Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-owners-lounge-1768/)
-   -   The Sun!!! D/S sunvisor just aint cutting it... (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-owners-lounge-1768/sun-d-s-sunvisor-just-aint-cutting-108788/)

BozzMan 07-23-2007 04:40 PM

so then my (from the factory) tinted rear windows in my xB are illegal in New York, which says the rears limit is 70%

scionofPCFL 07-23-2007 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by BozzMan
so then my (from the factory) tinted rear windows in my xB are illegal in New York, which says the rears limit is 70%

I assure you that toyota is not going to sell illegal equipment on vehicles. The back windows are probably 35%, meaning, they let in 35% of the light.

If the front windows let in anything less than 95% I'd be shocked. The only way you even can tell they're tinited is at the dealership when they have a row of 40 cars and you look down the row through the windows. Then you notice the then very obvious greenish hue to the glass.

roXor_boXor 07-23-2007 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by BozzMan

Nope.
It is clearly in compliance with the law or Toyota/ Scion could not sell them there.

NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law, Section 375, Subdivision 12-a
Attachment prepared 8/8/01

12-a. (a) Every motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, when driven or operated upon a public highway, road or street shall be equipped with a front windshield in a fixed and more or less upright position constructed of safety glass as defined in subdivision fourteen of this section and required by subdivisions eleven and twelve hereof. No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign or other nontransparent material other than a certificate or paper required to be displayed by law upon the front windshield or the sidewings or side windows on either side forward of or adjacent to the operator`s seat.
(b) No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon any public highway, road or street: (1) the front windshield of which is composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent unless such materials are limited to the uppermost six inches of the windshield; or (2) the sidewings or side windows of which on either side forward of or adjacent to the operator`s seat are composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent; or (3) if it is classified as a station wagon, sedan, hardtop, coupe, hatchback or convertible and any rear side window has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent; or (4) the rear window of which is composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent. A rear window may have a light transmittance of less than seventy percent if the vehicle is equipped with side mirrors on both sides of the vehicle so adjusted that the driver thereof shall have a clear and full view of the road and condition of traffic behind such vehicle.
First, to the point of the thread, you have an even better deal than California. You can do 6 inches at the top of the windshield.

To your question, regardless of the type of vehicle, any of the side or back rear windows can be tinted more than 70% as long as you have two outside rear view mirrors.

BozzMan 07-23-2007 06:14 PM

Tint Laws Get Shady In Different Areas

Susan Haggerty says she was visiting her sick aunt in Manhattan when she saw flashing lights in her rearview mirror.

"Police pulled me over, and I thought 'What did I do?' They said 'Could you roll down your back window, because your car has excessive tinted windows and we want to check it.'"

Haggerty said the car had been purchased from a Pennsylvania dealer, with no after-market tint. But that explanation didn't hold much weight compared to the light meter the police placed on the window.

"When they put the meter on it, the meter read 70" Haggerty said. "After that, they said 'It's excessive, so we'll have to give you a ticket for it."

She was given a $40 ticket with a $50 surcharge.

Haggerty contacted Ford to explain and verify the factory tint of her windows.

A Ford representative said: "We can't build vehicles to meet ordinances of any one particular township, city or municipality. It's too bad customers are getting caught in the middle of this when their vehicles meet federal requirements."

And even with a factory regulation tint that Haggerty claims to have, Tsekenis said, "If the police feel it's too dark, they can issue a ticket anyway for their safety."

Haggerty paid the ticket right away, so it may be too late to challenge, but she plans to use the information from Ford to fight it.

al74dart 07-23-2007 06:27 PM

I live in Arizona and when Arizona cars with tint on the front side windows go into California the Highway Patrol is waiting for us. They don't care that it is legal in Arizona. It is an easy ticket to write so they write lots of them. I think Arizona should pass a law requiring that they have tint on those two windows. Then when the cars from California come here we could write them a ticket for no tint. It sounds fair to me.

Al

scionofPCFL 07-23-2007 07:29 PM

Whoo hoo! Yeah Police State!!! If you aint hidding nothing, you got nothing to fear!!! Whoo hoo, please protect me from myself!!! Go Totalitarian, or go home!