Is it time to trade in??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Is it time to trade in??

Need some suggestions...

I'm debating if its time to trade my gen 1 xB on a gen 2. Here is what I've come up with

Pro's of Trading in:
1. New car with no miles
2. More space in the newer xB 2
3. I'll be getting a new warranty.
4. I've kept all service recording for my xB which is nothing major. Just oil changes, tire rotation, new air filter, and new set of plugs.

Cons:
1. The newer models have bigger engines which supposedly get worse mileage. I have a stick right now and I'm doing about 35-36mpg on the highway. My sister bought a gen2 automatic, and with only 44 miles on her ODO, she is doing about 31-32mpg highway.
2. Starting over on financing.
3. I don't know if this is a rumor or not but, from what I heard, because of the low production number of the xB1, they may become collectors items. I dont know how much I really believe that.
4. I installed a CarPC in my xB1. I'd have to take it out and buy new dash pieces since the screen was fiberglassed in.

Here is where I'm at: the payoff on my xB1 is $8,223.91.. According to kbb.com, for the condition its in, trade in value is $9,770 without the CarPC/Navigation and $10,720 with the CarPC (if the dealership would want that left in)..

I'm thinking it may be time to trade in before my 50k mile mark.

Any opinions??
Old 08-13-2007, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, 4 votes for the xB1 on the xB2 forum. Thought it would be the other way

Can I have some opinions why?
Old 08-13-2007, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, i voted on the xb1 cuz in ur pros and cons, it seems like you lover ur xb1 and dont want to go through everything you had to go through AGAIN. dont get me wrong, im in love with the xb2, but in ur position id stick with the xb1
Old 08-13-2007, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ask yourself... "Do I need a new car, or do I just 'want' one?"

If your car runs fine, but you just want a new one, you'll have to pay the cost. Simple as that.

Since you still owe $8,000 on your car, you'll be lucky if they pay it off in trade. Don't expect the dealer to give you blue book value. Even if you sell it yourself, most of the money will be used to pay off the loan.

With that being the case, you'll be starting from scratch again. That means another down payment for the new car (if you don't want to be upside down). You'll be paying tax and license fees again too. If that's cool with you, go for it. Some people jump from one car loan to the next every few years and just make payments forever. I try to avoid that cycle.

I love new car smell, but I also love the fact that I no longer receive a bill every month from Toyota. My xB is paid in full.

-THE DON
Old 08-13-2007, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by THE_DON
Ask yourself... "Do I need a new car, or do I just 'want' one?"

If your car runs fine, but you just want a new one, you'll have to pay the cost. Simple as that.

Since you still owe $8,000 on your car, you'll be lucky if they pay it off in trade. Don't expect the dealer to give you blue book value. Even if you sell it yourself, most of the money will be used to pay off the loan.

With that being the case, you'll be starting from scratch again. That means another down payment for the new car (if you don't want to be upside down). You'll be paying tax and license fees again too. If that's cool with you, go for it. Some people jump from one car loan to the next every few years and just make payments forever. I try to avoid that cycle.

I love new car smell, but I also love the fact that I no longer receive a bill every month from Toyota. My xB is paid in full.

-THE DON
I see what you are saying and agree.. Financially, trading in is a stupid idea. I just wish the xB2 was released when I was first looking because it has many of the options I wish were on my xB1.

Admittedly, do I need it? No.. Do I want it? Yes.. Would the xB2 fit my transportation needs better? Yes..

But, then, I see that I only owe $8k and that, if I really wanted to, next month totally pay it off and not have another bill and that sounds very attractive also..
Old 08-13-2007, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ah the sameish questions I asked myself.

Took me 15 minutes to decide.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MikeMayer
Ah the sameish questions I asked myself.

Took me 15 minutes to decide.
Anything you miss from the xB1?
Old 08-13-2007, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Headroom, a little smaller so it could park and squeeze places better (but not much better).

Other than that... the only things I actually miss are sentimental.

I still get to drive the other xB at work frequently. The direct comparison.... the newer xB is a hell of a lot better in terms of being a car. More responsive, better steering (better turning radius I think)... etc.

Edit: Oh yeah

The new xB has much more substantial doors. No more... thwang when its closed.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Headroom, a little smaller so it could park and squeeze places better (but not much better).

Other than that... the only things I actually miss are sentimental.

I still get to drive the other xB at work frequently. The direct comparison.... the newer xB is a hell of a lot better in terms of being a car. More responsive, better steering (better turning radius I think)... etc.

Edit: Oh yeah

The new xB has much more substantial doors. No more... thwang when its closed.
One more question. Did you trade in your xB1 or sell it outright? If you traded it in, did you get close to the KBB.com amount?
Old 08-13-2007, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I traded it in. They apparently gave me more than the kbb value that I just looked up.

I feel better about trading mine in now.

I'd say mine fell into the Good kbb category with a couple of door dings and a bumper that had been repainted a couple times (never my fault).

