Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

The Sun!!! D/S sunvisor just aint cutting it...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 05:46 AM
SL Member

Default The Sun!!! D/S sunvisor just aint cutting it...

Sunny So Cal is living up to its name and I am being blinded on my Trip North up the 170 every evening on the way home from work... The sun visor is just not long enough to block out the sun. Short of illegally tinting the front drivers side window, though I am willing to do it, any suggestions? Dont want to hang a towel from the window or anything cheesy like that -- but being stuck in traffic for 45 minutes having to hang onto the oh-poop handle so my forearm/hand blocks the sun, really sucks. Is there an extension available for the visor? And yes, I already have good sun glasses. Thanks!
Old 07-20-2007, 10:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I just did a quick Google. Do a search for "sun visor" or "extend-a-visor" or "sun visor extend" and you should find plenty of options.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The best thing I can think of...without going to the illegal tinting of the front windshield would be a pair of nice polarized sunglasses.

Go to your local sunglass store and get you some nice shades to carry the "cool dude" effect of ride.

I don't know any kind of windshielf visor modification that is too attractive in my book, and sunglasses just seem to be the most simple answer.

Plus...sunglasses get you a better cover.

I wouldn't want anything illegal on my ride. Its way too much of a hassle trying to hide it from the wonderful protectors of the people.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:43 PM
SL Member

Default glare

Can you put a 6 inch glare shield of tint??? Is that legal???I'm not trying to be funny Do you ever see people at the beach with visor type headbands???
Old 07-20-2007, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wanted to add just a bit to liquidtrend's great advice. I'm an optician and i wanted to add that wal-mart is NOT a sunglass store. Make sure you purchase your sunglasses from a Sunglass Hut, or an Optometrist's office. If you get junky 19.99 sunglasses your going to cause a lot of problems later in life.

Cheap sunglasses claim to blow 99-100% UVA/UVB but often they block about 30-40%. What they mainly do is darken the light, causing your pupils to dielate letting more UVA/UVB in. Thats bad.

Oakley, Maui Jim, Rayban, Revo, and so on are going to offer you true protection.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zlog
i wanted to add just a bit to liquidtrend's great advice. I'm an optician and i wanted to add that wal-mart is NOT a sunglass store. Make sure you purchase your sunglasses from a Sunglass Hut, or an Optometrist's office. If you get junky 19.99 sunglasses your going to cause a lot of problems later in life.

Cheap sunglasses claim to blow 99-100% UVA/UVB but often they block about 30-40%. What they mainly do is darken the light, causing your pupils to dielate letting more UVA/UVB in. Thats bad.

Oakley, Maui Jim, Rayban, Revo, and so on are going to offer you true protection.
What does it matter? Your vehicle's glass already blocks UV light. That's why transition lenses do not work inside of a car.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Huge difference with good polarized lenses.
And the vehicals glass does not take away all the bad things from sunlight.

But lets look at the benefits of a polarized lense.
Reduced glare, better protections, cleaner vision.

If you do go to a sunglass hut, or any other chain of such, you can do a demonstration. And see the huge difference yourself.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

or just mold new visors out of fiberglass... honda had a great idea, they built extendors into their visors for a while, i dont know if they still do..
Old 07-21-2007, 04:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe you could get a surplus fighter pilots helmet with sun shield to wear when the sun is out. This would provide both head protection and eye protection. I can just see the looks you would get, especially if you had the full face mask part with the oxygen feed.
Al
Old 07-21-2007, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question: Why does it have to be illegal tint? Or is there a such thing as legal tint in your area?

And consumer reports tested cheap glasses and expensive ones a while back and came to the conclusion that the cheap ones block the same amount of UV rays, in some cases a lot more than the expensive fashion glasses.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
Question: Why does it have to be illegal tint? Or is there a such thing as legal tint in your area?

And consumer reports tested cheap glasses and expensive ones a while back and came to the conclusion that the cheap ones block the same amount of UV rays, in some cases a lot more than the expensive fashion glasses.
Fashion glasses aren't the same as what were talking about. There is a huge difference, for example, oakley polarized, and $5 gas station.

Now compairing prada sunglasses..yeah I can see what they're saying.

And lets not go and pay too much mind on consumer reports, was there not a recent thread about them bashing on the new xb?

