the deposit.

Shucks also has them with a $49.99 deposit, but if you don't return them within 2 days, they charge $6.00 per day for each additional day. I picked mine up at Autozone on Wednesday night, and knew I'd need them through the weekend.

The same policy applies to all their rental tools. So, if you need a specialized tool that you'll only use once (or on rare occasions), it sure beats buying something that will spend most of it's time sitting around unused. I'd rather spend my money on more mods for my xB.

PDX_xB

PDX_xB 09-14-2009 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by PDX_xB (Post 3297024)
If they arrive this week - install Redline red/black leather shift boot and ebarake boot.

I just got an email from Redline. My custom red/black leather shift boot and ebrake boot have shipped. However, they ship from Poland and it will take 6 - 10 days for the package to arrive (probably closer to 10 days since I'm on the West Coast).

So, no shift boot or ebrake boot this week. I'm sure all the other planned mods will keep me pleny busy.

I'm also thinking about getting a set of the black Clazzio seat covers with the red leather inserts and red stitching to match the red/black leather steering wheel cover, shift knob, shift boot and ebrake boot. I have a color swatch of the Clazzio red leather on the way. I want to see how well it matches the other products before I pull the trigger on the Clazzios.

PDX_xB

PDX_xB 09-24-2009 04:11 AM

Thanks. I've now had my RS6.0 exactly one month.

Mods, so far:

Kosei K1 TS Wheels - 18x8
Hankook Ventus V12 EVO K110 Tires - 225/40ZR18
Tanabe NF210 Springs
Limited Edition Absolutely Red RS6.0 Rear Spoiler
Sharkfin Antenna - Absolutely Red
Momo Combat EVO Shift Knob Red/Black
Wheelskins Eurotone Leather Steering Wheel Cover - Red/Black
Redline Leather Emergency Brake Boot - Red/Black
GR Brake Caliper Paint - Red
Blackout Paint Behind Front Grill

In process - Redline Leather Shift Boot - Red/Black*

They sent me the wrong one (1st Gen xB). So, I had to return it and am waiting on the replacement.

Possible future mods:
Personalized plates
Clazzio Leather Insert Seat Covers - Red/Black
5-Axis Design Lip Kit
Tenzo CAI
TRD Front Strut Tower Brace
TRD Rear Sway Bar
JL Audio Stealth Subwoofer

Miles to date - 1279
Smiles to date - infinite

PDX_xB