Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

why does the 2nd gen have such a big engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default why does the 2nd gen have such a big engine?

i think the xb should have such a big engine what do u think?
to be honest i bought my TC (last week) with out even knowing the engine size and i wish it had a slightly smaller engine. something similar to the RSX.
back to my point dont most ppl buy xa's and xb's for gas milage?

what engine size is the xd?
Old 05-16-2007, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

that is the reason that most people bought the xa & xb but all the owners were complaning that the car did not have enought power..and scion listened to the owners and gave us what we wanted
Old 05-16-2007, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: why does the 2nd gen have such a big engine?

Originally Posted by tvdang7
i think the xb should have such a big engine what do u think?
to be honest i bought my TC (last week) with out even knowing the engine size and i wish it had a slightly smaller engine. something similar to the RSX.
back to my point dont most ppl buy xa's and xb's for gas milage?

what engine size is the xd?
The main reason why the new xB has a bigger engine is the fact that Americans are addicted to power.

Another reason is that Toyota has the manufacturing of this engine refined to where it takes no time to build, and is cheaper. This is why it is used in the xB, tC, Camry and a lot of other cars. The only problem is that it eats gas.

The RSX motor would not have the torque to move the tC fast enough. The K20 is a high revving monster, but Toyota didn't do so well with they're version (2zz - Celica GTS, Corolla/Matrix XRS, Lotus Elise). Plus the cost of the K20 would push the low price of the tC into the $20's.

The xD will get the 1.8l 1ZZ just like the base Corolla/Matrix have. This IMHO is a great engine for this car. It will provide ample power with excellent fuel economy.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Pick your answer:

1) So it could better compete with American cars that get less than 30 MPG
2) Toyota became #1 in sales thus inheriting GM's Myopic view of the Universe
3) Toyota would only listen to their target audience of 20 year olds who think bigger is better
4) Toyota actually owns Mobil and BP and actually will enjoy $4.00 gas
5) All of the above

You decide!!
Old 05-16-2007, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

really? i didnt know they owned mobil lol. but i think it should be an option for the bigger engine. no offense but if you want an xb you should really be "racing" not saying you cant but thats what the TC is for. i guess im just venting that my engine eats gas i moved from a 99 camry and my gas consumption is the same now. owell i love my scion how about that
Old 05-16-2007, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Is it wrong to want a bigger engine? I mean bigger than the 2.4l. I want the camry's or sienna's 3.3l. I don't care about gas milage, I want that pulled back into your seat feeling with kind of a sleeper look.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Who cares about the engine size itself? It is power and economy that matter.

Let's see....

50% more power and torque moving 25% more weight with less than an 11% drop in economy. Yeah, it certainly "drinks" the gas all right
Old 05-17-2007, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: why does the 2nd gen have such a big engine?

i think the xb should have such a big engine what do u think? to be honest i bought my TC (last week) with out even knowing the engine size and i wish it had a slightly smaller engine.
You're complaining that a 2.4 liter is TOO BIG???
My philosophy is if there is ANY spare room at all in the engine compartment, the engine is too small!
Some favorite examples...
Chevy S-10 w/ 4.3 liter V6
Chevy Cavalier w/ 3.1 liter V6
1975 Chevy Monza w/ 5.7 liter V8 YES!

Seriously though, I think the 2.4 is the perfect choice for the 08 xB.
Look at the cars that have this size motor:
4-cyl Camry - 3300 lbs
4-cyl RAV4 - 3300 - 3500 lbs
4-cyl Highlander - 3500 - 3750 lbs

The 08 xB is 3000 lbs. It's perfect! It's the best application of this motor yet!
Old 05-17-2007, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well its like they are pushing us into a corner to use more gas.

pretty rough coming from 30+ mpg to 23ish.
Think of the children!!! j/k
Old 05-17-2007, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

or not
Check the posts of actual owners. Reports of 27-28 mpg or so in mixed driving are posted.

This whole bogus gas numbers thing reminds me of a funny story.

Where I work, many years ago (about 1980), a guy named Tom bought a brand new Dodge Omni. He could not stop talking about it from the day he got it. After a few days of this, finally fed up, some of his more industrious coworkers decided to have some fun.

Every day for several weeks, they added a little gas to the Omni. Tom bragged every day about getting over 40 miles per gallon in his Omni.

Then one day, his coworkers started siphoning a little gas out of the Omni every day. After a few weeks of this, Tom went to the dealer complaining something must be wrong with the car since he went from getting 40+ mpg to about 15mpg.

Eventually they told him, and he never talked about his car at work again.

True Story.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:06 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

^^

well.. to add on to the xD discussion in here..

here's another thing.... it has BOTH more power AND better gas milage with it's 1.8L DUAL-VVTI setup.

so as far as the xD... it's a big winner for gas mileage vice any of its predecessors.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well its like they are pushing us into a corner to use more gas.

Think of the children!!! j/k
Who's pushing. If you don't like the numbers on the sticker, go get a Corolla. No one is pushing anyone.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:29 PM

It's the first time I have heard anyone complain about a car getting a bigger and stronger engine. I haven't caculated it but its probably more efficient than the 1.5 comparing power to mpg. I think Toyota didn't put the 1.8 in the Xb because the heavier the vehicle, the more torque it needs to be efficient. If you put a smaller engine in a heavy vehicle, it will need to rev more (wasting more fuel). Just compare the milleage of the Xb1 and the toyota Echo, same engine, way different mpg. When I owned the Echo I got around 43mpg better than the Prius I replaced it with.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by V8Goat
It's the first time I have heard anyone complain about a car getting a bigger and stronger engine. I haven't caculated it but its probably more efficient than the 1.5 comparing power to mpg. I think Toyota didn't put the 1.8 in the Xb because the heavier the vehicle, the more torque it needs to be efficient. If you put a smaller engine in a heavy vehicle, it will need to rev more (wasting more fuel). Just compare the milleage of the Xb1 and the toyota Echo, same engine, way different mpg. When I owned the Echo I got around 43mpg better than the Prius I replaced it with.

