Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Problems on your 08 XB

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Problems on your 08 XB

I bought my 08 Xb about three weeks ago, and since I have owned it I have came into some problems that I want to see if any of you other new owners have experienced. First, issues with the pioneer unit, the LCD screen tends to turn off and appear blank but continue to play music, has that happened to any of you? I had it replaced once already but it continued to do the same thing...(Toyota is "looking" into the problem).
Old 06-12-2007, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like it's sort of a screensaver of sorts... but I don't know if that's a normal "feature" or not of something like that. Is there a certain amount of time that it will wait to turn off? I'd say time it and see how long it lasts. Maybe it really is a "feature."
Old 06-13-2007, 02:55 AM

Well, LCD screens, kind of like CRT and plasma screens, can get images "burned" into them if a certain image sits on display long enough. So by automatically turning itself off, it makes this a lot less likely to happen. Doesn't sound like a problem to me.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I havent had that probem
my only complaint is how the water runs into the car and theirs really just no avoiding that haha
Old 06-13-2007, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The owners manual should mention something about it if its a feature. U have to expect probs, u have a brand new model be glad its just something stupid like a radio n nothing major.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:11 AM

Well what is worse that I forgot to mention is once the screen goes out, all the buttons stop working on the unit, and can only be reactivated once the car is turned off and then back on, which can be really annoying when driving long distances.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My handbrake is kind of wiggly...?
Old 06-13-2007, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

had a loose dash piece, ordered a new one, but no big deal... no other problems so far and now have 2700 miles on mine
Old 06-13-2007, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AlexV
Well what is worse that I forgot to mention is once the screen goes out, all the buttons stop working on the unit, and can only be reactivated once the car is turned off and then back on, which can be really annoying when driving long distances.
Well, I think it's safe to say that is not a "feature".
Old 06-13-2007, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^agreed that's not a feature. Make a call to corporate if the dealer still can't resolve it.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by AlexV
Ahhhh... that is the "no distraction" feature. It keeps you from operating it while the car is running for long periods. If you'd waited long enough it would have shut off all together so that there is no extra noise in the cabin whilst you concentrate all your efforts on driving. Or putting on makeup - or talking on the phone - but certainly not operating a distracting radio!

That's a bad one - what investigation? Just replace the radio - ya clowny dealership!

Sorry you're having to deal with that.

My unsolvable problem has been with the installation of my alarm. It appears after 4 visits that they used the wrong one of two possible ground wires to the dome light and broke an ECU and some other highly wired box. They had to get the part from Japan, so right now - no alarm, the dome light stays on in "door" mode and the autolock doesn't worky.

Otherwise it's completely drivable and still great fun to drive!

Good luck with yours.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MikeMayer
My handbrake is kind of wiggly...?
I have this as well. And if you wiggle it to the top of the wiggle room, the car thinks the brake is engaged.

I'll be bringing this up when I finally get around to taking the car in to get the remote starter installed.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Sophisticated Scions
SL Member

I have not had any of these problems with mine. I have had it right at a month now with 1700 miles.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Basilius
I'll be bringing this up when I finally get around to taking the car in to get the remote starter installed.
I got the remote start and man it's cool works well from a distance, only thing is the engine shuts off when you unlock and get in, then you have to restart it. It's purely for hot and cold days and trickster bragging rights. fun-to-do. As far problems go none to date but then again still fresh.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its going in for installs tomorrow so i'll have them check the handbrake.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:31 PM

Well as it turns out, I just had ONE defective radio, yes one. Toyota failed to replace the head unit as they said they had on my previous visit. So after many apologies my radio was replaced, and is working great. Thanks for all your advice on the matter. Now, I will be going in next work for them to replace the windshield cowl cover issue, that I know a lot of you have been having problems with too!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:27 PM

mine has a creak on the passenger side, I think in the center pillar. It creaks when I turn, accelerate, go into driveways, speedbumps...it is really bothering me. I have the TRD springs in and I know the dealer is going to tell me that is the reason for the creak, but thats BS. A car with less than 300 miles shouldn't have a creak in it.

I tear apart the pillar later and try to put some elbow grease up in there.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my shift **** like rolls around when u grab it hard lol

i totally want a cube shift **** i think thatd be the lillest thing
Old 06-22-2007, 06:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1573 miles with no problems. thanks scion.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

the only thing i notice is that i tend to high beam when i go to signal... other then that im lovin the car.

Quick Reply: Problems on your 08 XB