xB2 Vs. xB1

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Default xB2 Vs. xB1

so i know you have probably heard that not alot of xB drivers like the xB2...so my question to all of you xB2 drivers is...what do you think about the xB1, what do you like more about yours, what do you not like about it etc...
Old 08-25-2007, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: xB2 Vs. xB1

I think xB1 looks great, and by reputation I understand it's a great car that a lot of its owners are very enthusiastic about. But in all honestly, as an xB2 owner I don't go around making comparisons with xB1. After all, it's not like it's still in production and available as a new car.

Are you resurrecting this old topic because you are unhappy with your xB1 and thinking of switching to xB2? If so, specifically what are you not happy about your xB1? Perhaps xB2 _may_ be better for you in those particular areas.

If you are very happy about your xB1 with no complaints, I would just love it and stop worrying about comparing it with xB2....

Just my two cents.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^x 2
Old 08-25-2007, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, Thom summed it up good....the new xB is more of a highway cruiser, not a city car.
Personally, I have to drive 50 miles every day to be in the nearest "City"......80 MPH @4K rpm hurts my MPG.....Does that mean I made a bad choice, NAH.

The big question his is will the xB2 be remembered? I doubt it. It capitalized on what was good in the xB1 and grew to US size.....it's an afterthought.....
Old 08-25-2007, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

i love my xB 1 and would never switch for anything really...i just wanted to see this topic on the xB2 page and see what you guys thought about the xB1, personally i would never buy an xB2, its nice to look at and if my mom is looking for something new i would recommend it because its a scion but thats the only reason but thats not going to happen because she is in a 2005 mercedes c230 kompressor and she loves it...im not trying to start any bad blood or anything just want to see what you people think...my bad i guess i will just go back to my original xB forum and leave you guys alone because it seems you dont get the idea i am trying to raise, sorry i wasted your time by making you read this page...i bid fare well to you sirs
Old 08-25-2007, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bubble2Box
The big question his is will the xB2 be remembered? I doubt it. It capitalized on what was good in the xB1 and grew to US size.....it's an afterthought.....
I disagree but that is why we are all individuals. I personally hated the first generation, especially after seeing the front of a release series as the result of a not-so-fast rear end job he did. Since getting my xB2, I have grown rather fond of the xb1 and kind of wish I could have both. Unfortunately, the wife has a brand new ride herself so that won't work.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DON'T GET MAD AT ME
IMO the xB2 is a vary good car from a very good auto maker. it has a strong engine and plenty of extra safty stuff,
llots of cargo space, and just en all aroung great car.

thats fine if thats what your looking for.

i got my 06.5 because it was a shaking fist against athority, it was in a different direction then any other auto maker was going. its a wild hot little tuner that even when it was stock it got all kinds of looks and questions from people that never even herd of scion.

the xB2 has jumped back to the main streem of cars, it blends in and compeats with all the other mini vans, SUVs, and such. it tried to take with it the hipe of the 1st gen, so you will see plenty of people doing rims, lowering, and CAI, ect, ect, ect

its not the same!
its not a 1st gen it never will be.
tricking out a 2nd gen is like tricking out en 87' chevy nova ( when it was new ) have you ever see en 87' nova.

try putting a 4" hood scoop, and big wide tires on the rear of that front wheel drive 4 banger.

just because it hase the nova name dosent mean it a muscle car.

Just because the xB2 hase the xB name dosn't mean its a tuner.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since you asked.....

I think the xB1 is ugly. That, and it screams 16 year old's first car to me. It gives me the impression of being juvenile. Again, that's just my own thoughts, and as long as it pleases the owner, that's all that matters.

I do think that Toyota made the new xB lose it's edge, in order to broaden appeal. And that's good. It turned me into a buyer.

I would also agree that the ratio of modded vs. stock will likely be higher for the xB1 as opposed to the xB2. Again, I think it is in fact attracting a more mature audience.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I loved my 06.5 xB, there were several things that bugged me about it:

The interior didn't come together with its yellow dial illumination, amber LCD illumination, and white speedo. It looked bad. I was forced to mod all the colors to a single color.

The rear bumper was flimsy. It felt like any weight on it would cause something to give, and for having as much cargo room as it had this seemed odd to me.

106hp just was not enough for me. I dont race around, but its good to be able to get some quick speed when you're merging on a freeway or needing to pass a camper on the way to the beach.

The 2008xB has addressed all these issues for me. The interior is great, and modern. The lighting is all the same so it looks good at night. The new engine is quite able, especially with Seq shifting, to get me up to speed or past a camper.

Most of all, the car on a drop with 19" and limo tint looks aggressive. As soon as some better looking tails come out it'll be perfect.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the xB1 is a cool car.. I ffreaked out when i saw my first one & it grew on me ever since.. It was around the beginning of the year that I formulated my plan to buy one.. An xB1...
Wait for spring/// sell the pontoon boat. & the mini van & buy a new xB!!! Cool idea!.. well Spring came & I hear about a new body style... WOW , Then i see one on the web.....
hhhmmmmm "I like the old one better", I say.
Then the boat sells first week of June & i sart to search for my new car.. Wel. cannot get a new xb1... dammmnnnnn.. I am looking at used ones... 05's- 06's & stuff.... crap. for just a grand more I could geta new one I figgure with a neat warrenty!.. It went right up till 2 days when i went to visit a dealer.. I was this close to a 'toss up'.... & decided.. what the hell.. I'll be the first to get a new one in my area.
NEVER in my life did I realize that after I joined this forum & the local STL forum here that I even knew of a dislike of the xB2 by first gen owners..
I've gotten more than a few jokers replying to questions I put out in the xB section of the fourm, because it's not segregated like this one here is..
Allin all. I like the first gen xB & wish i could have found a brand spanking new one in 6/08 when I was ready to buy.
I didnt 'setttle' for an 08... just took me a while to convince myself to get one. A decision I don't regret! I like this one too!!!... jh
Old 08-26-2007, 12:55 AM

Bought my xB2 about 2 months ago. I looked at leftover xB1s and new xB2s. The first gen had a cooler vibe, lousy ride, felt flimsy and has crappy acceleration. The xB2 wasn't quite as cool looking but had a much nicer ride, more power, was safer, and felt studier. It was a no brainer for me. I will choose substance over style everyday of the week.

