Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

It's not THAT little....Waxing the new xB

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default It's not THAT little....Waxing the new xB

....I finally got around to waxing my BSP xB2 today, and I can tell you, it's not a little Car, it took me a long time...it was 90* here too!!

It was well worth it though, the finish really really shines now...He looks fantastic!!

I used my usual Mcguires Gold Class as usual...it's an awesome wax for dark metallic Colors...just do the entire Car in one go, leave it for half an hour then go back and wipe it all off...no dust or residue...

Then I used Armoral Extreme Tire Gel on the Tires and Front Grill...it's a white Gel that lasts for a month or so...awesome stuff mate!!
Old 07-27-2007, 06:01 AM
SL Member

I'm still agonizing over what to put on my virgin paint. I want easy... I want no white chalk in the crevises... and I want it to protect.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mcguires gold class is the way to go, you wont get any white chalk and it will protect.

try clay baring and waxing in the same day, its tough but so worth it
Old 07-27-2007, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SimpleNature
I'm still agonizing over what to put on my virgin paint. I want easy... I want no white chalk in the crevises... and I want it to protect.
I've heard good things about this one...
http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,1,1
I've never used it myself....

I really like the one I use (Gold Class) it's easy to get out of crevises with a soft Paint Brush.....
Old 07-27-2007, 11:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

go check out adams waxes. they have a detail kit on there that goes for......$800!!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 11:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've been testdriving the nanowax stuff from eagleone. it's pretty good for a quicker spray wax. i like it cuz it's more convenient than the liquid pour waxes ... but it can't replace the hardcore waxes
Old 07-27-2007, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I use Meguiars exclusively. I love that stuff.

When I bought my Black Celica used, it looked like crap. Paint was looking dull and had ton's of swirl marks. After a few rounds of polishing, clay, cleaner and wax, the paint looked almost new.

Before you clay, go ahead and rinse the entire thing down good. You may want to use dish soap to get the dirt off and residue off since it will be the first time before the wash. Follow that up using meguiars gold class car shampoo and it will be ready to clay.

I am soo glad I waxed mine last month. Right after we started getting a ton of rain and I can tell the wax has taken a beating. But thats what it's for.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:19 PM
SL Member

What is this "clay" for?
Old 07-27-2007, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the clay bar takes the wax off your clear coat so all the dirt and stuff that gets in the wax over time is takin off.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:46 PM
SL Member

The clay bar is awesome. I used it on my silver Frontier and the silver *really* pops now. It's got a sparkle it definitely didn't have before. When you see the grime a clay bar will take off the paint you'll swear by it.

My 2008 HTM xB has a date with the clay bar this weekend. Then I think a coat or two of Meguiars should look great on it.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

You should also consider buying one of the 7" buffers. It's not so powerful that you can damage your paint, but they do a wonderful job of applying, removing and buffing your paint. A buffer will also reduce the time it takes by at least 60%.

I have two, and it's the only way to wax!
Old 07-27-2007, 07:15 PM
SL Member

There's no need to clay bar these new 2008 xBs yet. Let it go for 6 months - 1 year before that I'd say. After that time though I like to clay the car every 4-6 months. You would do it more if your car was a show car of course.

I hear a lot of good things about McGuires Gold Class. Personally I've used McGuires NXT Wax for the past 3 years and I think it's absolutely great. Really brings out the color, and is super easy to apply. Might be cheaper then the gold class as well. I know a bottle is only about $19.00
Old 07-27-2007, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pufbox
There's no need to clay bar these new 2008 xBs yet. Let it go for 6 months - 1 year before that I'd say. After that time though I like to clay the car every 4-6 months. You would do it more if your car was a show car of course.

I hear a lot of good things about McGuires Gold Class. Personally I've used McGuires NXT Wax for the past 3 years and I think it's absolutely great. Really brings out the color, and is super easy to apply. Might be cheaper then the gold class as well. I know a bottle is only about $19.00

Unlike me, some people didn't wax the day after they bought it (I would have done it that night, but it was dark). If you haven't waxed before. It's not a bad idea.

Gold Class is fairly inexpensive, at least for the liquid wax. I bought the Cleaner, Polish and wax for next to nothing. Next time I go to wax, I'll run the polish over it once to make is shine like a bald mans head (no offense to the hair deprived).

I also highly recommend getting a 7" buffer. A big problem when waxing is swirl marks, using a buffer takes care of that and more than halfs the amount of time you need to spend.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

are there any good buffers without a "cord"? i have to clean my car in my own parking stall, so you know...NOT very convenient for me.....yeah....k...
Old 07-27-2007, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by superboxcarxb
are there any good buffers without a "cord"? i have to clean my car in my own parking stall, so you know...NOT very convenient for me.....yeah....k...
Check around. Do not, and I mean not, buy any of the cordless buffers at Wal-mart or target. Complete waste of time, and they do not spin fast enough.

Ryobi makes a lot of good cordless items. Check with them. I have a Ryobi corded buffer and I love it.

I am going to pick one of these up because I just got a ton of Ryobi tools for my birthday...

http://www.oneplustools.com/special/p430
Old 07-27-2007, 09:47 PM
SL Member

When I got this car it was pretty dirty. It is one reason I haven't done anything to it yet. I didn't want to bury stuff under/in the wax and I really don;t want to screw things up. In this case, I figured if I did nothing but put touch-up scratch removal and other odd cleaning, I couldn't really hurt it either. Sounds like a little clay can't hurt it... sort of a polishing compound, I would venture to guess.

Now about those windows: Why can't you get that squeeky clean window feel? It always has that filmy sticky spotty feel to it when you try to clean it. What's up with that?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont think we need to clay yet.
I've also heard Turtlewax's ICE is good too but doesnt last long.

I still dont know what I'm going to use for the 1st wax
Old 07-28-2007, 12:48 AM
SL Member

I used the Tutlewax Ice Polish on my car. It gives a good shine but I t hink the McGuires "Showroom Glaze" or something like that might be better. I used that McGuires polish two cars ago on a bergundy paint and man did it come out nice. Never seen a car shine so nice. The Turtlewax Ice is still good but the only thing I didn't like about it is that it dries clear so it's harder to see any spots you missed. I then waxed it with a wax called Pinnacle. This was given to me by someone but it's a great wax. The person that gave it to me said they bought it online and it cost $35 for a little tub of it. Supposedly it's what they use for hi end cars like Ferraris, Lambos, and such cars but who knows.
Question--Do you guys just wax your cars or do you polish them first?
Old 10-23-2010, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default clay barred and wax super white

i washed it, clay barred it, and wax it this morning, look at her shine!
Attached Thumbnails It's not THAT little....Waxing the new xB-img_4304.jpg  
Old 10-23-2010, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member

How long did it take you? I wanted to do mine today but it's raining here in Dallas.