Notices

aftermarket springs for my application

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member

Question aftermarket springs for my application

I am looking to drop 1-2" on 2nd gen xB, but unsure which spring set would be best for me...... actually, I think they are 1" in the front, and 1.5" in the rear. Not looking to slam, this is my primary vehicle, hence the desire for near-stock ride.

I want to keep a near stock ride, that's my #1 goal. The TRD springs look interesting - how do they ride?

I'm also looking to get some information from the SERVICE MANUAL, most likely the Suspension and possibly the Brakes sections. I don't think I have the complete service manual on CD, but knowing which sections are needed to swap springs would be helpful.

oh, I'll still be wearing 16" rubber.

thanks
Old 12-30-2014, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most people tend to like the Tanabe NF210s for a modest drop and good feel over the TRDs. Personally I have no opinion since I've been stock and on air only.

Rear spring replacement is dead simple. Put the car on jack stands, remove the wheel, unbolt the shock, and pull the spring out. Install is the reverse order.

Front spring replacement is more work. Again put the car on jack stands, remove the wheel, unbolt the two lower mount bolts for the strut assembly, but leave the bolts in to support the strut, remove the three nuts on top of the strut tower under the hood, remove the bolts from the bottom of the strut and remove the strut. Use a spring compressor to hold and compress the springs, remove the nut holding the top hat on the strut, remove the top hat, un-compress the spring and remove. Install is done in the reverse order.

Last step is to get the car aligned.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member

Question

I've lowered a few S2000's and (believe it or not) an Avalon. Thanks for the tips.

Do you have to buy aftermarket rear bump stops ((poly)urethane?), to be safe on the compression side? Most OEM bump stops don't work as intended (smoosh too easily) after some years in the car.

thanks
Old 12-30-2014, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

You can replace the OEM rear bumpstops because they're on the shocks. I never did when I ran springs.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm really happy with the Tanabe NF210 springs - no aftermarket bump stops or modifications needed.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:42 AM
5 Year Member

Question Forum Sponsors?

Do you all have some allegiance to certain vendors? Also called Forum Sponsors. Sometimes they provide a discount if they are allowed for Forum members and they are free to publish somewhere in the BBS...... or is it simply who has the lowest price?

Either way, please throw some reliable vendors (of lowering kits), unless it's just a sales free for all.