Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Should I?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Should I?

I've been passively thinking about picking up a new Xb. I don't need another car, but I've modified my current one for HPDE and track use to the point where its just not comfortable on the street anyomre. I'm trying to figure out if an Xb would be a wise thing, or if I should just wait an extra year until I graduate (cal poly SLO) and pickup something a bit nicer.

Any input?
Old 07-11-2007, 05:51 PM

What's your other ride? How often do you even need to drive? I'm sure you'll be busy with classes, so waiting might be good.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:13 PM

I have a 95 civic hatch.

2100 pounds, serious suspension work, loud as hell (i built the motor) noo AC and no power anything. I run it in advanced, and its often one of the fastest cars on track.

Sat at Buttonwillow:

I drive it daily to/from my apartment to campus (4 miles) and drive home to LA which is 180 miles every once and a while. I put around 200 miles a week down though.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats a tough call...your puttin a good amount of miles on it just cruisin around for a track car...but as long as it can handle it then i say wait...if the track thing i serious get a new car and dedicate the civ...
Old 07-11-2007, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I say get the xB2. Being that your track car is also ur DD.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:25 PM

Cars are expensive. Heh. I'm only 24... been working two years and seen 30-40% of my paycheck go towards my car (the SE-R I owned previously). If you'll be comfortable financially and you think you'll be happy with the xB for a few years, then go for it. If you're stretching yourself financially, don't put yourself in a hole for a car.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by jinsungpsu
Cars are expensive. Heh. I'm only 24... been working two years and seen 30-40% of my paycheck go towards my car (the SE-R I owned previously). If you'll be comfortable financially and you think you'll be happy with the xB for a few years, then go for it. If you're stretching yourself financially, don't put yourself in a hole for a car.
Thats basically where I'm sitting. I just have a hard time justifying the payment, but I kinda dug myself into a whole with over modyfing my car for track use. In the long run, a year isn't bad, but another 15K miles with this setup (its only gonna get worse, I can't help it!) is not gonna be amazing either.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:54 AM

this is the interwebz.. haha... i guess i could be a bit more specific...

So I owned a Sentra before I bought the Scion. I got it for 0 down, 1.9%. The car itself was under $17k. This was my first car (with my first job). I had no idea how much this car would set me behind.

$313 payments. $120 insurace. $65 parking. $60 gas. Hmm.. that's ~$560 going towards my car. To put that in perspective, I paid less than $300 for rent.

If I would've known what kind of financial commitment it was going to be, I wouldn't have done it. Also, had some loans to pay, etc, etc.

By the grace of God, I have generous parents. Once I was no longer upside down on the Sentra, I went for the safe choice (a Toyota)... the parentals helped me with the down payment. Now insurance went down to less than $90 and car payments less than $230. Helps a lot.

I've heard people say something like "don't put more than 10% of income towards your car payment..." I'd say it's a hard rule to try to follow, but I'm sure people came up with that number for good reasons.

In the end, like I said, if you see yourself in the xB long term (as in, you're not gonna want to upgrade to a nicer car) after you graduate, go for it. If you're just settling, then I'd say wait.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:58 AM

and i'm sure you already know this.... but these are just people's opinions... read 'em with an open mind, but you're gonna have to live with the decision and all that comes with that decision (and the car...)

So if you're really into cars, I know a lot of people that put like 50% of their income (happily) towards their car, and that's cool.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:44 PM

While I do put a larger amount of my income towards my car, I think you've done a good job convincing me to wait.

I may run some numbers and see if I can squeeze it in...