Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Possible Hydrolock

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Possible Hydrolock

Its been flooding here in Charleston and I fear the worst. I was driving home and I ran through a really large puddle. Other cars drove though with no issue. While driving through, the car died and I feared the worst. I am currently unable to start it, and I know that was a dumb idea but I went into panic mode. I have a TRD CAI with the snorkel and there is no water at the bottom. The filer is wet and the MAF sensor had a droplet or two on it. Also, the front lip of the intake was still dry. I checked the depth of the puddle and it does not reach the top of the intake where air gets sucked in, and I added a few inches for error. The starter doesnt do anything but groans and dies. All of the lights come on in my dash as well. I have yet to check my fuses but would a blown fuse have anything to do with it? I watched a new charger coast through like it was nothing.

Should I still prep for the worst? Luckily I have full coverage and will only have to pay a deductible if something is serious.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pull the plugs out, pull the fuse for the fuel pump out and turn the car over several times. If you have water in the motor it will shoot out of the spark plug holes like a fountain.

Signed owner of once hydrolocked xB with CAI...

Mine happened in mobile al in flooding, plus wife wasn't paying attention. Luckily State Farm replaced the motor with a used one with less mileage, minus my $500 deduct. Also, if you get insurance involved do not point out the fact you have a CAI just tell them you got caught on a flooded street and the car just died.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by elwaylite
Pull the plugs out, pull the fuse for the fuel pump out and turn the car over several times. If you have water in the motor it will shoot out of the spark plug holes like a fountain.

Signed owner of once hydrolocked xB with CAI...

Mine happened in mobile al in flooding, plus wife wasn't paying attention. Luckily State Farm replaced the motor with a used one with less mileage, minus my $500 deduct. Also, if you get insurance involved do not point out the fact you have a CAI just tell them you got caught on a flooded street and the car just died.
Thanks for the reply. I pulled the plugs but I cant get it to turn over. I tried jumping the battery and even replaced the starter.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn, that may be real bad then. When I did my reading if the car dies quickly it can stop internal damage, but yours may have experienced that. Id get it into the dealer with your flood stall story and get the process going.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by elwaylite
Damn, that may be real bad then. When I did my reading if the car dies quickly it can stop internal damage, but yours may have experienced that. Id get it into the dealer with your flood stall story and get the process going.
I have an aftermarket axle back, lowering springs, and CAI. Will the dealership point that out?
Old 10-07-2015, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not sure, think it more depends on the adjuster. I just gave the dealer and insurance company a simple story, the dealer verified water in the engine, the adjuster came out a few days later, and gave them the OK to get a used engine. Whole job was like $5400 for an engine with around 65k on it (car had 85k or so).

I did read if an adjuster sees the CAI they have denied claims before, but it's worth a shot and if they do cover it you are a clear.

Once the dealer eval'd the issue they handled my claim with State Farm directly, so if you cant get it to turn over a shop is the next stop to diagnose it. Also, in instances of a large disaster like this, many times insurance companies just start printing checks with little verification (have seen it several times after a hurricane) because the adjusters are swamped. Id go ahead and get this process started to get in line (after the flood here which was minor it took the adjuster 5 days to show). To be honest, if the engine is fracked and they wont cover it, there isnt much else to do other than putting it back to stock before you take it in.

Considering you changed the starter, and pulled the plugs out and it would not go, I feel it may have internal damage. Mine did not have internal damage but since it ingested water they opted to get a used motor.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wish I still had my stock intake. I threw it all out when I moved up here.

I have the TRD one so maybe it wont matter.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did the same. Tried to find one quick but noone has them and a new one was more than my $500 deductible. So I just took the chance with the dealer. My motor would turn over fine, it just shot water out of the spark plug ports like a humpback whale when I turned it over.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

After looking back, when I took the plugs out. I did not see any standing water. I just saw the cylinder heads. A co worker suggested that something is causing too much resistance and not allowing the starter to get the right about of voltage.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could be. I know you can load test the starter, but you already replaced it. I guess a voltage test would be next. Did you check to see if the throttle body at the end of the CAI tube or inside the upper part of the tube were wet. That is the first thing I checked before I turned mine over. Mine was wet all the way up.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Sagara09
Thanks for the reply. I pulled the plugs but I cant get it to turn over. I tried jumping the battery and even replaced the starter.
If it is a manual transmission put it in first and rock it, and see if the belt moves.. If it does, it is likely salvageable, if not you seized the motor..
Or get a Pull bar, put it on your harmonic balancer and try to turn the motor by hand, make sure the ignition is OFF, and make sure the battery is disconnected, and the car is NOT in gear.. (Anyone know if the engine spins clockwise or counter clockwise? )
Old 10-08-2015, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There was a few droplets in the intake and the breather hose when I pulled it off.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member

What was the conclusion on this? Motor toast?
Old 02-17-2016, 05:23 AM
5 Year Member

I would drain the oil. If there is water in there it will come out before the oil does. If thats the case, your motor is toast.