Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Port or Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Port or Dealership

Hi gang. I'm a new member here. I ordered an 08 xB, and with it, got the premium radio, Sirius satellite, and the underdash and cupholder lights. My dealer said that since the car wasn't in port yet, the accessories will be installed once it shows up in port. That should be this week. After looking at the installation instructions for the satellite radio and lighting at trdsparks.com, I started to cringe. For professionalism, and having the work done properly, would you say port or dealership install?
Old 07-05-2007, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Port installed items are installed as good if not better than dealership installed due to large amount of port installs they have more experiance at it than what the dealership guy might have.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:37 AM

im actually one of those dealership guys ....who install those scion( plus 9 other dealers)accessories and aftermarket alarms and remote starts....i do them every single day and build the cars for the showroom that are later sold with all the accessories on them.....and i happen to be a silver level installer...im sorry i just hate how everybody seems to juss talk down on all the dealership installers....but the reason y they gave u the choice was because it is cheaper for the dealership to install it at port...rather than having to order the parts and have the dealership guy install it ...guarantee u get the same workmanship either way but ive seen some faults....ive seen the port installed accessories and wen they connect wires together they use those cheap t taps and scotch locks ..which is pretty much a no-no in my business.. wen they do the spoilers they never silicone the holes so water can leak...but i guess it could depend wat port it is gettin installed at....

Old 07-05-2007, 11:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info, guys.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does jus = just ?
Is im = I'm ?
Does wen = when ?

People judge you and your profession based upon what they see or read at times. Sometimes this may be unfair, but when you speak up for a group of people, you should really try to put your best foot forward.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Interesting. I thought most of the sattelite radios were done at the local dealer.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I suggest getting your accessories installed @ the port. They'll more than likely have the accessory in stock when your xB2 arrives. I'm not saying ALL dealers do bad accessory installs. But I'd suggest the port because they do like more than 3 installs of an accessory a day.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is my point they do a larger amount of installs while a dealer may do 2-3 a week
Old 07-05-2007, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Xtreme_Graphics
Does jus = just ?
Is im = I'm ?
Does wen = when ?

People judge you and your profession based upon what they see or read at times. Sometimes this may be unfair, but when you speak up for a group of people, you should really try to put your best foot forward.
Priceless. I thought I was the only one that cringed at this type of thing.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by uberspeed
Originally Posted by Xtreme_Graphics
Does jus = just ?
Is im = I'm ?
Does wen = when ?

Priceless. I thought I was the only one that cringed at this type of thing.
Agreed. Somehow I don't feel particularly compelled to go the dealership route when the techs are spelling "what" and "when" as "wat" and "wen".
Old 07-05-2007, 11:57 PM

the way i type? thats wat u people base your opinion on? that's kinda pathetic ...wat does that have to do with anything involving installs...?

Old 07-06-2007, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by marcemarc_xB'08
the way i type? thats wat u people base your opinion on? that's kinda pathetic ...wat does that have to do with anything involving installs...?
Regardless of how intelligent or mechanically able you may be, it makes you LOOK like an idiot who is borderline illiterate, or some young kid who spends his days in chat rooms. You could have the intelligence of Steven Hawking and the service abilities of Sam Memmolo (spelling?), but typing like that does not not give such an impression.

Of course your typing is what we base our opinion on, it is all we CAN base it on. We don't know you personally, don't know what you look or sound like, or anything else about you.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Wow derailed thread anyone?

1) I prefer to talk to the installer no matter where I am going whether it is on a car or anything else. If you don't feel comfortable then don't do it.

2) @bigfieroman Don't you know this is a forum? We can't have logic here. IT IS FORBIDDEN!

Congrats and good luck on the new xb!
Old 07-06-2007, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Apocalypse
SL Member

Get it done at the dealer that way if you have a question you can actually talk to the guy who installed it. The port wont answer your questions.

If anyone is curious, all of the accessories that arent available yet at the local dealer is because they stopped them all at the port and wont release them yet . Makes it hard for the do it your-selfer to but his/her own parts to install..
Old 07-06-2007, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wen they do the spoilers they never silicone the holes so water can leak.
That is exactly why I put my own on. I did not trust anyone to do that. Not just for water leakage, but in Wisconsin those drilled holes left to salt filled moisture in the winter will corrode in no time.
I silicone sealed the crap out of mine inside and out when I did it.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Again, thanks for the info guys. It's all getting done at the port anyway, so I guess I don't have a choice.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bigfieroman
Regardless of how intelligent or mechanically able you may be, it makes you LOOK like an idiot who is borderline illiterate, or some young kid who spends his days in chat rooms. You could have the intelligence of Steven Hawking and the service abilities of Sam Memmolo (spelling?), but typing like that does not not give such an impression.

Of course your typing is what we base our opinion on, it is all we CAN base it on. We don't know you personally, don't know what you look or sound like, or anything else about you.
ok so when if i were talking to you what would go through ur head wen i said wat or wen ? i wonder how he spells it wen he types? and by the way i work 6 days a week full time at the dealership as the installer... so base u people are basing ur opinion on.... and it is easier to go to the dealership cuz u know who exactly is doing the install and u can build up a relationship with them in case u ever need anything else done...

Old 07-06-2007, 11:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Uncle, uncle, uncle.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:36 AM
SL Member

Why is it that some people just can't use the letter "h"

wat wen etc.. it kills me. It's like they are trying to type "urban".
Old 07-06-2007, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Wow. I hate to jump on the bashing train but that is painfull. Did you read any of that before you posted it? I am the last person to correct people on forums about grammar and typos but I couldn't even make any sense from your post.

Quick Reply: Port or Dealership