Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Take a good look at your paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 07:38 AM
SL Member

Default Take a good look at your paint

A few days after I got my XB a friend pointed out something I didn't notice. The paint on the left side of my front bumper looked dull compared to the rest of the car. The gloss wasn't as shiny either. I took it to the dealer and I was told since it's such a new car and model that they would have to contact a rep from Toyota. They made an appointment and I just went today. I showed him the bumper and while inspecting it, he noticed that there was also a tiny spot that had dirt painted over. I really don't know howe he saw it so quick since this spot was right in the crevice under the headlight. Even the service rep was having a hard time seeing it. He immediately told them it has to be re-painted. So I left my car with them and they gave me a rental. They said it should only take two days, so hopefully that's true. You guys might wanna inspect your paint good and go to the dealer if you see anything. I believe the paint has a lifetime warranty.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

will do!
Old 08-10-2007, 11:47 AM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yeah, the paint quality of my xB isn't the greatest. Especially the rear passenger side corner of the bumper. The paint there feels ruffer and not as smooth as the rest of my paint when I am cleaning the car.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:34 AM
SL Member

What color is your car?
Old 08-11-2007, 01:59 AM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Mine is NBM
Old 08-11-2007, 03:42 AM
SL Member

same here.....NBM
Old 08-11-2007, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

My clear coat is cracking already..you guys might want to check for that also...
Old 08-11-2007, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Take a good look at your paint

Originally Posted by Linx
I believe the paint has a lifetime warranty.
Really? Where does it say that?
Old 08-12-2007, 08:26 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by rdclark
I believe the paint has a lifetime warranty.
Really? Where does it say that?
I'm pretty sure that's what I was told when the dealer was going over the warranty information with me. I will check it out to make sure. But I'm almost positive this is true
Old 08-12-2007, 09:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

no it's 36,000 miles from what the manager of the toyota/scion service manager told me
Old 08-12-2007, 12:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a Classic Silver xB2. I just got finished going over it with some Meguiars Quick Detailer, and the paint is in good shape - no bad spots found.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

ive been told there is a body shop @ port. traveling from overseas, there's bound to be an accident or incident.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:14 AM

A few days after I got my XB a friend pointed out something I didn't notice. The paint on the left side of my front bumper looked dull compared to the rest of the car. The gloss wasn't as shiny either. I took it to the dealer and I was told since it's such a new car and model that they would have to contact a rep from Toyota. They made an appointment and I just went today. I showed him the bumper and while inspecting it, he noticed that there was also a tiny spot that had dirt painted over.
It sounds like what happened was the paint on the bumper got scratched/damaged somewhere from the time the car left the factory to when it got to you. This happens sometimes on the cargo ship or when they transfer it from the boat to the dock etc.. and what the dealer will do most times is take it to a body shop and try to give it a quick paint-over fix. Most times you wouldn't even notice it... but maybe this time they didn't do such a great job and when they painted your bumper over they didn't clean it well (hence the trapped dirt particle) or even the way you noticed the paint looked different on one side of the bumper (they're supposed to paint the WHOLE thing, not just one side!) and the lack of a quality clearcoat (perhaps a rush job or just laziness). Yeah you should definitely make them fix it until you are satisfied. When I was waiting for my tC to come into the docks I was so worried about the same thing happening. It does happen sometimes and you can't help it but they can sure do something about how well they fix it. Make sure you're satisfied with the end result!
Old 08-13-2007, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i noticed that near the fender there is a part that looks like it was repainted.... sucks but i dont want them to try to fix it risk possibly making it worse
Old 08-13-2007, 06:15 PM

Glad to read all this. I am going to sign the papers this afternoon on my 2008 Scion xB (Super White). I am excited but worried that something is going to go wrong with it. LOL. Thanks for the info.

Kristi
Old 08-14-2007, 08:00 AM
SL Member

They fixed it and it came out looking great. They had the car for about 2 days and gave me a rental. Everything looks the way it should. I just want to know what kind of polish they used on the car cuz it came out SHIIIIINING. I'll probably get the name of the body shop the dealer used and find out what polish it was.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had incredible luck with teh McGuire's 3-step system. Theres a clear-coat cleaner, then a polish (which you wont need on a new paint job), and then a carnuba wax.

Theres also a synthetic McGuire's Wax Polish that claims to last a minimum of 6 months. My Dad swears by it
Old 08-14-2007, 10:19 AM

Linx you normally do not want to wax a freshly painted area for at least 2 weeks to give the paint time to fully cure.

The dealer may of done something to the rest of your car but I doubt they applied any wax or polish to the area they just painted.

Zlog the Meguiars was that you dad might be referring to is the NXT wax which I use and it is awesome stuff
Old 08-14-2007, 03:34 PM
SL Member

a couple of weeks after I got my car I polished it with that Turtle Wax Ice. It was cool but the only thing I didn't like about it is that it dries clear so it's really hard to see spots you missed. About a week later I washed the car and the chamois I used to dry it turned out that it had some kind of crap on it that got all over my car. Only way I could get it off was using a Meguiars minute wax. The car looks good but seems like once it gets dirty and I wash it again it doesn't shine as brite anymore...I don't know, maybe it's just me. But after I got it back from the repair it's shining like I've never seen any nbm shine before
Old 08-17-2007, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I think my Dealer uses Simoniz

Quick Reply: Take a good look at your paint