The 1ZZ would have been horrible in this. It's not that great of an engine, and is pretty old. It would have been perfect in the xB1, the power to weight ration would have just been right. But that 1.5l was just fun to thrash around.

Like I've said before, look at the mileage of similar vehicles, specifically the PT and the Element.

The PT gets 22/29, the Element gets 22/27. Both have similar horsepower ratings (the PT is rated at 150).

The PT Cruiser has 98.8cu ft of passenger space, with 21.2ft of cargo space. The Element has 103 ft of passenger space and 25.1 of Cargo. Whereas the xB has roughly 100ft of passenger space and 22 ft of cargo.

Just looking at the numbers, I would not say that this engine is too big, or the mileage too low.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by techgeekwill
Originally Posted by V8Goat

The 1ZZ would have been horrible in this. It's not that great of an engine, and is pretty old. It would have been perfect in the xB1, the power to weight ration would have just been right. But that 1.5l was just fun to thrash around.

Like I've said before, look at the mileage of similar vehicles, specifically the PT and the Element.

The PT gets 22/29, the Element gets 22/27. Both have similar horsepower ratings (the PT is rated at 150).

The PT Cruiser has 98.8cu ft of passenger space, with 21.2ft of cargo space. The Element has 103 ft of passenger space and 25.1 of Cargo. Whereas the xB has roughly 100ft of passenger space and 22 ft of cargo.

Just looking at the numbers, I would not say that this engine is too big, or the mileage too low.
Those numbers you quoted are 2007 numbers. Converted to the scale the 2008 xB is rated on, they are considerably lower.

The PT goes from 22/29 to 19/27.
The element (2wd 5spd auto) goes from 22/27 to 19/25. (4wd or manual tranny is worse.
2008 xB is 22/28.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Yo...

Here's another good example of putting the right size engine in a vehicle...

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/18/e...-w-srt-8-hemi/
Old 05-21-2007, 07:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i also think that 1.8l would be enough for the 08xB... or may its just me.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think it's an issue of American's being "addicted to power" or that every American Scion owner wants the feeling of driving a race car ... it's about the "perception" of safety that comes with speed.

That might sound stupid at first ... but hear me out.

I drive in a reasonably large American city (Cincinnati) where the average posted speed limit on the highway is 65mph and the typical driver in our area drives an "average" of 10 mph over the speed limit. That's 75mph on AVERAGE. Although typical following distance should be one car length per 10mph (meaning every car on the highway should have 7.5 car lengths of open space in front of and behind them for safety) most cars on the highways around Cincinnati are lucky if they have more than one car length in front or behind them.

What am I getting at? When you're driving in unsafe situations at high speeds sometimes you "feel" safer driving a car that can quickly merge with traffic or give you enough power to quickly pass a crazy person on the highway. You might not actually be any safer, but I'm talking about the "perception" of safety.

I love my friend's 2006 xB ... I absolutely love it. However, I "feel" uncomfortable riding in his xB when we drive on the highway because he doesn't have the power to go from 25mph to 80mph in a couple of seconds to merge onto the highway. Likewise, if there is an unsafe driver nearby on the highway he usually just steps on the brake to put more distance between him and the other driver ... he doesn't have the power to quickly pass when we're already driving at 75mph.

Does that make my friend any less safe on the road? Probably not. But I "feel" less safe in his xB because we're surrounded by fast moving vehicles and it takes his xB a little while to get up to speed.

I'm sure if you asked a bunch of Scion salesmen what the top 3 reasons were that people did NOT buy a xA or xB after a test drive the salesmen would have said that the weaker engine was somewhere in the top 3.

I'm not looking to street race or break a land speed record, but I want to have the feeling that my car has the ability to do what I want (or need) it to do in an emergency.

I think that's why Toyota/Scion put the larger engine in the 08 xB ... plus the larger/heavier body. Toyota/Scion wants American buyers to associate the Scion brand with "safety" even if that isn't the first concern on a Scion buyer's mind.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Bigger xB+old engine=less hp
Bigger xB+larger engine=more HP

I have only been getting 28-29MPG for the last 10 months, so what would I lose by going to the new xB anyway....oh yeah, I forgot that I don't like the way it looks.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bigfieroman
Those numbers you quoted are 2007 numbers. Converted to the scale the 2008 xB is rated on, they are considerably lower.

The PT goes from 22/29 to 19/27.
The element (2wd 5spd auto) goes from 22/27 to 19/25. (4wd or manual tranny is worse.
2008 xB is 22/28.

I grabbed them from the Manufacturers sites. Too lazy to dig through the EPA page.

Originally Posted by sa_yon
i also think that 1.8l would be enough for the 08xB... or may its just me.
Are you kidding. This engine is anemic. There is no Torque. Even when it was modified for the Celica GT it was horrible. I used to have to wait in my driveway for a huge gap in traffic before I would dare to get on the road. It was that bad. There would be no way that engine could move this car the same way as 2AZ.

As far as mileage, We picked ours up on friday. Over 200 miles later with mixed city/hwy driving, the average so far is 28mpg. That may change once it is broken in, but that is a very respectable number.

Quick Reply: why does the 2nd gen have such a big engine?