Notices

ksport coilovers onwers. Can someone help me

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ksport coilovers onwers. Can someone help me

Can someone do a how to guide for the ksport coilovers and how they adjusted it. Mine didnt come with a manual or anything. also theres are 4 rubber bushing like things and 2 flat bars that has a hole on one end and a wrench like thing on the other. i dont know what to do with that.

I know how install coilovers but ive never installed fully adjustable ones before.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome back RoboX, haven't seen any postings from you in a while.

Did you get a new SW xB?
Old 05-17-2008, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup! Just got it the other week. Ordered all the parts and there on there way. Just got the coilovers in. But has a few pieces I've never seen before
Old 05-17-2008, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrat's on finally getting everything worked out, I hope it was to your complete satisfaction.

Now you can look at the first one as a practice xB. I'm sure you'll get this one up to snuff in no time. (Uh... unintended bad pun, sorry.)
Old 05-19-2008, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no one? if someone can take a pic of the fronts for me would be awesome
Old 05-19-2008, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Which pieces are you talkin about?

EDIT: I know these aren't the coilovers for our cars, but it was the first pic I found with tools
Old 05-20-2008, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think i found out what its for. that lil black bar on the bottom left. are those for the brake lines? where do they mount to? and what should it look like i i dump the car i know that the bottom mount can rotate up and down should i move it as high up as i can?
Old 05-20-2008, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea the black things are for the brake lines. it looks like one end has a bolt going through it and the other end (open end) is for the brake line. they are pretty bendable so just bend it so that it places the brake line in the approx location of stock.

as for height level coilovers should be done in a shop because youre going to have to bring it up and down to make sure you have the right height. first dont adjust the preload (coils) and adjust the body to approximately the stock height or about 1~2inches lower. then work your way down from there. thats what ive done for a bunch of cars and it hasnt failed me yet
Old 05-20-2008, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok robo box since you refuse to take my advice there is alot of variables with a car the best way to do it is trial and error i have had my wheels on and off about 20 times to get the dialed in put them on where you think they will work best take the car off the jack let it come down see how much higher you want it to go and adjust to the level you want just dont pre load the springs or you will get whicked bounce and spring pop
Old 05-20-2008, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hahah sorry coryjames. no ill end up just goin for it. just trying to know everything that i can before i do it and hopefully save myself a lil time from adjusting. i appreciate all the info tho. my car got hit so im gonna hold off from lowering it until thats finished.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dang your car got hit you dont have the best luck do you lol the reason i say it is my friend got ksports and i set them up like mine and they werent close to mine dont know why
Old 06-07-2008, 07:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok so i just imstalled them. the ride is ok its kinda bouncy. i turned it all the way to SOFT. I thought it would be a lil more smooth then this....unless i adjusted it wrong. tell me if i did it wron but i made the front struts about 13" long not sure how much in the back. another weird thing i notice it when im jacking up the car from the front side jack up point it lifts up both front and rear wheels off the ground with not that much hight on the jack. kinda weird to me
Old 06-07-2008, 07:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its cause you have the limit set in the rear so that the springs dont fall out thats how mine is to and all the way soft will be bouncy turn it up alot more or you will bouce your frame off the ground
Old 06-09-2008, 07:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok ill keep playing around with them. Also i read that i should adjust the shocks to about the same height as factory is that correct? if so i didnt do any adjusting to the rears kinda just threw them in. will that effect the ride?
Old 06-10-2008, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry for being out of topic... RoboX, where did you get this shocks? And how much they are? Thanks.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey how did they turn out and if you want the ksports go through drflickner he has them the cheapest or did when i got mine around xmas
Old 06-20-2008, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I few things I figured out about my Ksports when the buzz wore off.

The front springs I have about four turns tighter then where the instructions suggested setting. When the are too loose you will hear a rattle going over speed bumps at low speed.

The rear springs adjutable seat comes with a large washer and bolt. This I removed to place the seat and spring on the bottom spring rest and I used the bolt and large washer to hold the assembly in place from beneath. Actually I first drove around without the bolt in place for several days without incedent, then when the buz set back in I realized that the bolt had a pupose after all.

I used a dial caliper to set the left and right spring seats and struts by measuring the threads below the lock rings.
Mine were sllightly off and it made the car feal soft on one corner.

I had to cut a hole in the metal above the front strut, however, the plastic clears so nothing shows from above. Water will drip through this hole and cause surface rust on the bearing races in the pillow ball mount. For now I place plastic foam rap over the strut adjustment tool when I wash the car and on the odd ocassion when It rains.

To get mine level and "low" I set the front strut so the bottom of the silver strut tube is 1 3/4" above the bottom of the black lock ring cilinder. The rear spring seat had 1/2" of threads to bottom out. Adjusting the rear strut was a real pain, they have some ratio you use where something like one third on the strut rod is in the cilinder when the car is on the ground. So now that your car is two inches off the ground you need to crawl under and reach up next to the wheel to measure the exposed strutt rod, ouch!

I ran it at DezodWest, my qualifying time was 33rd out of 57and it was my first time at a race track. Many a mazda, honda, and nissan owner new what it felt like to watch a box drive on the track ahead of them on that day.

I hope this was of help. I think it mine is close now. If anyone reads this and thinks, wow that is way off, or knows an easier way to make adjustments, please let me know.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

All I can say is play with them. I got mine in and adjusted pretty quick. This is the second set for me on two different vehciles though. So I knew what I was going against. I got mine in there and had to do a couple adjustments. Mine rides pretty smooth but still handles damn good. I run mine about the center of soft and hard. You use the bottom perch of the front strut to raise and lower the vehicle. I got mine real close to where I wanted it and then used the spring to get the last little bit of fine tuning.
Time is the key. You will drive it and find that you want to raise or lower the car alittle too. Mine had very little settling also. I still have the measurements written down and there has been little to no sagging at all.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whats the rate on your spring no limits and this is mine with coilovers i had to lift it a little but its still pretty low i hit every speed bump i go over

i hit every thing kinda a pita but its worth it