Notices

2012 TRD lowering springs and suspension worth adding?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 01:26 AM

Default 2012 TRD lowering springs and suspension worth adding?

Hi everyone, my name is Jay and new to SL.

I'm planning to pick up a 2012 xB for work and was wondering if the TRD shocks and springs worth adding on. I'm more of a tech guy than a car guy and I know "performance items" by manufacturer oftentimes are not the best bang for your buck. Maybe that's different for cars so I was wondering if the TRD lowering springs and shocks are worth adding vs. the plethora of options out there.

I know if I purchase lowering springs and shocks of my own I would have to pay someone to install them for me and their warranty won't be as good compared to having them preinstalled by the dealer.

Who's the OEM for TRD springs and shocks if any? and how do they compare to other aftermarket options? TIA
Old 02-11-2013, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What kind of work will the car be doing?
Old 02-11-2013, 02:25 AM

Mostly onsite computer work and occasional Ikea shopping.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't get those TRD parts, unless you can find them new for a cheap price. I'd go with Tokico blues and maybe some nf springs.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:29 PM

Are you implying it would be cheaper (incl. labor) if I went with the Tokico and NF springs?
Old 02-11-2013, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OpTicaL
Hi everyone, my name is Jay and new to SL.

I'm planning to pick up a 2012 xB for work and was wondering if the TRD shocks and springs worth adding on. I'm more of a tech guy than a car guy and I know "performance items" by manufacturer oftentimes are not the best bang for your buck. Maybe that's different for cars so I was wondering if the TRD lowering springs and shocks are worth adding vs. the plethora of options out there.

I know if I purchase lowering springs and shocks of my own I would have to pay someone to install them for me and their warranty won't be as good compared to having them preinstalled by the dealer.

Who's the OEM for TRD springs and shocks if any? and how do they compare to other aftermarket options? TIA
If you dont really want to do yourself the I would highly advise for you to just do TRD stuff so that its done right and you'll have the warranty to back you. The install is free when ordering it from the toyota so get what you want.....maybe a spoiler too!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Shadezz
If you dont really want to do yourself the I would highly advise for you to just do TRD stuff so that its done right and you'll have the warranty to back you. The install is free when ordering it from the toyota so get what you want.....maybe a spoiler too!!!
I don't have as much time as I'd used to and was looking for a set-it-and-forget-it hassle free setup. I'm sure there are better performing parts for the price but I don't want to be stuck without a car if I need to go in for warranty repair. Most likely I'll tack on the VSA warranty as well.

I started to look at the TRD option after I saw how much they were offering their 19" wheel option. I was looking at their 19s, but for $2150 I'd rather get a spoiler, fog lights, lowering springs and struts, strut bar and sway bar for $400 more ($2522). I'll pick up wheels when the factory rubber wears out and putting on new wheels (most likely 18s) is something I can do.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is my 2012 on TRD lowered springs, rear sway bar and front strut brace. I wish this particular cell-phone photgraphy reflected a lower-angled "glamour shot".
But I absolutely fn love the improved handling.
And I saw no need to ditch OEM shocks when dealer installed at point-of-sale. I (temporarily) added the TRD wheels and tires because I bought them third-hand for $450 from a forum member; going to 17" dia because of the tire-sidewall ride improvement when rubber dies soon.
Name:  EverydayDriver2012_zpsd2111156.jpg
Views: 2521
Size:  191.4 KB
15 months and 15,000 miles later, after a few other aestetic external and some serious intake/exhaust mods, I am still very happy particularly with these discounted parts from TRDSparks.com, which local Toyota dealership may grumble at (I gave them opportunity to match price + free Cyber-Friday shipping and NO TAX) but maintains Toyota-installed warranty.

This is my everyday driver and it's never bottomed out on suspension with un-reserved former-racer-spirited urban driving (yes, I acknowledge I'm not THAT agressive fitment and/or coil-over+ low), though I'm now working on addressing extra-powered wheel hop. These TRD 19"s were +45mm offset; for your planned 18" wheels, go with at least +35mm offset for better stance.

Last edited by GDubya; 02-13-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
Team Sushi
SL Member

looking good
Old 02-13-2013, 11:49 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

TRD suspension mods are well worth it.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:15 AM

Nice, thanks for the feedback. I enjoy going fast around corners sometimes without the feeling of excessive understeer.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:19 AM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

If you add them one at a time, you will feel how each one helps (as I did).

I first started with the lowering springs, made a huge difference with the terrible body roll.
I then added the rear sway bar a few months later and it really made the xb oversteer very nicely. A year later I added the trd shocks and it what a difference it made in stiffness and the shock/rebound vs oem shocks worked much better. And finally about a year ago I added the trd strut bar and it stiffened up the steering a bit. I always thought strut bars were gimmicks, bit there is a noticeable difference.

All TRD suspension parts work amazing together. Well worth the money.