Notices

Few questions about Air Ride for xB2

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:06 PM
SL Member

Default Few questions about Air Ride for xB2

Hello everyone, I'm debating on gettin an air ride kit for my 09 xB and I had a few questions.

1. (This is for anyone who lives where snow falls) How is it during the winter? I've had people tell me there is a great chance of the bag rupturing from the cold while driving.

2. How is the ride overall comfort wise, I currently have Ksport Street coilovers and for my settings its comfortable but still stiff and I was wondering like compared to coils or stock suspensions how easy is it to tune and get the dampening at a good level.

3. Where is a good place to mount the air compressor, my trunk is full with subwoofers and I've seen people mount it under the car.

Any help would be wonderful. Thanks guys.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

It's highly doubtful that you will rupture an air spring, even during winter months. Most air spring failures I have seen, have been from user error (i.e. excessive pressure or rubbing). Only issue that you may have, and I have personally seen, is condensation. There's always water in the air, it's humidity. This air gets compressed and enters your air tank. From there, it can get into your valves and possibly freeze them open. It has happened to me on one occasion and it kiiiinda sucks. You can run the air springs (UAS) over your existing coilovers. This would be my recommendation. You have to make sure that the bag will not spin on the perch, though. This may take some ingenuity.
Ride should be a bit nicer than the coilovers, but it's all relative to the pressure you add to the air springs.
You can mount the air compressor anywhere you want. If you want them out of sight, you can mount them behind the quarter panel trim pieces.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:45 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
It's highly doubtful that you will rupture an air spring, even during winter months. Most air spring failures I have seen, have been from user error (i.e. excessive pressure or rubbing). Only issue that you may have, and I have personally seen, is condensation. There's always water in the air, it's humidity. This air gets compressed and enters your air tank. From there, it can get into your valves and possibly freeze them open. It has happened to me on one occasion and it kiiiinda sucks. You can run the air springs (UAS) over your existing coilovers. This would be my recommendation. You have to make sure that the bag will not spin on the perch, though. This may take some ingenuity.
Ride should be a bit nicer than the coilovers, but it's all relative to the pressure you add to the air springs.
You can mount the air compressor anywhere you want. If you want them out of sight, you can mount them behind the quarter panel trim pieces.

Thank you for all the info, this is very useful and now it's just decision whether or to do it. It's still winter and I've got a few months til its warm anyway. Thanks again.

Also, can you explain the UAS thing also where it can be found aka which websites.

Last edited by Scottiwan92; 01-28-2012 at 03:00 AM. Reason: I forgot to ask about UAS