Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Tire Pressure Monitor System

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:06 PM

Default Tire Pressure Monitor System

Does anyone know where to purchase OEM Tire pressure monitor system or one that works with the factory installed for the 2008 Scion xB? I need a Set of (4) for my winter tires. I called Toyota and they are asking $106.52 each ($426.08 for 4), which is way too much. If anyone has any information, please post. Thank You.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nope, not really going to find them for a decent price. either transfer the sensors tot he winter tires, or drive around durring winter with the (!) light on. also, even if you do get the sensors, i think you have to have the dealership program them to your car specifically anyway. pretty much a lose lose.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Tire Pressure Monitor System

Originally Posted by evopirate
Does anyone know where to purchase OEM Tire pressure monitor system or one that works with the factory installed for the 2008 Scion xB? I need a Set of (4) for my winter tires. I called Toyota and they are asking $106.52 each ($426.08 for 4), which is way too much. If anyone has any information, please post. Thank You.
Oh boy, my first post

Try tirerack.com. I was just on there looking at wheels, and on one of the pages that popped up was info on the pressure monitors. I think it said $370 for the set, but they also stated that you acn use the ones already there. If you buy new, it said there is a way to program to work with your car in the owner's manual book.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:36 PM

Thank You, I'll give it a look.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I heard... not proven yet........ but rummooored... that if you just take ONE. one from your original set... & put it on your spare tire..... as long as it's in the vehicle.... it will fool the computer & leave your warning light OFF!.. just a rumor though...... sounds logical though.... jh
Old 11-07-2007, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jimmbomb
I heard... not proven yet........ but rummooored... that if you just take ONE. one from your original set... & put it on your spare tire..... as long as it's in the vehicle.... it will fool the computer & leave your warning light OFF!.. just a rumor though...... sounds logical though.... jh
by that logic if all but one of the tires were underflated, the car would tell you everything is fine and dandy even though three of your tires are actually low. i'm pretty sure the car is aware that it has four tires to monitor, and if even one is missing or over or under inflated, it is supposed to tell you.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BUT........... it wont tell you which one, will it?? just the light comes on. YOU still have to go check them all to find the offending valve.......
Old 11-07-2007, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since the TPMS can tell when 1 of 4 tires is under-inflated, it makes sense that having only 1 sensor present would trigger the TPMS alert. IMO, you'd have to install 4 sensors in the spare tire or re-program the TPMS to work with only 1 sensor, if possible.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it won't tell you which one, but it will keep telling you that it is only receiving feedback from one sensor and not four, therefore it will continue to tell you something is wrong.

not really sure why this is a big deal. i mean, you'll have one indicator light on the dash board telling you that it isn't getting any TPMS information. so long as you check your tirs once a week, you'll be fine. guess the TPMS in my tc using the wheel speed sensor spoils me since i don't have to ever worry about transfering sensors.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All these opinions are valid... I'd like someone to 'prove it out' some time.... Not me though!!1 LOL.... I aint gonna touch em!!... jh
Old 11-07-2007, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol, one time my TPMS light went off, checked all my tires, they were all fine, i was at the dealership doing this, and they told me to check the spare, it could be the spare that is setting off the warning light. i laughed at them, explaining how it runs on the abs wheel speed sensor, not a separate pressure sensor in the valve stem of the tires.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:44 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

okay...

here's the deal.. the car monitors ALL the sensors at once including the spare and will trip the light if any are low.

if you get new sensors.. it's a waste of money and regardless there is NO WAY that you can reprogram the car's ecu to accept the new sensors.

it requires a special Toyota scantool that is very expensive, and i doubt anyone outside of a dealership would own one.

heh.. even some dealerships i know have to borrow one from another dealership sometimes.

so as stated... it's a lose lose..

you need to transfer the sensors over... it's the best course of action... unless you want to drive with that light on.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So even the spare has one? Crap!
Old 11-09-2007, 05:28 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

actually... now that i think about it, i'm not so sure if the spare has one... i know alot of other toyota's do... but i'm unsure for the xB in particular..

you got me doubting myself.... oyyy..
i gotta check tomorrow...
Old 11-09-2007, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
lol, one time my TPMS light went off, checked all my tires, they were all fine, i was at the dealership doing this, and they told me to check the spare, it could be the spare that is setting off the warning light. i laughed at them, explaining how it runs on the abs wheel speed sensor, not a separate pressure sensor in the valve stem of the tires.
The XB 2 gen has a direct TPMS, which entails a sensor in each wheel (minus the spare) that provides a value to the TPMS ecu indicating the pressure in the tire. The XB 2 gen monitors only four tires. There is NOT a sensor on the spare for these cars.

The dealer has to program the tire pressure sensors if they are replaced or if one is damaged. There is a serial number on the sensor itself and that is the number that is programmed into the TPMS ecu.

The dealer has a special 6000.00 scan tool that does this.

You cannot use aftermarket tire pressure sensors on the Toyota system, there is no way to program these into the TPMS ecu.

For any and all people who want to run aftermarket whatever, have whoever installs your custom wheels to place all the sensors into the spare tire, all will indicate the same pressure doing this. This works, I have personally done this.

And for any and all people with a TPMS, check your tire pressure befor bringing it to the dealer and wasting everyones including your own time because you cannot check your own tire pressure. There is a preset threshold for the sensors, it is roughly 28 psi.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I spoke with a sales rep. at wheelsnext.com who said the can sell OEM sensors with a wheel/tire combo. What he didn't know is how they would be programmed to the vehicle. But I believe the cost was $85(he said it was his cost from toyota)
Old 11-18-2007, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by jimmbomb
I work for lexus.. and lexus is like toyota.. since they are on the other half of our shop..No this will not work.. u need 4 tire pressure sensors.. almost all lexus' have 5 of these..1 in the spare too..

If anything.. if someone is looking for 4 direct tire pressure senors for sale.. i have 4 of them for sale $200 and there urs.. if anyone is needing some contact me
Old 11-18-2007, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart
okay...

here's the deal.. the car monitors ALL the sensors at once including the spare and will trip the light if any are low.

if you get new sensors.. it's a waste of money and regardless there is NO WAY that you can reprogram the car's ecu to accept the new sensors.

it requires a special Toyota scantool that is very expensive, and i doubt anyone outside of a dealership would own one.

heh.. even some dealerships i know have to borrow one from another dealership sometimes.

so as stated... it's a lose lose..

you need to transfer the sensors over... it's the best course of action... unless you want to drive with that light on.
If you take the 4 sensors in with you and either have them mount them in the tires.. or u can have them mounted urself..just write down the numbers on the back of each one.. i think its an 7 or 8 didget alpha numeraical code and write them all down before u do anything with them.. without that code the toyota dealership will have to break down each tire to get the number.. costin u double ur money if u have the numbers all ready for them they can program it is...

and BTW every toyota dealership has at least one techstream.. hell we have 7 of them..unless this dealership is in the corner of a hole..i wouldn't go to them..nor would i trust them
Old 11-18-2007, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

you can take of the current sensors. no need to buy new one's just don't forget to take them off again when you put on the other tires.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

this is very true.. but u can save some time and money.. and put a 2nd set in ur second set of wheels.. its alot easier

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitor System