Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Scion Security System question..?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Scion Security System question..?

hey guys, so im brand new to this website but never a stranger to forums (former Matrixowners.com veteran). im looking into a 2008 BSP xB2, and am curious about the Scion Security System option. i didnt know if i should put this in the ICE section, but i figured the lounge would allow me more hits to this question. my understanding is that there is a built in glass sensor that will trip the alarm when its broken, but does it also go off if someone were to say.. try to steal a rim, hit a door panel or hood? owners of the stock security system, please give feedback whether you like it or not. my main issue is regarding whether to install an aftermarket shock sensor to the stock alarm or to just go with aftermarket altogether. i also hope to install an aftermarket remote start since reading on these forums that the stock auto start kills the car when you unlock? any help regarding this would be great!
Old 08-02-2007, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

no, they can do anything they want to your car, if they don't break the glass, then they are safe. Even if you were in the car, with the security on, I yelled into the mic, and it didn't go off. So i don't know how safe the security really is on it. I would get an aftermarket alarm if i knew about this. Thanks!!!!
Old 08-02-2007, 06:38 PM
SL Member

I have the optional dealer-installed Security System on my '08 xB2. Based on my cursory reading of the system's manual, it is my understanding that the only sensor is a microphone (sensitive to taps on the glass, and glass BREAKING). Then the horn sounds, etc.

Also, if someone does get inside, the starter is disabled until system is turned off with the owner's key.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I installed the factory securiity system myself and IMO, it's decent but not great. With the glass breakage mic sensitivity set to max sensitivity even a slight tap on the glass or clapping your hands will set it off. Although it does seem to be more sensitive to higher frequencies (like breaking glass). It's not nearly as good as having several mics and a motion sensor but it's as good as most aftermarket system with a single mic. You just have to set the mic sensitivity properly. Scion recommends 5 but that wasn't sensitive enough. I have mine set to 3 or 7. I can't tell because I adjusted it after installing the GB module and can't see the settings.

In summary, I like it okay. Easy to install and as good as my last aftermarket alarm. Unfortunately, some jackass slamming their door into your car probably won't set it off but few alarms can detect something like that without too many false alarms like when a motorcycle rides by.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

SO, how do you set the alarm????? I would like to know, i think mine is set to 1 or something.