Notices

Coilover NOISE/CLUNKING

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 01:40 AM

Default Coilover NOISE/CLUNKING

Just got my TEIN coilovers for my Scion XB 2011 installed from a local shop, the ride is great and all but the biggest thing right now is the noise and clanks when going slow and especially on big bumps, it's beyond annoying and aggravating. If ANYONE has any idea on how to stop this or stop it from being AS loud as it is would be GREATLY appreciated. I've read on other forums and searches on google from different coils having the same exact problem and MOST people suggest you re-tighten all 4 dampers which I will do tomorrow but i just want some other tips just in case this does not work out. Thanks again !
Old 01-19-2012, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Sell Teins, buy KSport or BC racing.

Problem fixed.

But to be of actual assistance, check the sway bar links. One or both may need to be tightened down. I've forgot about them on a couple occurances.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I'd go around make sure all the bolts are tightened, I found out that I must have forgotten to tighten the driverside with a torque wrench and I was getting a clunking sound only when I backed into my driveway. After tightening them again I no longer have that clunking sound, I am running TEIN basics too.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im having the same problem on my BCs. Haven't thought much about it until I removed one of my collars a few week back and it got much worse.. as soon as I feel like not being lazy I gotta check out the bolts.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:10 PM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

i had these problem with my Ksports but won't be your problem cuz you use stock top hat

my clunking was cuz the 4 lil bolts that slide to adjust camber on the top hats were loose
Old 01-20-2012, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check all your top hats nuts. When I first had my Teins installed on my IS300 back in the day I didn't tighten down the middle bolt that holds the top hat and coilover together. Make sure that is all the way tight and make sure the top hat three bolts on top are completely tight. Also from past racing experience the bolt on the bottom of the coilover that connected to the suspension arm make sure you put Lock Tite on the bolt. My nut came off during a race. Not fun driving home knowing that.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im having the same problem with mine, they are tein basics and they have 1 year, about 13000 miles on them and they make some god aweful noise, kinda embarrassing when pulling into parking lots and stuff, car sounds like a total ____ box, but its actually really good suspension underneath, or so i thought...wtf
Old 01-22-2012, 04:40 PM

I finally got it fixed, brought it back to the shops and the guy looked at the sway bars and added shims and that killed all the noise !
Old 02-01-2012, 04:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Shims to where? Can you take a pic I'm about to lower mine on the same setup.

Originally Posted by CCANUCKK
I finally got it fixed, brought it back to the shops and the guy looked at the sway bars and added shims and that killed all the noise !