Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

The Truth About Cars - xB road test

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bigfieroman
The reviewer seems to have been a huge fan of the first xB, considering his glowing praise for it. What faults did he say it had…no CC and airbags? Everything else was great on the first gen? For real?
Yes! The gen 1 was an instant classic and created the buzz for Scion that it has today. Even Toyota expected the xA to crush the xB in sales. Wrong. People loved it and sold like hotcakes.

You keep harping on the "haters" when you're the one who sounds more and more like a gen 1 hater.

Go buy your xB2 already and enjoy it. But respect your elders and carry on tradition. If it wasn't for the overwhelming success of the xB1 there would be no new box for you to praise so much. People like me who purchased it back in 2003, despite all of the flaws you see in it, are the ones who made the Scion "box" popular.

-THE DON
Old 05-14-2007, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
sure not everyone will like it
which is exactly what you can say about the 08.

what I don't get, is what happened to the love fest from the T2B show car? The design cues are all identical.
i would rather have the chinese car with the updated bumpers. even if they cut the xB2 off right infront of the thick c-pillar i might be interested.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bigfieroman
I have to hand it to you few remaining haters.
Someone hasn't been paying very close attention. Seems like more to me, but maybe they're just louder.

I happen to like the new ones, if only because my sister-in-law just got rear-ended by a Suburban in HER xB, and I'm trying to face the very real possibility that I might HAVE to purchase a B2 when some retarded soccer mom plows a minivan into my cLassic.

However...

Find me a SINGLE postive review of the B2 that doesn't also slam the cLassic. Call me crazy, but if some **** starts hating on the stuff I like most about the car, that's probably NOT the best person to tell me whether or not I'll like the new one. Maybe the rest of Camry-driving America gives a crap about that reviewer's opinion, but if you haven't noticed, we're a little different here.

The only positive review I've ever seen celebrated the removal of the "moronic dash-mounted instrument cluster." THAT 'MORONIC' INSTRUMENT CLUSTER IS THE REASON I BOUGHT THE CAR. So are you really surprised that people are disregarding "positive" reviews?

TTAC has never missed the mark in a car review, as long as I've been paying attention. Other "reviewers" seem like they're soliciting advertising or trying to sell cars - my favorite was the one what described the Jeep Patriot as a "capable off-road vehicle." TTAC is the only site I've ever seen that discusses what *I* would discuss if I was telling a friend about the car - here's what I really like, here's what ____es me off.

This is the first review I've ever seen from someone who also appears to have liked the original, sooo..yeah, that gets some credit.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's funny how some people act as if the xB1 flopped or was some kind of horrible car and these drastic changes were BADLY needed... I don't understand that part.

If it was such a gutless, tiny, tin can POS, why did they fly off dealer lots?

I agree, a slight facelift, new saftey features, and a 1.8 would have made the '08 perfect.

But once again, this is not a "redesigned xB", this is an all new, tC based wagon. The xB badge is simply an attempt to capitalize on the popularity of the gen 1. Case closed.

-THE DON
Old 05-14-2007, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZOMGXB
Find me a SINGLE postive review of the B2 that doesn't also slam the cLassic. Call me crazy, but if some **** starts hating on the stuff I like most about the car, that's probably NOT the best person to tell me whether or not I'll like the new one. Maybe the rest of Camry-driving America gives a crap about that reviewer's opinion, but if you haven't noticed, we're a little different here.

The only positive review I've ever seen celebrated the removal of the "moronic dash-mounted instrument cluster." THAT 'MORONIC' INSTRUMENT CLUSTER IS THE REASON I BOUGHT THE CAR. So are you really surprised that people are disregarding "positive" reviews?

TTAC has never missed the mark in a car review, as long as I've been paying attention. Other "reviewers" seem like they're soliciting advertising or trying to sell cars - my favorite was the one what described the Jeep Patriot as a "capable off-road vehicle." TTAC is the only site I've ever seen that discusses what *I* would discuss if I was telling a friend about the car - here's what I really like, here's what ____es me off.

This is the first review I've ever seen from someone who also appears to have liked the original, sooo..yeah, that gets some credit.
I totally agree.

-THE DON
Old 05-14-2007, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

my favorite TTAC momment was when Lexus (or was it BMW) banned them from using there press fleet because they called the grill on the Subaru Tribeca "the flying vagina"
Old 05-14-2007, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hope you guys don't bash xB2 owners. Bash the car you want but not the drivers and owners. I'm waiting for EPA air pollution results. The xB1 pumps out more smog pollution than my V8 4Runner!
Old 05-14-2007, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xB1 pumps out more smog pollution than my V8 4Runner!
where did you get this "info"?
Old 05-14-2007, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

i dont belive that for a second...the xB is more efficant car per mile out there.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xB1 pumps out more smog pollution than my V8 4Runner!
where did you get this "info"?
Go to Fueleconomy.gov and compare the 2006 xB and the 2006 4Runner V8 4WD. xB1 is LEV in California while the 4Runner is ULEVII in the same state. I also did a comparison between the xB1 and 4Runner on Edmunds.com.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by YourNameHere
i dont belive that for a second...the xB is more efficant car per mile out there.
Fuel efficiency and air pollution ratings are too different things. The Yaris LB, which uses the same engine is classified as ULEVII in California.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

and all around Efficency is a totaly diff thing...ie: fuel + maintaince + cost of the car ect...there is arating of cost per mile...ill go find it
Old 05-14-2007, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Uhm, yeah I see what you were talking about, but there's still the slight difference in greenhouse emmisions, and what I mean by "slight", is twice as many in the 4runner.

