New rotors and pads, strange noise? - Scionlife.com

Notices

New rotors and pads, strange noise?

Old 01-13-2011, 06:13 AM
SL Member

Default New rotors and pads, strange noise?

Today I installed cross drilled/slotted rotors with centric posi-quiet ceramic brake pads. Now when I am braking from speeds above about 15 mph I get this strange whistling/ticking noise, the closest thing I can relate the noise to is putting a card in a bicycle spoke. Is this due to the drilled/slotted rotors? Or did I do something wrong? Nothing feels strange when I brake, in fact it feels a lot better than stock and stops really well. The noise is pretty faint and can only be heard with the windows down. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xbBrian View Post
Today I installed cross drilled/slotted rotors with centric posi-quiet ceramic brake pads. Now when I am braking from speeds above about 15 mph I get this strange whistling/ticking noise, the closest thing I can relate the noise to is putting a card in a bicycle spoke. Is this due to the drilled/slotted rotors? Or did I do something wrong? Nothing feels strange when I brake, in fact it feels a lot better than stock and stops really well. The noise is pretty faint and can only be heard with the windows down. Thanks in advance.

Yup... I installed some d/s rotors as well, instantly heard the clicking sound. Thought it would go away after they got bedded in or properly adjusted. 5000 miles later, still clicking. If i drive next to a wall, I can hear the sound echo off the wall and back into the cabin... which gets annoying. I just turn up the music and rev the motor high so i dont hear the rotors clicking.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome to slotted rotors. They always maked that sound since you are scraping the pad over an open slot.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had Powerslot cryo treated rotors on my old bmw and never heard any sort of clicking/ticking....even with the top down/windows open.

What direction are your slots facing?
Old 01-18-2011, 06:54 AM
AlphaSquad
SL Member

sounds like they didnt taper thier cuts on the rotors...

mine dont make that noise and they have a slight taper to the walls on the slots.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

True the tapered ones are a lot better but even they have some noise, just nothing compared to un-tapered ones. I just turn up the stereo.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
Welcome to slotted rotors. They always maked that sound since you are scraping the pad over an open slot.
Ehh I wouldn't say they should do that. I have had multiple cars both low end to higher end cars I have either owned or driven. Both slotted,drilled and never had that issue. Sounds like just low quality rotors IMO.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've always had some noise with slotted rotors and I've done them on my last 5 cars. The better quality ones had very little noise, I would have to roll the windows down and drive near a curb to hear it but it was there. I've also done cheaper slotted rotors and the noise was very loud, but you get what you pay for.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:07 PM
SL Member

The rotors were purchased from r1Concepts.com, They seem to be pretty well made and they use centric premium rotors for their slotted/drilled rotors. Is there anything else that can be causing the noise? Like maybe I put something on wrong or didnt tighten something down enough?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

i've had that sound for years on my rotors, with both stock and aftermarket pads..
i like ur description i've been saying it sounds like grading cheese