Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

My sob story

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member

Default My sob story

This is just going to be a complaining post, so I'm not really if everyone will want to read this.

Orginally I had the first gen xB. I loved it. I didn't want the 2nd gen, I was really happy with my 1st. I kind of considered that it fit my personallity type. It was fresh, innovative and I could do anything that I wanted with it. I even have the LED lights added to it (it was a 2005) and I was actually able to pay it all off.

Then I had an accident which wasn't my fault, but due to complications I was only able to get $500 from the accident. I was totally screwed over. Now, I'm an on-call engineer and I have to be available all the time also, having a new car works a lot better because I'm not buying someone elses problem. While I didn't care for the new xB's so much that was what I thought the only choice I really had. Because I liked the old ones, so the new ones should be great too.

Then I saw the Kia Souls... wow. I really wanted one. But there are no features and it seems limiting. Also... who really owns a Kia? Resell value is next to poor considering other companies.

Then I saw the Nissan Cube. It's what the 2nd Gen Scion xB SHOULD have been. An even fresher style then the older scion, a LOT more bang for the buck (baseline for a cube is about $14,000) also a higher MPG.

Now, I'm stuck hating my new car, envying the Cube's and Souls out there. I honestly feel I have the raw end of the deal. While nobody was twisting my arm to get a new car, there was a heavy influence from my career and my life. So if I were to trade in my Scion I would be $5,000-6,000 in the hole. I just want things to be fair, and this most certainly is not...
Old 05-27-2009, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
MN Scions

life isn't fair. I know how you feel. Just suck it up and wait it out i guess
Old 05-27-2009, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK so what is the point of this thread??? To b!tch to people that actually love their cars? If you dont like it sell it and take a lose and get something you will like... And second go complain to Soul and Cube owners... They may be more sympathetic (sp)... Just cuz you have a opinion and a keyboard doesnt mean any one cares... Thanks for wasting our time.... Peace!
Old 05-27-2009, 09:12 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

LOL at the "Cube, It's what the 2nd Gen Scion xB SHOULD have been" comment. That thing is a turd and looks terrible.

Why do you hate the xb2 so much? It's better than any of the vehicles you mentioned and for $16k its a great bargain for what you get.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:09 PM
SL Member

Suck it up, buttercup. I have seen a ton of used 1st gens that are still under waranty. "Not wanting someone else's problems" is no excuse for buyer's remorse.

-JB
Old 05-27-2009, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow... seriously though, i hate the cube, and the Kia... LOL anything that is Kia sucks *****. But anyways, im sorry but i dont think scion owners will agree with u on your opnion on teh 2nd gen. I love my 2nd gen.

I will be riding this car till the wheels fall off.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ShaffNasty
OK so what is the point of this thread??? To biscuit to people that actually love their cars? If you dont like it sell it and take a lose and get something you will like... And second go complain to Soul and Cube owners... They may be more sympathetic (sp)... Just cuz you have a opinion and a keyboard doesnt mean any one cares... Thanks for wasting our time.... Peace!
Well, I never MADE you read the post. Also, it's called venting, which is something we all do (except you, apparently.)

Originally Posted by Jailbird
"Not wanting someone else's problems" is no excuse for buyer's remorse.
No, I happen to think it is. Again, I'm an ON-CALL tech. I drive more then 60 miles in one day. So when I need mobility it needs to be reliable. I can't take that risk that something may go wrong with it. Unlike a lot of people on these boards, I don't know a whole lot when it comes to cars, but I do know that whatever I'm driving needs to be 110% reliable.

Why do you hate the xb2 so much? It's better than any of the vehicles you mentioned and for $16k its a great bargain for what you get.
Because, in the end... it's not. With everything said and done my car came out to be around $18,000 (Base MSRP, Del, Proc & handling also with some other addition fees, no add-ons was included)

for $2,000 more, I could have a bluetooth connection in my car, colored interior lights, upgraded speakers, automatic on/off headlights, outside temp display and 16" aluminum wheels. Oh and an added MPG which I can't "add-on".

again, I'm venting here because I'm ____ed off. Like nobody is guilty of that...
Old 05-27-2009, 11:30 PM

The cube and the soul look like trash IMO... sucks you aren't happy but I wouldn't trade my xB for 3 cubes or souls...

if you read the owners manual you'd see that xB2's have an exterior temp displays
Old 05-27-2009, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this "situation" sounds a little bit fishy to me.

you said your car was totaled and that you only received 500.00. what is the REAL story?

My guess is that if anything is bothering you right now it is...