They gave me $13700 for it.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I traded it in. They apparently gave me more than the kbb value that I just looked up.

I feel better about trading mine in now.

I'd say mine fell into the Good kbb category with a couple of door dings and a bumper that had been repainted a couple times (never my fault).

They gave me $13700 for it.
Wow... Makes me feel a bit better.. My car is in good condition also. Just one rock chip which just needs paint on it.. Its probably about 1/4in and has primer on it now so no rust. There is also a minor scratch on the side.. Couple other things that can be buffed out. Other than the normal wear/tear for the front of the xB1s, there is nothing wrong with mine..

Maybe I should wash/wax it up and take it in and see what they say..
Old 08-13-2007, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

see post #4
Old 08-14-2007, 09:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i want the new xb, and i'm getting it. I don't really need it. But i got the money, and money talks. lol.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:13 PM

Default To trade or not

I liked the comment, it is more of a car. That includes ride, power, but one of the things you may be concerned about (I was), safety. The new one includes side curtains and air bags, steel reinforcement in the doors. Braking seems better with disc brakes now in back, as well as in front. Safety alone was enough to help convince me. I had a 2004 xB and enjoyed it, but after driving the new one, I had to have it. It was fun to drive. Mine has the Blackberry Metallic paint that changes in every light. Great car. Other things enjoyed are more lighting in the interior and the outdoor temp/mpg/ etc. display. Good luck with your choice.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I Traded in my xB1 the end of July.
63k miles
Was broken into, Pass windows shattered,
Hit a deer, over $2000 of front end damage and re-paint etc.....
Had a nasty scratch on the back just to the left of the Rear window. I backed up into a dummies contractor truck with gutters etc hanging off the back, parked illegally etc...(in blind spot, saw the truck but not the stuff hanging out the back)
Another scuff on the right side of the rear bumper cover because someone parking next to me swung too close etc..

KBB in "GOOD" condition was $8700 and I think I got $8500 for it.
I also still owed $11k on it.
Stinks I pay more now, but I also actually have a real CAR i feel. (Basically a <$17k Camry is what it is)
PROS:
-Cruise Control is great --- 46 miles to work one way
-4 Wheel Disc Brakes I like having
-Air pressure sensors (Sounds stupid but it helped me today when I left for work)
-Safety - 6 airbags instead of 2 (Insurance wasn't cheaper though because of the car being Brand new, but usually thats still a better discount)
-SILLY - iPod/MP3 connector etc....
-MUCH more power! No more Civic sized Motor OMG!
-You won't be driving an ECHO any more

Cons:
-31mpg avg down from 33-38 w/ xB1 (I dont care though)
-Higher payment

All in all it only added $35 to my payment and I think $13/mo for insurance.

I Love the xB2 MUCH more.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

oh, that includes the 100k Premium Warranty also that i added....
Old 08-17-2007, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll keep my Gen1 thank you very much. I still love it for all the reasons I purchased it in the first place. The newer ones can't sway me enough to trade.

I bought a first year Miata (1990) because it was everything I wanted in a sports car. Over the years it evolved into something it was never intended to be in the first place. I kept it for 17 years until recently selling it to my lifetime friend. ONLY because being a 2 door it didn't work with having a new child.

I like the Gen 2, just no reason for ME to trade.

Peace out.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pay yours off next month. Wait six months, if you still have that itch, the first release might be out by then, and you might dig on the color.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:48 AM

Default Re: Is it time to trade in??

Trade It......more bang for the buck.....I have 2 car and said I wouldn't get an new one until they were both paid off.....2 years to go on my 05 xB ..... and I get a letter from 2 local dealers with a buy back promotion next Saturday .....I didn't wait, I went online to KKB and NADA for trade info ..... I thought if they pay mine off, I'm in.....there will and my payment is lower because I was upside on a trade when I bought my 05.....
Starting over on the financing is my 1 and only concern.

I bought my 05 Black Cherry xB in June of 2004 ..... it has a 2 inch crack in the front skirt (hit a big chuck of ice on the highway) ..... a couple of parking lot door dings just about the drivers side wheel ..... a couple of good scratches here and there ..... stock rims with new Goodride yes Goodride not Goodyear tires on front with the original almost wore tires on back ..... the rear skirt supports are all broke (they can't see that) and I have no service records at 42000 miles and they are give me $9,400 which is a lil more than I owe.

I will pick up my 08 Super White xB with.....
Spoiler
Fog Lights
Alarm w/ remote start
Overhead Compartment
16 optional Wheels
C-Pillar Storage

I might get the lighting kit......maybe
Old 11-13-2007, 05:51 AM

Default Re: Is it time to trade in??

I just saw your in Indy....I'm from NW Indiana....I stopped by Tom Wood Toyota when I was down there on Monday and they had a nice Black one with after market rims and grill

Quick Reply: Is it time to trade in??