Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

New issue of Car and Driver slams the new xB

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by glock32
I agree that we can all be one big square happy family. I have nothing against the XB2's, (yes, I have had second thoughts) LOL, but for me, my 1st gen fits MY needs best. It's a great little commuter and I always have people asking me about it in parking lots. (Okay, I do go to WalMart, I admit it).
What I wish Scion (Toyota) would do is make a regular cab, short bed Tacoma-like truck in the Scion concept. You know, well equipped, high tech and economical. I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Heck, my wife would probably trade her Accord in for one. It seems here in Oregon, Toyota dealers may have one or two base model 2x4 Tacomas in a sea of double-cab 4x4 $30K Tacomas. What do you guys think? A Scion XP?
I got another idea. Take the Tonka Truck looking FJ Cruiser and downsize it to the Scion brand without getting rid of its toy truck looks. I think it's great looking but who wants 17MPG and on Premium gas no less? Give me 4 wheel drive on an xB chassis. Sounds crzy but the original bB came in a 1.3L engine and the 1.5 was available with 4 wheel drive. Hmmmmmm!
Old 07-23-2007, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member

I love that car and driver has a special place in their heart for the 1st gen. Its a great car. Every point they made about the additions is exactly why I got a 2nd gen. I really don't see those as weaknesses, rather strengths for an all-around better vehicle. Nostalgia can only take you so far, and my 08 does just fine passing by nostalgia every time I enter the highway, with a big smile on my face.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by layoutworx
I love that car and driver has a special place in their heart for the 1st gen. Its a great car. Every point they made about the additions is exactly why I got a 2nd gen. I really don't see those as weaknesses, rather strengths for an all-around better vehicle. Nostalgia can only take you so far, and my 08 does just fine passing by nostalgia every time I enter the highway, with a big smile on my face.
Valid points for real. As long as you're happy with yours and I'm happy with mine - that's all that matters - right?

Of course, like the famous race between the tortoise and the hare, you can pass me now (and I will pull over and give you right of way) but I'll catch up and pass you while you're at the pump getting more gas.

BTW, I admit to being nostaligia personified. Afterall, I was driving a couple of years before Woodstock so your point is right on target. Gen1 is very much like the Fiats, VWs and Dodge Darts we were driving back then.

"To each their own!" Enjoy your Gen 2. They're both awesome and unique cars compared to the rest of the field out there!
Old 07-23-2007, 11:22 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by YellowSubxB
Of course, like the famous race between the tortoise and the hare, you can pass me now (and I will pull over and give you right of way) but I'll catch up and pass you while you're at the pump getting more gas.
The whole mileage thing is way overblown. The gen 1 drivers are generally clinging to the old numbers which weren't always realistic. The 2008 numbers come a lot closer to reality for most drivers. Here's a quick breakdown and a suggestion that you *won't* likely be passing any 2008 xBs at the gas pump.

Mileage:
The 2006 xB automatics' adjusted 2008 mileage estimates are 26/31
The 2006 xB manuals' adjusted 2008 mileage estimates are 26/30
The 2008 as we all know by now is rated 22/28

Range:
2006 xB Automatic (11.9 galllon tank) - 309.4/368.9
2006 xB Manual (11.9 gallon tank) - 309.4/357
2008 xB (14 gallon tank) - 308/392

Here's a link to some shared mileage numbers. I usually post up mine and keep track of my mileage on that site for my vehicles. The first gen xB does well for the most part but not as well as some would have you believe. The sample size for the 2008 model is still pretty small but the ones logged so far seem to be exceeding 28mpg (mine included).

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.d...Scion&model=xB

When all is said and done *you* got the vehicle that *you* wanted. We'll see you at the pump and don't worry, even though you're driving the old one, we still like your ride just fine.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bancho - Your final statement is the most accurate and valuable. As long as you got what you like and enjoy driving it, go for it.

I never trust government stats or magazines that work hand and hand with the oil companies and car manufacturers. Real world works best for me. I base my conclusions on the mixed driving I do with our three Gen1 manual xBs. We average 33 MPG in mixed driving.

I'll wait and see as our club friends with Gen2 xBs get in the real world to see how far apart the two are (or aren't) in MPG ratings.

But, again, it doesn't really matter as long as you are happy with your ride as I am with mine.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:04 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by YellowSubxB
I never trust government stats or magazines that work hand and hand with the oil companies and car manufacturers. Real world works best for me. I base my conclusions on the mixed driving I do with our three Gen1 manual xBs. We average 33 MPG in mixed driving.
You may not trust "government stats" but it's disingenuous at best to compare 2008 mileage ratings for the xB2 to the previous years' mileage ratings for your xB1. Regardless of your trust of the government, you have to harmonize the ratings to the same standard in order to compare them, otherwise it's apples and oranges. If you're getting better than what the new ratings may suggest, then there is nothing wrong with the rating and they're well aware that people are able to do this (that's where the "your mileage may vary" bit comes from). The ratings themselves are *estimates* and there will certainly be people who can exceed them just as there will be people who can't.