Either or, the helmets a good idea.
Then you can change your username to maverik.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fashion glasses aren't the same as what were talking about. There is a huge difference, for example, oakley polarized, and $5 gas station.

Now compairing prada sunglasses..yeah I can see what they're saying.

Either or, the helmets a good idea.
Then you can change your username to maverik.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:08 PM
SL Member

In Cali, any tint on driver and front passenger side is considered illegal regardless of the %. Though cops don't really sweat it unless thery're looking for a reason to pull you over. Funny thing is it seems that they don't make cars with the extension on the visor anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And lets not go and pay too much mind on consumer reports, was there not a recent thread about them bashing on the new xb?
That would be Car & Driver, and the bashing wasn't nearly as bad as that thread made it out to be.

However, as stated, 99% of UV rays is 99% of UV rays, no matter how you slice it, and their tests confirmed it. Now, don't get me wrong, there are other reasons to go with the high dollar glasses, but protection from UV rays isn't one of them.

In Cali, any tint on driver and front passenger side is considered illegal regardless of the %.
You wanna get that changed? Just start a campaign to educate people that is exactly the same as ala-BAMA! People in Cali don't even want to admit that folks from Alabama are the same species
Old 07-21-2007, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That would be Car & Driver, and the bashing wasn't nearly as bad as that thread made it out to be.

However, as stated, 99% of UV rays is 99% of UV rays, no matter how you slice it, and their tests confirmed it. Now, don't get me wrong, there are other reasons to go with the high dollar glasses, but protection from UV rays isn't one of them.

In Cali, any tint on driver and front passenger side is considered illegal regardless of the %.
You wanna get that changed? Just start a campaign to educate people that is exactly the same as ala-BAMA! People in Cali don't even want to admit that folks from Alabama are the same species
my apologies on the mix up.
but again i think you are only looking at one thing.
and in no way am i trying to make this an argument.

* Sunglasses provide protection from ultraviolet rays in sunlight. Ultraviolet (UV) light damages the cornea and the retina. Good sunglasses can eliminate UV rays completely.

* Sunglasses provide protection from intense light. When the eye receives too much light, it naturally closes the iris. Once it has closed the iris as far as it can, the next step is squinting. If there is still too much light, as there can be when sunlight is reflecting off of snow, the result is damage to the retina. Good sunglasses can block light entering the eyes by as much as 97 percent to avoid damage.

* Sunglasses provide protection from glare. Certain surfaces, such as water, can reflect a great deal of light, and the bright spots can be distracting or can hide objects. Good sunglasses can completely eliminate this kind of glare using polarization (we'll discuss polarization later).

* Sunglasses eliminate specific frequencies of light. Certain frequencies of light can blur vision, and others can enhance contrast. Choosing the right color for your sunglasses lets them work better in specific situations.

in all honesty, the UV rays dont account for much on the driving experience.
more so is the glare and the frequency of light and intense light.

granted that low end sunglasses can keep the uv radiation out...everything else that would be important in a smooth driving experience is hindered.

to each his/her own though. its not my place to tell you to go buy polarized lenses. i was only offering my experience and understanding.
IMO polarized lenses are something you need to experience to truly understand the joy of having them and not just uv protection.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

what about the stock tint? is that illegal in CA?
Old 07-22-2007, 07:09 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by BozzMan
what about the stock tint? is that illegal in CA?
No because the stock tint is the back windows. Only if you have the drivers side window and the front passenger side window tinted is illegal. All the rest is ok
Old 07-23-2007, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm a huge fan of Polarized lenses myself, I'm just not going to pay upwards of $80 to get them, and luckily, I don't have to.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No because the stock tint is the back windows. Only if you have the drivers side window and the front passenger side window tinted is illegal. All the rest is ok
But there is a tint on the front windows from the factory, it's just very light.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BozzMan
But there is a tint on the front windows from the factory, it's just very light.
The front side windows stock are about 50%-70% and legal in all 50 states.

Anything you do to it after that is supposed to be in compliance with the individual state laws. Here is a place that has a nice simple break down of what is legal by state.
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/
Looks like the original poster can do 4 inches of non-reflective tint of say 20% at the top of the windshield. That will not help below the sun visor, but would help in many cases.

Quick Reply: The Sun!!! D/S sunvisor just aint cutting it...