Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

New here, saying hello

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default New here, saying hello

So I have made a few posts but not introduced myself yet due to lack of pictures. So toke some today.

My name is Douglas, I am a technician at a Toyota dealership. I have been for 2 years, and before then a Nissan tech. I am always more than happy to answer any questions or help with anything I can. Before this I have a had a large variety of vehicles, almost all engine swapped or s/c, t/c. So I am not new to modifying .
2003 Chevrolet S-10, 5.3/4l60e 320whp n/a
2004 Mustang Cobra, 4.6/6spd 400whp s/c
1995 Honda Civic, B16/5spd 400whp t/c
1989 Nissan 240SX, SR20det/5spd 300whp t/c

2010 Scion xB
Bought it new with 200 miles on it from the dealership I work at (Savannah Toyota) and absolutely love it. I had plenty of chances to drive them and check them out lol so I knew what to expect. It was the interior room that sold me, this is one of the first vehicles I been in I have not had to set the seat all the way back to be comfortable in. Plus working at Toyota means maintenance and any trouble from anything would not be a problem lol.

Obviously all of my first mods are going to be oem/TRD stuff. I bought it completely base to save on the final price. So far I have added the rear deflector, Alpine stereo, illuminated scuff plates, and the factory alarm system. For TRD goodness I have the oil cap, shift ****, quick shifter, cold air intake (absolutely love the bumper vent too, lol its one of the coolest things to me), exhaust, strut bar, springs (not installed yet, I am waiting on my struts/shocks to come in), and the 19" wheels (also not installed, waiting on tires) and I have ordered just waiting on it to arrive a RS 6.0 grill.

So here are a few pics of it I toke of it when I got it and today. Its perfect for me for what it is. I have turned almost every vehicle I owned into a race vehicle lol, and I wanted something new that I could mod with a large selection of factory parts. I am tired of "making" stuff work and fit, I love the oem parts so far everything has went together perfect. It is not as fast as I am used to but its not meant to be. Its got a good little grunt to get it going and keep me occupied in traffic. Eventually I might supercharge or turbo it (also my past trend with vehicles) but not sure yet.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome mate! If you need any advice or questions, sound/lighting/Paint/N/A performance wise hit me up! Good choice on the scion. and trust me that growl can be made a roar even before turbo so have at it!!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome to Scionlife
Old 09-12-2010, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

welcome Douglas, names Paulo, just turned 16 on the 1st, prob the youngest here, i like what you did with your other cars, just wondering say i lower a car with non oem parts and take it for an oil change, will they take note of that so in the future they have reference if ever i break something and try and warranty it? just wondering cuz i really want to do some stuff with our box but warranty issues is a big deal for me...
Old 09-12-2010, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Every place I have ever seen really does not care about aftermarket modifications, unless they directly impact what you are having problem with. IE you put on a ebay intake or something and you throw a CEL and your maf is bad, well they are not going to cover it. Using that as an example because I have actually seen that in our shop. But we (nor any place I have seen) don't document anything done. We work on and do warranty work on aftermarket modded vehicles all the time. As long as the mod did not cause the problem, its no problem.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rear muffler support has changed, much improved solid design.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you! i know about how they can't refuse to warranty your vehicle unless they can trace it back to that part, but i just wanted to make sure they don't document any of that stuff, ie like the dmv redflagging your vehicle for an illegal engine swap.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Welcome to the SL community. I think you'll find this is a pretty nice Scion community to be a part of. The site is also pretty easy to navigate... but if you have any questions about anything don't hesitate to ask. There are a lot of knowledgeable, experienced people here in just about every aspect of building, customizing, etc. that you can possibly think of, on Scions and many other types of vehicles as well.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Matt9876
Rear muffler support has changed, much improved solid design.

^^^ Are you referring to the pic in this thread showing his B with the TRD exhaust?
I'd have to agree and disagree at the same time. lol.
Agree - it's nice that you dont have to worry about clearance issues because it goes up and over instead of under (like it has to on the tC). Don't know how much of an issue that would be once he decides to drop it with a lowering spring kit or coilovers. Might run the risk of the axle smacking into/making contact with the exhaust on medium to larger bumps in the road.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:21 PM

Welcome to the site =)
Old 09-13-2010, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got grill installed today. I put my rear springs on this weekend but not the front yet (waiting on struts) so its got a little lean in the back lol. After putting it on and looking at it I am going to paint my core support. Might do it tomorrow if I remember to get some paint. (pics are iphone)

Old 09-14-2010, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

welcome man ................if you need any help anyone will be happy to help;
Old 09-17-2010, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Shocks/struts/springs installed. Ride is amazing, can't wait to get 19's on it now

Old 09-17-2010, 01:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To equalize all that red under there, you probably should throw a TRD sway bar on it. Just saying.

Nice mods so far! How does it ride with the new shocks? I'm debating whether or not I'll see a major comfort improvement by installing this.

Since you work at a dealership and have driven all the cars, do you think that these TRD shocks would get the ride comfort that I experienced when driving a Corolla? In regard to speed bumps and things of that nature.

My current setup is 225/25/18 and Eibach Sportlines (much lower than your drop), but I'm swapping tires and springs to more comfortable ones soon.

I don't like Corollas, but that ride comfort was just way too incredible for me to ignore.

Last edited by pyroman131; 09-17-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey sorry was so long in responding, have not checked this thread. It rides awesome on the shocks/springs, a lot better than many of my previous vehicles. Its not typical lowered car ride, its very responsive. It does feel a lot better than the corolla's factory suspension. The road we normally test drive on is pretty rough for helping find squeaks/rattles and the xB is a lot more comfortable down it now.

Anyway new mods are I finally got my carpet mat for the cargo area in, and added oem foglights. I hated cutting the grill, if you did not add them you may not have known this, I wished they would have made a grill for the fogs like the tC. Also just ordered a set of Onex hids (h11, 6k) and once I get them in and installed I may add a set to my fogs if I like them. Also sitting at work waiting on me is the TRD sway bar I will put on Monday, and update this with pics of everything. Still no tires for my wheels lol, I keep getting sidetracked with other stuff. Just bought a hutch for my new Matco box, that set me back a cool $1500. I am sure any mechanics on here can agree, I abhor how expensive tools are.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Gutling
Still no tires for my wheels lol, I keep getting sidetracked with other stuff. Just bought a hutch for my new Matco box, that set me back a cool $1500. I am sure any mechanics on here can agree, I abhor how expensive tools are.
Nice looking ride, man! As for the tool prices, they suck *****! I hate buying off of the tool trucks! The only name brand, tool truck bought stuff I own are a Cornhole (err... I mean Cornwell) box and cart.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 10-22-2010, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Woot new mods (without pics yet) I got my O-Nex hid kit in yesterday and installed it and love it, looks awesome. I am ordering a second set for my fogs. Also installed XM radio, which turned out to be a job lol. Had the passenger seat, rear seat, and carpet all up to do it. But I do like how it mounts under the seat and the navigation module attaches to the top of it, very clean.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So finally quit being cheap and bought my tires, got them mounted up yesterday. Love the ride, with the TRD suspension feels as good as stock with a nice sporty feeling. I went with Toyo Proxes 4 tires instead of Nittos, I wanted to try a different brand and they had pretty good reviews. My Nittos (I ran 555s) were cold natured, were very hard in the morning but warmed up. These Toyos are not as much so. They do have a bit more road noise than the Nittos, I plan on rotating them about 2000 miles at my next oil change and see if maybe its just b/c the new rubber.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's amazing how much better these cars look after a few simple mods.