BTW, for the record, the new B is a ULEVII vehicle.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

06 Scion xB
11 Barrels of Petroleum a year
5.9 Tons of Greenhouse gases

06 V8 4Runner
20.1 Barrels of Petroleum a year
10.6 Tons of Greenhouse gases

07 Porsche Turbo
17.1Barrels of Petroleum a year
9.1Tons of Greenhouse gases

some food for thought
Old 05-14-2007, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

TTAC reviews have always been like this.

I have read one or two that were good, but those were for a special breed of car.

I take they're reviews with a grain of salt. I like the new xB more than the old one. And I'm not "really" buying it for it's uniqueness. I want it because it is going to make for a decent people/crap carrier.

The good thing about this being more "baby boomer" friendly is that resale will remain great.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

The only time I see people disagree with a TTCA review is when they own the car. Mostly because TTAC doesn’t sugarcoat things and almost every other magazine/website does. I have a hard time reading an xB2 review on Edmunds that has a Toyota ad running on the side. The reviews on TTAC are honest opinions that are not spoiled or influenced by advertiser’s money (IE: Ford Hiring Road & Track to do a comparo…who did you REALLY think was going to get the stamp of approval, and you didn’t hear ANY negative comments about the Ford did you?)

The xB has gained 650 pounds, a foot in length, and three inches in width.
-TRUE

EPA numbers are down almost 25 percent for the city cycle (’06 adjusted), from 28 to 22 mpg.-TRUE

The throne-like seating position has lost four inches of leg room. Headroom has also diminished. Ditto the back seat,-TRUE

Where the old thrones were nicely bolstered and contoured, with a nubby textural two-tone fabric, the new ones are molded blobs covered in a dreary monolithic black fabric.
-TRUE

The xB’s superb view– favored by many of its elderly patrons– has been cruelly reduced.-TRUE

The new XB is faster, but the fun (and challenge) is gone. The new-found heft and softer ride takes XB handling from MINI territory right to into Camry Land.-While it might not handle as well its deff FUN to toss around…a larger, softer car wouldn’t be

Though i do agree the interior has some nicer materials on the dash and i like the overhead storage

im not really sure what there is to argue about…obviously YOU liked the car which is why you bought one…so just enjoy it for what it is. i posted this review as an alternative to the normal sugarcaoted, car company ___ kissing reviews you read everywhere.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by YourNameHere
The only time I see people disagree with a TTCA review is when they own the car. Mostly because TTAC doesn’t sugarcoat things and almost every other magazine/website does. I have a hard time reading an xB2 review on Edmunds that has a Toyota ad running on the side. The reviews on TTAC are honest opinions that are not spoiled or influenced by advertiser’s money (IE: Ford Hiring Road & Track to do a comparo…who did you REALLY think was going to get the stamp of approval, and you didn’t hear ANY negative comments about the Ford did you?)

The xB has gained 650 pounds, a foot in length, and three inches in width.
-TRUE

EPA numbers are down almost 25 percent for the city cycle (’06 adjusted), from 28 to 22 mpg.-TRUE Actually, FALSE.

The throne-like seating position has lost four inches of leg room. Headroom has also diminished. Ditto the back seat,-TRUE These numbers are up for debate, as most people have not experienced such a huge difference in space. Could be TRUE.

Where the old thrones were nicely bolstered and contoured, with a nubby textural two-tone fabric, the new ones are molded blobs covered in a dreary monolithic black fabric.
-TRUE Umm, no. I have ridden in both, and I found the new seats to be vastly more comfortable and expensive-looking guess it is an opinion thing.

The xB’s superb view– favored by many of its elderly patrons– has been cruelly reduced.-TRUE I agree.

The new XB is faster, but the fun (and challenge) is gone. The new-found heft and softer ride takes XB handling from MINI territory right to into Camry Land.-While it might not handle as well its deff FUN to toss around…a larger, softer car wouldn’t be

Though i do agree the interior has some nicer materials on the dash and i like the overhead storage

im not really sure what there is to argue about…obviously YOU liked the car which is why you bought one…so just enjoy it for what it is. i posted this review as an alternative to the normal sugarcaoted, car company butt kissing reviews you read everywhere.
I do not believe that EVERY OTHER REVIEW is biased. Not for a single second. The domestic manufacturers advertise in the magazines like R&T, C&D and Motor Trend WAY MORE than Japanese or German companies, but the American cars generally get their butts handed to them in most tests. What is the last time you have seen a BMW ad in a mag? How often do they lose in comparisons? They advertise ***** enlargers and snake oil in the back too, but you don't see editors popping Enzyte and sporting huge erections while testing the cars.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

-TRUE
I find the new driver seat much more comfortable than the xB1.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well, I'm sad to see the xB1 go for different reasons than most. I bought the xB1 specifically because of the large interior space and ceiling height. It was modified to accomidate a motorized wheelchair, where the passenger could sit upright in the chair in the back. With the redesign, this will not be possible, and disabled people looking for a fresh ride with good MPG and an AFFORDABLE price will be out of luck. (Funny thing, this company also mod's PT Cruizers for manual wheelchairs, guess they now have a second vehicle for that) I'm not sure what the company I purchased this from, or the Braun corporation, will be doing as they put in substantial development dollars to mod this on a large scale, only to have their donor vehicle dry up without a replacement. Well, they do still have an Element for motorized chairs, just hope my box doesn't need replacement.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

-TRUE
I find the new driver seat much more comfortable than the xB1.
the quote talks about looks...comfort is kind of subjective

Quick Reply: The Truth About Cars - xB road test