I filled my tank last night and after resetting everything and doing some running around then commuting in to work this morning, my average mpg readout is saying 35.1 mpg (all speeds on my commute are 60 or below with moderate traffic). The computer seems optimistic, but it's usually within 2 mpg. I'll see how it works out next time I fill up. I always calculate range divided by gallons filled.

Anyway, time will tell. Next year all the manufacturers will be back to comparing apples to apples but for now the xB2 somewhat undeservedly gets the shaft.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I read about Scion Specs on here I had the exact same gripes C&D and MotorTrend did as well. Sadly I am not surprised Toyota would go this route with the box... the surprise was anything really original with any personality coming from Toyota in the first place.

I am VERY sad to say both mag articles are 100% correct in their analysis. Folks wanted more power, without compromising fuel economy too much. Essentially everyone including myself wanted the 1.8L engine instead of the 1.5L. The problem is that by trying to make the 2nd gen mainstream they loss the character and basis of the vehicle in general.

I believe you purchase a xB for the value, low price, drive-ability, interior room, efficentcy, and the personality.

-->The new car offers more power (which was a concern) but takes a 10+ MPG hit on fuel economy. Scratch that off the list.
--> The new car add more room (which was not a huge concern at all) and in-turn greatly increases the wheelbase and weight and reduces the drive-ability. Scratch that off.
--> The new car rounds everything off making it more mainstream appealing. Scratch off personality.
--> Relatively speaking the new car is still an excellent value, but this is a subcompact/compact vehicle and even if it is nicely equipped a starting price north of $16K is a in the upper tier of its category. Simply put eventhough they are different vehicles... which would you rather have at the same price a TC or an XB? Scratch low price, but keep value.

The car will sell, perhaps... just perhaps more but I an quite certain xB buyers will flock to the real winner of the bunch, the xD, and stick with a proven winner the TC. More importantly the entire idea behind the product line will be lost in the XB... older folks will start buying the xB in greater numbers and instead of getting younger buyers hoping to sell up in future... older buyers will buy down from more profitable toyota SUVs and sedans.

If anything good came from the redesign its that the xD is incredibly better than its xA forefather. Look for xD sales to really take off.

Its all so sad.... why toyota... why?
Old 07-27-2007, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Radiodude
I believe you purchase a xB for the value, low price, drive-ability, interior room, efficentcy, and the personality.

-->The new car offers more power (which was a concern) but takes a 10+ MPG hit on fuel economy. Scratch that off the list. Not a chance in hell. City is down 4, highway is down 2, mixed is down ~3. Both the EPA estimates and reported real-world mileage reflect this change.
--> The new car add more room (which was not a huge concern at all) and in-turn greatly increases the wheelbase and weight and reduces the drive-ability. Scratch that off. Well, maybe parking lot maneuverability and agility, but "drivability" referring to ease of driving is actually up, as the weight and wheelbase make the car much more stable and calm at higher speeds.
--> The new car rounds everything off making it more mainstream appealing. Scratch off personality. It is definitely less "different" than the old one, but I don't think the looks are exactly "mainstream".
--> Relatively speaking the new car is still an excellent value, but this is a subcompact/compact vehicle and even if it is nicely equipped a starting price north of $16K is a in the upper tier of its category. Simply put eventhough they are different vehicles... which would you rather have at the same price a TC or an XB? Scratch low price, but keep value. I would rather have an xB...way more room, better fuel economy, more distinctive styling, lower price, and about 95% of the performance of the tC.

The car will sell, perhaps... just perhaps more but I an quite certain xB buyers will flock to the real winner of the bunch, the xD, and stick with a proven winner the TC. More importantly the entire idea behind the product line will be lost in the XB... older folks will start buying the xB in greater numbers and instead of getting younger buyers hoping to sell up in future... older buyers will buy down from more profitable toyota SUVs and sedans. I don't know what is is like where you live, but I am keeping track of the estimated age of xB drivers I see. So far, I have seen 1 driver who looked under 40, and 6 who looked over 40, 4 of which were senior citizens.
The bold lines are my responses.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:22 AM
SL Member

Turning radius of the xB2 (34.8 ft) is better than that of the xB1 (36 ft).

BTW Radiodude, way to completely misrepresent the mileage numbers...