A. You caused the wreck and there for only got 500.00
or
B. You were actually screwed over in the process

either way I believe your angst is due to this rather than what car you did or didn't buy. IMO all the vehicles you mentioned are all pretty nice in their own ways.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Look... You make a thread on a SCION fan site talking trash on the very car people love... You are going to hear a lot of negative feed back.... AGAIN go vent to the kia and nissian fan boys... Your title should have read "I make horrible decisions and suck at life!" then maybe i wouldnt have read the thread cuz i would have known what is was about.... Enjoy your crappy car!!!
Old 05-27-2009, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

^
Old 05-28-2009, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Falco
So when I need mobility it needs to be reliable. I can't take that risk that something may go wrong with it. Unlike a lot of people on these boards, I don't know a whole lot when it comes to cars, but I do know that whatever I'm driving needs to be 110% reliable.
You're not driving an American car - it won't fall apart or need a new transmission after 60,000 miles. You already bought reliability by buying Toyota, especially when it's a new car. Not to mention, most dealerships offer free towing with extended warranties. Or you could sign up for AAA, the much cheaper alternative, but with better service. The only way you'll have car problems with your box is if you don't take care of it and drive it like a drunk teen or a middle-aged man trying to relive his youth in a 158-hp car.

Because, in the end... it's not. With everything said and done my car came out to be around $18,000 (Base MSRP, Del, Proc & handling also with some other addition fees, no add-ons was included)

for $2,000 more, I could have a bluetooth connection in my car, colored interior lights, upgraded speakers, automatic on/off headlights, outside temp display and 16" aluminum wheels. Oh and an added MPG which I can't "add-on".
Just so you know, ANY new car you buy from a dealership will have fees attached to it, especially if you want the extended warranty. You're probably not good at haggling a good deal from a dealership because I had a fantastic deal on my box when I bought it. Got the car and the extended 100,000 warranty for $17,500.

The Nissan Cube is underpowered version of the infamous xB2. Of course you're going to return better MPG when you're driving at a base 122-hp engine. The car is just as aerodynamic as the xB, so impressive numbers won't be seen, however, they will be higher than xB.

I, however, prefer to have somewhat greater acceleration in a car. The original xB had a... 108 hp engine I think? I like having some passing power in my car - it's much safer and I still get decent MPG. But if you're overtly concerned about having 28 city in a Cube as opposed to 24 city in a xB, obviously you will adjust your driving habits to compensate: 4 mpg is not that great of a difference when you're getting stronger refinement with your Scion.

The Cube is as basic as the Scion is: you're not driving a $30,000 car. It's going to feel the exact same as a stock xB, or perhaps worse. After all, corners are cut to make that car the way it is, so you're not going to have refined suspension. Plus you'll be surrounded by cheap plastic and a loud engine as it struggles with those RPMs. The sluggish acceleration and obvious body roll are a major turn-off for me.

From what I understand, you are into aesthetics: you like the funky design because it's different. That's cool, too. I am definitely into the exterior and interior looks of a car. The thing is, the xB2 is different, too. And personally, I prefer the look of the xB2 over the Cube and Soul any day.

The Soul is quite a unique car, but you get what you pay for. That Kia will literally fall apart, but maybe not as fast as a Dodge or a Chrysler. Not to mention, that resale value will be awful. By buying a Toyota, you're sure to return a better amount than you would with the Soul.

Then I saw the Nissan Cube. It's what the 2nd Gen Scion xB SHOULD have been. An even fresher style then the older scion, a LOT more bang for the buck (baseline for a cube is about $14,000) also a higher MPG.
What are you talking about, "a LOT more bang for the buck"? The Cube has the exact same features as the xB2 does, but the box comes out on top with even more features such as cruise control, iPod interface, upgraded sound system, etc. And the cruise control is what I use to save on fuel on my long highway commutes, as I drive 60 miles a day, too. Fortunately you don't have different models of the xB2 to choose from as seen in the Cube. You can buy the 1.8, the 1.8s, the 1.8SL, or the 1.8Krom. That's like a Microsoft operating system. No thanks. I'm extremely happy that the xB2 comes in one version.

And if you don't believe the features are the same just like with the xB, here's the options it comes with, the base version that you apparently are stoked about:
"Curvy starts here: 122-hp 1.8-liter DOHC 4-cylinder engine, Air conditioning with in-cabin microfilter, AM/FM/CD audio system with auxiliary audio input jack, [2] power windows and door locks, 60/40 split-fold reclining/sliding rear bench seat 6 standard air bags, Anti-lock Braking System, Vehicle Dynamic Control, [3] Traction Control System, and Tire Pressure Monitoring System." (quote from the official Nissan Cube front page)

I don't see any difference between the Cube and the box, only that the xB2 is much more attractive and refined. So if you want an underpowered car, then go spend the $16,000 to buy the base cube after dealer fees and warranties that you can't haggle down like I can.

If you were that concerned about price, features, and mpg, you could have stepped down to a xD and purchased a "fresh" car for cheaper but with virtually the same features. And it'd be as small as the Cube if not smaller.

