Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Will a tow hitch install with dual exhausts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Will a tow hitch install with dual exhausts?

I have a dual Tsudo exhaust and the hangers attach to the top side of the rear frame rails via the OE bolts (two originally anchored the OE exhaust on the right and the other two the tow hook on the left).

I'm thinking about getting a Curt Class II hitch and am wondering if anyone knows whether hitch installation is compatible with the exhaust. Anybody?

PS. In case it helps, this photo gives some idea of how the underside looks with the exhaust installed.

Name:  TsudoExhaustInstalled3.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  53.5 KB
Old 10-10-2009, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if the left side would clear the tow hook, maybe. but since you don't have it on there???
Old 10-11-2009, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm -- yes, the instructions had me remove it. So I guess I need to take a look underneath and see if the resonators hang partially under the frame members. But then the resonators could also be in the way of the cross bar.

I think all the photos I've seen so far of cars with hitches had the OE exhaust -- definitely none were duals.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but the resonator on the right, in the stock location would clear. the real issue would be the mount. here's the left side of mine installed. what brand dual do you have? i've thought about how the hitch would efffect the duals as well as the 5-axis body kit.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Both resonators are hung in the same fashion, so if there's a clearance issue on one side, it'll be on the other as well. I'm suspecting the OE muffler mounting is a little more outboard than mine.

The exhaust is the Tsudo dual fireball. I just took a couple photos showing the hangers. I measure aprox 1" of hanger bushing extending inside the frame rail on both sides.

Name:  XBexhaustHangerRt.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  58.1 KB
Old 10-11-2009, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looking at your photo and mine, I'm thinking the hitch bolt mounting plates would have to extend inward about another 1-1/2" to safely clear the exhaust assembly before bending down to meet the hitch crossbar. In which case, the crossbar would have to be shortened by 1-1/2" on each side. Then the exhaust hanger bushings would mount directly under the hitch mounting plates.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

or.....put a spacer at the connection for the left side right after the Y-pipe. and swap the bushings left to right. would be simpler than modding the hitch?
Name:  TsudoExhaustInstalled3.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  53.5 KB
Old 10-12-2009, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, you're suggesting shoving the right pipe outward three to four inches to allow flipping the bushing (plus the crossover extension, of course). Wonder how much it could be shifted in that direction if all the bolts were loosened? Interesting idea, but I suspect the available bolt slack is less than half that, but there is that spring coupling behind the scuba and it's a fairly long radius arm. It could put a bit of a twist in both rear exits, but certainly interesting. Wonder if there are purchaseable extensions around -- or if that would be a welding shop job.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

an exhaust shop could spread the last bend before the resonators. but then the resonators wouldn't be parallel, and point outward.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kidd
an exhaust shop could spread the last bend before the resonators. but then the resonators wouldn't be parallel, and point outward.
I personally wouldn't be willing to do that. But installing a spacer would be OK.

Uh, oh -- just measured the distance between the center of the bushing mounting bolt and the hanger -- 1-1/2" inches. To flip the bushing would require the resonator shift outward 3". If I measure out from the resonator, that's enough to start interfering with the rear fascia (and it also wouldn't look right). To make this work, I think a different bushing bracket would be needed, one where the mounting bolt and the hanger are aprox vertically aligned. Or else, additional flat brackets would be needed to allow the bushings to outward offset by 1-1/2". That plus a 3" crosspipe extension would probably work.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just read a post where Speed-Element is saying the Tsudo Dual is being re-released for 5-Axis compatibility in a couple months. I'm curious as to what's been changed and whether it would help with hitch installation.