Notices

Install Only Rear Lowering Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 01:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Install Only Rear Lowering Springs?

I'd like to lower my xB slightly, but don't want to ruin the ride. The ride height in the front doesn't bother me, but the back end is so jacked up, it just looks weird.

It looks like spring kits generally lower the back end more, and a 1" difference isn't unusual. Unfortunately, it also looks like you have to buy a complete spring set, but what about just installing the rear springs? The Eibach Pro-Kit Spring set lowers the back just over an inch, which seems about right for both ride quality and appearance. Installing the rear springs is also a lot simpler than installing the fronts...which is encouraging.

Does anybody know if you can just buy a set of rear springs? Other comments, suggestions or advice..other than carrying 200 lbs of rocks in the back end?
Old 05-14-2009, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I doubt you'll be able to purchase only the rear springs.
Kind of sucks in your situation, but the Tanabe NF210's slightly lower the front. An inch, in my book, isn't much. The NF210's claim an 1" in the front and 1.7" in the rear. There's a thread on here dedicated solely to that spring. Check it out!

I know if my pops (dad's your age) scooped up an xB and wanted springs, I'd definitely get him the NF210's.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Couldn't help him out with the link, huh vegan?
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=206857
j/k

I will say that even with the mild front drop (mine ended up being 7/8"), I still need to slow down & be careful when entering or exiting driveways off of a steeply crowned road to avoid mild scraping. I didn't have to do that with the stock front springs. Rest assured that it doesn't bother me at all, but I thought you should know.

Another option might be to wait for a used set of Eibach Pro-Kit (1.2" rear drop) or TRD (1.5" rear drop) to show up in the classified forum at a great price, so it won't hurt so much to buy a full set and then only use the rear springs. I've seen a number of owners that went with a mild drop at first, then decided to go crazy with the mods, and a greater drop, after getting more into the Scion craze.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:31 AM
Scikotics
SL Member

I looked for a couple weeks for just the rear TRD springs and I couldnt find anything. I ended up buying a barely used full set from the Scionlife Classifieds for 150.00 shipped. Thats the best I could find. And now I have two front springs I can use for paperweights, or bookends perhaps...
Old 05-20-2009, 11:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by iamham
I looked for a couple weeks for just the rear TRD springs and I couldnt find anything. I ended up buying a barely used full set from the Scionlife Classifieds for 150.00 shipped. Thats the best I could find. And now I have two front springs I can use for paperweights, or bookends perhaps...
any pics? wondering what it would like with just the rear lowered.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by jingjing
any pics? wondering what it would like with just the rear lowered.
...and are you satisfied with the ride/performance?
Old 05-20-2009, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I rode my xB with just the rear springs installed for a week or two until I took it in to get the fronts installed. With the NF210's, the ride was basically level front to back. Ride was fine, but the "angle" of the car was unique. Since the back was much lower, when looking out the rear-view mirror you basically have an angle down to the cement. Not that bad, but when the front ones were installed it went back to normal. If anything, find a spring with a drop at 1.5 or less and do it with that spring, any more, and the ride just feels unbalanced.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Scikotics
SL Member

I have new wheels, tires, and the springs to put on some time before June 6th. When I do I will post pics.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:55 AM
Scikotics
SL Member

Heres some crappy phone pics i took after i did it today. my TRD springs were already broke in bc i bought them used.

i will measure it and take better pics when i get my wheels on this week...

Old 06-01-2009, 10:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by iamham
Heres some crappy phone pics i took after i did it today. my TRD springs were already broke in bc i bought them used.

i will measure it and take better pics when i get my wheels on this week...

looks great with just the rear springs. now i have to find some
Old 06-10-2009, 01:25 PM

Please post when your done. I have an Xb on 20's and want to drop it. I have 2.5" of clearance in the front and 3.5" in the back. Someone posted the S-tech offer a drop of 1.7 and others say its only 1.25.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was gonna do the same. I was gonna drop just the rear on DF springs bc it would give me a 2in drop and I'm running the 5axis kit and did not want to scrape the front lip, but i could not find any used kits just for the rear springs.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The rear wheel arch is only about 1.5" higher than the front when riding on the stock springs, so DF springs on just the rear would end up dropping it lower than the front... probably not a good look. If you're only putting rear springs in, I'd look for TRD or Eibach Pro-Kit. Probably easiest to find a set of used TRDs and just put in the rears.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i realize it sounds bad or goofy, but thats how i would roll around in my bagged truck. the front would be higher than the back, and i would be tuckin in the back..i liked how it looked..then again i've never tried it on a passenger car.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

I clearly lack photography skills, but anyway...

Rear:

Front:

Side:

Cant see $hit:

Tenzo DC-6 Version 1 Charcoal 18x8 with Toyo Proxes 4 235/45/18

Sitting on stock front springs and TRD rear springs. No rubbing.

Height from tire to fender at center is 1.5 inches for front and rear. The TRD springs I got were slighlty used, and I have put over 1000 miles on them, so looks like it turned out perfect!

Kudos to Cionide for helping me figure everything out on this odd setup I wanted...
Old 06-14-2009, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Happy to help; but when you shoot pictures you need to have the sun at your back, not shining into the camera. Please go outside, take new pictures, and edit your post...
NOW!

j/k
Old 06-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

lesson learned...