You made a great deal buying that xB2, but if you're not satisfied with it, take the hit and sell the car. There's no point driving around in something you're not happy with. Go test drive the Soul and the Cube and then make a decision from there. I'm going to warn you though that you are much better off with the Cube than the Soul. Kia is a lot better than they used to be, but Nissan is an esteemed and reliable company. You'd be a fool to buy into the hype of the Kia.

for $2,000 more, I could have a bluetooth connection in my car, colored interior lights, upgraded speakers, automatic on/off headlights, outside temp display and 16" aluminum wheels.
Wow, you could put in all this stuff for much, much cheaper. My parrot unit cost me $150 on eBay and I installed it myself. As for lighting, I upgraded my dome light. Woopity doo - I can see a lot better now. Speakers - drop in a bazooka bass tube to direct the bass there instead of in the components and bam! - instant sound upgrade. Put down some insulation in the car using carpet tiles for $50 a box and the sound is greater, too. DRLs... do you really need them? Is it that hard to turn the switch with your left hand so that your driving lights are on? The xB2 already has a temperature display, and it comes with 16s already. So let's see - I get all those refinements for less than $400? I'd rather pay $400 than $2,000. Not to mention having the $2,000 financed at a dealership with their ungodly interest rates would be appalling. The only way I would feel better about myself spending almost $1,000 in money the dealership doesn't deserve is if I refinanced the car at a credit union 18 months after I made the deal. Why would you pay more money for refinements you could either do yourself or purchase for much cheaper?

If you need car buying tips, maybe you should check out one of my all-time favorite Web sites, Edmunds.com.

Just, please, please don't buy the Kia. Everyone here at ScionLife will hunt you down if you sell your soul to the Soul.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

^ only read 3 lines.....and all i can say is PWND!!!!!!
Old 05-28-2009, 07:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
MN Scions

WALL OF TEXT!!!!!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member

LOL your story is hilarious

Throw a temper tantrum because you didn't get what you want. Do your research and put your priorities in line. You need RELIABILITY for your job so get a straight up Toyota and deal with the blandness.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1GreeKtC
^ only read 3 lines.....and all i can say is PWND!!!!!!
Amen to that. Really bugged me. It was a very long post, but it's an interesting read. I usually don't read other posts when they're that long, but this one actually should straighten Falco out right. How could you NOT love your xB? That's a crime against nature.

Originally Posted by Murbyrne
WALL OF TEXT!!!!!
I'll build fortresses to protect the integrity of the xB.

Originally Posted by igeekone
LOL your story is hilarious

Throw a temper tantrum because you didn't get what you want. Do your research and put your priorities in line. You need RELIABILITY for your job so get a straight up Toyota and deal with the blandness.
Amen, there's a reason why all of us here bought those Toyotas. It's not just because the Scions are cool and have great features, but it's because we're buying reliability, too. As for the blandness, I more than compensated by striking a great deal buying my car and modding the hell out of it, too.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

You're still in a box mindset, that's why you like the Cube and Soul so much. The xB2 guys don't really get that, well because their vehicles blend more and are more mainstream. Not to be downtrodden on the xB2 guys, but you don't really understand the 1st gen mindset. I love the Cube, but the Soul is iffy with me, but Is till like it. If I were in your situation I would be a tad sad that I couldn't have gotten the Cube.

That being said, I agree with some of these dudes. You're in the situation now, so either deal with the xB2 you have or suck it up and go into debt to get a Cube. It's all up to you.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Big_Bird
You're still in a box mindset, that's why you like the Cube and Soul so much. The xB2 guys don't really get that, well because their vehicles blend more and are more mainstream. Not to be downtrodden on the xB2 guys, but you don't really understand the 1st gen mindset. I love the Cube, but the Soul is iffy with me, but Is till like it. If I were in your situation I would be a tad sad that I couldn't have gotten the Cube.

That being said, I agree with some of these dudes. You're in the situation now, so either deal with the xB2 you have or suck it up and go into debt to get a Cube. It's all up to you.
True. I'm okay with the Cube, but the xB2 is a more refined car, which is why I'm driving it instead of a Cube. If I bought into the hype, then I'd trade my car in and get the Cube instead, but I love the more refined box that I am driving now.

As for the Kia Soul, it is a sexy car. I like the look and I think it is very intriguing and definitely a head turner, just like those Smart Fortwos. Granted, you won't see me in one of those, but it is a head turner, and I believe that people will drive the Soul because that is precisely what it is. But the xB2 is also a head turner. I get people looking at my car all the time.

The main problem I have with the Kia is the parts. When a Kia breaks down (and believe me, they do because my sister owned one years ago), the parts have to been imported: they are expensive. Not to mention, the warranties on those cars are not good. They don't cover the parts that actually break on the car. If you buy a cheaply manufactured car, then you're going to get a cheap car for sure.

Hyundai, on the other hand, has definitely stepped up in quality over the years. Their reputation used to be tarnished by having cars with faulty transmissions that keeled out under 100k miles. Kia needs a lot of work to turn around, but they're definitely on the right track. The new cars they will be sporting, such as the Koup and Soul, are great concepts. They are trying to pull a Toyota and bring in younger customers. And I think those cars will do great.

Kia needs about 10 more years before they will become more mainstream like Hyundai is. By then they will have established enough rapport and credibility. I like the looks of the cars, but I won't buy a Soul unless Kia starts building more quality vehicles. That's part of the reason why I bought my Scion, because it'll last for 200k miles if I want to keep it that long.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:31 PM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

I say delete!

do i here a x2?

pointless post for off topic cafe
Old 05-28-2009, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member