Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

New xB2 Owner needs Security recommendations..

Old 09-18-2007, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default New xB2 Owner needs Security recommendations..

What's up, this is my first post on the forums as I am now a new owner of a BBC xB2. I love the car so far,bought it stock except for the upgraded HU. I might do a few mods but I'm not sure yet. Anyway, I don't really live in a great neighborhood and would like to get a alarm system and remote start.
How are the Scion Security and remote starters from the dealer? are they worth the money? I was looking at the viper 7something at Best Buy and the guy said i had to get some bypass for my key. Is it worth getting a aftermarket unit with all those extra features it comes with or should I just go to
Toyota and get it there so it will be a more seamless system since its factory and it will work with all the features of the car? OK, I'm rereading this and I don't know if I'm making any sense. (wake up at 3:30am for work I'm a little tired right now )
So if anyone can make sense of what I'm asking thanks in advance.

Mic

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-10-2019 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Year Badge
Old 09-18-2007, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

IMHO find a nice custom shop in your area that does alarms and go talk to them

That's what i did and I just got the new Viper 5900 with remote start, interior and exterior motion sensors, shock sensors, glass breakage sensors, hood pop sensor, starter kill, back-up battery, and automatic windows, with a 2 way LCD paging remote with a 1 mile range for 600.That's not that much more than the Toyota VIP alarm and a hell of a lot more features. plus it has 5 auxiliary outputs that I will use for things such as my under glow. you honestly cant beat that set-up in my opinion.

Then if you want to go crazy you can do what i will be doing to it in about a month. Viper makes a GPS system that works with any of their alarms. this system allows you to go onto your computer at home and log in and check where your car has been, where it is going, how fast it was/is going, and also lets you lock/unlock your car, start your car, and disable your car. plus with the system you get a phone call almost immediately if your car moves without disarming the alarm, if it is started without the key, if it crosses any boarders, or pretty much anything is done to make it think it is being stolen. plus if stolen you can call
the police and they can locate it via this GPS immediately and get to it way faster then with LoJack. this system runs about another 500 but is worth it in my opinion. plus i am not 100% sure but herd rumors that both of those systems submitted to your insurance company can sometimes lower your payments

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-10-2019 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Year Badge
Old 09-18-2007, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

So the microchip thingy embedded in the key doesn't really prevent theft, right?
Old 09-18-2007, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nothing prevents theft, they just impede theft, they are deterrants.

i think the lojack early warning system would be a great investment for your cars security.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

An Aftermarket Alarm is not only cheaper, but you end up getting better features out of an aftermarket Alarm. I just bought this alarm http://www.cardomain.com/item/AVXAPS...FSMuYQodIWaskA and it is a really nice setup. The best part is that it works with all DEI components as well.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
nothing prevents theft, they just impede theft, they are deterrants.

i think the lojack early warning system would be a great investment for your cars security.
If a car thief really wants your car, they can take it. However, you can make it such a pain in the ___ for them to do it that they'd rather just quit than risk being caught.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Went with Clifford Matrix and added window roll up module. Under $279- installed.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

so they do make a bypass for our keys? one of the guys at best buy told me they dont make it and i cant get an alarm installed untill they do. I wont be getting the alarm there i was in there buying a movie and decieded to take a look at the alarms.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by mic360
so they do make a bypass for our keys? one of the guys at best buy told me they dont make it and i cant get an alarm installed untill they do. I wont be getting the alarm there i was in there buying a movie and decieded to take a look at the alarms.
Not sure which year of Scion xB you have but I was told that the Scion '08 does not need a Key Bypass Module. Though I could be wrong.

______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-10-2019 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Year Badge
Old 09-18-2007, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I have a 08 and the guy at bestbuy said i needed one and it would run me about 200 dollars for it (but they arent out yet so how would he know the price? ).
Old 09-18-2007, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by mic360
I have a 08 and the guy at Best Buy said i needed one and it would run me about 200 dollars for it (but they aren't out yet so how would he know the price? ).
Well, I will have mine installed this weekend and I can tell you for sure. But According to DEI which makes just about every type of alarm out there (Clifford, Viper, Hornet, Valet, etc) states the '08 model
of the Scion xB does not need a bypass module which seems to be what they are trying to sell you. Plus $200.00 is a rip for that piece. You can find it wholesale for around $80-100.

______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-10-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You do not need a key bypass like everyone else is saying.

I went a different route with my alarm this time. I used to use 2 way alarms but the battery consumption and transmitters I've never really liked. I like the remotes that came with the xB2 so I just bought an add on security system to the keyless entry. I bought the Viper 330v. http://www.viper.com/Products/Produc...?ProductID=111

It unlocks my doors, auto locks, auto arms, does whatever I want to program it to do. It also has one extra output in case I wanted to add a remote start or roll my windows down. It was tricky to install mainly cuz I kept thinking it was broken when in actuality i needed to program it to the door lock type.

But now it works perfectly. I've added a hood sensor and it protects my car as much as any other alarm would. My wholesale cost on it was about $50. I spent roughly a day installing it because I took my time to hide it nicely and kept the wiring extra neat.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got my Viper 791xv at a local shop, worth the money for remote start and security. It deters kids who try to mess with your car (and notifies you), but like other's said, nothing can prevent theft!

I really like how I can start my car from inside and be _notified_ that it really started, because with my first car's remote start, I would have to walk outside to make sure the signal got through and the car was running, which kinda defeats the purpose!

If you're set on getting security and remote start, go aftermarket, it's a lot cheaper than the dealer add-on. And, you definitely don't need a bypass... (see The End-All Sticky in the ICE forum)