Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Towing

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member

Default Towing

im looking into getting a hitch for my 08 xb so i can tow my jetski. does anyone know how much this thing can pull. I heard it can do up to 2000lbs. I belive it could.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont think they've been recommended to tow anything. although there has been discussion here about how much it can tow.
there is also a thread in the aero/ext. section of someone who just installed a hitch.....
jimmbomb also has one for bikes
Old 03-18-2008, 02:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The manual says do not tow but I have a Curt hitch on mine and use it to tow my 5X8' utility trailer with my ATV. I would guess that the whole set-up including tools and chemicals weights about 1000lbs. I have had no problem at all towing.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well you have to realize that the manual says not to tow. toyota basically has said that if you mess up the rear end by towing, you have to pocket the damages.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Better for them to say no towing and not be liable for somthing you mess up towing, Also most people in the market for a xB werent looking for somthing that could tow, nevertheless the xB can tow and accomodates a hitch quite well, but technicall your not suppose to.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you f*** anything up towing, remove the hitch, and take it in for warranty repair. I used to work for Acura, and we had plenty of warranty repairs that should have been denied that we took care of. It's called "customer service", you never accuse a customer of bullsh1t1ng, even if they did.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It pulls just fine.
my ski is 1000 lbs. But i did choose the manual trans cause i knew i would be towing and i didnt want to fry an auto.

My hitch was a direct bolt on i found online.

I have at least 3000 of my 13k miles with my ski behind the XB.

But no one makes a plug ad play wiring kit yet for it...
Old 03-19-2008, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member

very nice ski. ive got a 97 sea doo xp and that weighs 795 lb and trailer about 600 so a little under 1400 lbs. i will use the sequential shift when towing.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:48 AM
5 Year Member

John08xb,

Can you kindly share your source for the hitch, please?

Thanks!

Safetyguy
Old 04-26-2008, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought from this Ebay store..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-C...QQcmdZViewItem

dont get the wiring harness thinking it is plug and play though..its not.. no T-connector is available for the XB2 yet.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
If you f*** anything up towing, remove the hitch, and take it in for warranty repair. I used to work for Acura, and we had plenty of warranty repairs that should have been denied that we took care of. It's called "customer service", you never accuse a customer of bullsh1t1ng, even if they did.
Actually, it's called "warranty fraud." Hey, if this is how you're going to fix it, you could always back into someone at a stoplight and claim they rearended you!

I think it's pretty irresponsible to tell people that Scion is going to roll over and replace their blown transmission as long as they try to cover up the fact that they were doing something they never should have tried in the first place.

I'm all for screwing the dealer (let's face it, they've screwed US at every opportunity), but this still seems like a long shot. A six-hole pattern in the rear chassis is a pretty dead giveaway...maybe your service manager just didn't like confrontation.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZOMGXB
I think it's pretty irresponsible to tell people that Scion is going to roll over and replace their blown transmission as long as they try to cover up the fact that they were doing something they never should have tried in the first place.
You're right, it was irresponsible for me to suggest that anybody commit fraud. If anybody tries that they do it on their own. If you tell a service writer that "some guy on ScionLife told me to do this" you will most certainly get no help, and Scion may void your entire warranty for attempting the fraudulent claim (remember, everything is linked within the computer system). I was just pointing out that it happens, and people get away with it. I do not recommend breaking the law.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Originally Posted by ZOMGXB
You're right, it was irresponsible for me to suggest that anybody commit fraud. If anybody tries that they do it on their own. If you tell a service writer that "some guy on ScionLife told me to do this" you will most certainly get no help, and Scion may void your entire warranty for attempting the fraudulent claim (remember, everything is linked within the computer system). I was just pointing out that it happens, and people get away with it. I do not recommend breaking the law.
Your in big trouble mister! LOL
Old 07-07-2008, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not guilty by reason of insanity.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I posted this on another thread but it goes here to. saw it across the street from where i work.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the boats bigger....
Old 07-08-2008, 01:52 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I thought the manual said "Towing not recommended" not "Do not tow with the xb2"? Wouldn't that mean you still could because it doesn't flat out tell you not to?
Old 07-08-2008, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I couldn't tow anything like that around here. Too many mountains.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:00 PM

i tow dj equipment with a 4x8 utility trailer and do not have any problems. my xb is an auto, and i try to keep it around 40/45 mph. i am going to be buying a small Yuppie wagon (4x7 enclosed plastic trailer).

heres a question: towing with an auto XB, does the tranny go bad because of overheating or does it go bad because of the tranny cant handle the weight?

ifs it because of heating, im thinking about getting a temp gauge installed on the tranny so i can keep a close eye on it.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is my XB with my trailer and ATV. I have towed up to 350 miles non-stop with no problem at all.

Quick Reply: Towing