The plus is that I still like the way the xB2 looks over just about anything else on the road.

MIke
Old 08-26-2007, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Again, I disagree with the 2nd generation having no appeal. I have got TONS of questions from grandmas, youngsters, and everyone/type in between. The xB1 has it's coolness, but the xB2 works better for ME. I am not gonna flame out on the xB1 either, neat ride that built a solid foundation for those of us that like the 2nd gen better. So thanks Gen 1 folks
Old 08-26-2007, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know one thing,my hot lava still turnig heads and people telling me how nice it looks.and until they don't come with a nice color and put two back up lights then i will think to purchase one.mayby i think abuot it.i still prefer my HOT LAVA and i tell you it look's tide.ATT:KOOLBOX OF North palm beach.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

see this is how i wanted the topic to go...i am not bashing the xB2, i just want to know what you people liked about the xB1 and dis liked about it...thanks for bringing this topic back to life...
Old 08-26-2007, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Myself and many people I know appreciated the xB1 for it's quirky, boxyness but liked the idea far better than the actual execution. I didn't like the xB1 and could never see myself buying one. This on top of it's anemic engine and slightly-too-small-for-my-taste size. When I first saw the t2B concept I thought to myself, that looks like the xB1 as redone by a competent modern designer. Seeing the final 2008 xB design and how closely it followed the t2B concept had me thinking to myself, I've found my next car. The xB2 captures the same slighty left of center thinking as the xb1 but brings it together into a more cohesive overall design that is at once boxy-yet-fluid, aggressive, and thoroughly modern in it's execution.

When I told most people that I was getting and xB they all said the same thing. "Ugh not that ugly little box." Yes, I get that people either love it or hate it. But once I showed them the new xB they all thought it was very cool looking but retained the originals overall fun factor not to mention practicality.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:29 AM

Back in 2005 I was shopping for a new car, and I was looking at the xB1. I loved the boxiness, the quirkiness, and all the usual qualities that most people who own them and love them cite when talking about how great it is. But I had a hard time dealing with the lack of horsepower and it's size.

However, when it came time to make a decision, the tC debuted, and I was sold. I've loved my tC, and still do, but I've already ordered an xB2 because it corrected all the things I felt were lacking in the first one. Sure, it's not AS boxy, but I wouldn't call it mainstream. From those that I know who own one, it still turns heads and spurs curious questions. I just feel that it's more polished.

That's not to say that it's bad. It's just different. Of course, that's what Scion is supposed to be about. I still like the xB1, but the xB2 is the version that suits my needs and my taste best.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought my 06 XB because it was different. There was nothing like it on the road. It was very easy to mod it. And the basic structure of just a basic car left it wide open for ideas. The down fall for me and my 06 is the lack of go. It costs to much to make it go. So I am trading in my 06 on an 08. So, I ordered a silver 08. It will be here this week. I will miss my 06. But not that much.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sadly, I never owned a 1st gen Xb, couldn't get my hands on one to save my life when I was looking to buy. THat's when I found the BCP Xa, I had a great time with it, unfortunately is was overshadowed by the Xb as far as goodies to mod with. So after 3 years (and a ton of miles) I walked back into the dealer and took the XB2 for a ride. I bought it when I got back. As for the complain of lack of add ons/mods/tuner goodies, keep in mind, the car has only been out how long? There's plenty of things in development (use that search button kids). On here alone I've seen Turbos, intakes, suspension toys, gauges, supercharger etc..I think the Xb2 has loads of potential and I kinda like that it dosent look like my grandma's toaster, it looks like mine

(I had to)
Old 08-26-2007, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just a note to danethegreatest. I appreciate what you tried to do here yet one word of advice. Never start a gen1, gen2 discussion with "vs."
I think of Toyota Scion like any multi personality family. one child has red hair one blonder one taller one faster one dresses better etc. No one needs to bash one because it is different. Not better just different. choose which family member you like to hang out with and respect the other family members too.
I went to toyota to buy an xb. I had no idea that the body style had changed. I tested and bought my xb2. Still there are things I like better on each. Kind of wish I had both like another poster has. Be cool apreciate each unique body style. Be family.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:34 AM
5 Year Member

I just depends on the type of person. Everyone is different.
I never liked the xb1. But when the xb2 came out, I had to have it. Traded my 05 TC for it. Now that I have it, I am starting to like the look of the xb1. If I could, I would own them both.
Its like music, different types of music work for different types of people.
Besides, its a Scion (toyota). Great car, cool looking, reliable and you can always count on scion making something that looks different.

I do disagree with the people who said the xb2 is "just another car on the road". I feel it is very unique and get looks and questions all the time.

Both cars are great, just depends on who is driving them.

Quick Reply: xB2 Vs. xB1