Notices

Okay, crazy question and observation about coilovers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 07:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Okay, crazy question and observation about coilovers.

So,

I know I wanna lower my new SW, with coilovers. I pretty much know all those that are available out there. I have read a bunch of the debates. What I have noticed is that I have seen ksports being one of the cheapest priced, but some people have been have problems with older versions. With JIC, TEIN, CUSCO, being more of the top of the line.
My thing is, besides loving the style of the Xb, I sold my Z4 cause I needed a family oriented vehicle that I could still customize, and that people would stop challenging me to races. Besides the fact too, that I loved my Z4 for canyon carving. But I no longer wanna do that, kind of hard with kids in the car. Two, I drive less than 200 miles a week on average. So with all these different coilover brands available, and the debate over which ones could be better, is it possible that the higher priced brands are more for drifing, and other race sport driving. While the so called, lower end, brands being better for daily driving.
I was leaning towards the ksports, due to price I have seen them under or around 900 bucks, and cause I also like the orangish color, but I am worried about their reliability, but if I spend the money on a better brand, am I looking at a stiffer ride that I don't want for a daily driver. Thoughts, and opinions, would be welcomed.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

coryjames has been on his K-Sports for well over a year, same with NoLimitzInd. I'm sure there's more. They're a decent brand from my observations. Seems like there's got to be someone that has to throw the brand under the bus because something has happened to someone they know. Thing is, if the brand was bad they wouldn't be around, right? If their product was so poor that everything that they have manufactured failed, they wouldn't make any money.

Few bad apples out there. I'm going to get K-Sports for many reasons. Main reason is a UAS bag will fit over it. :D
Old 07-11-2009, 10:38 AM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Search google for ksport coilover reviews. I've spent a few hours reading them from other forums and Im glad I saved my money. Either wait for Tein to come out with a set or cough up the money for Cusco coilovers.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:57 AM

im currently on ksports for about 1 year now and so far the shocks are not blown but the car feels bouncy instead of the sturdy stiff feeling i had the first few months of having the coilovers
Old 07-11-2009, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so to break it down in more general terms:

Ksports equipment is pretty much aimed at the budget enthusiast who wants to get some drop and coilover handling. they make coils for tons of cars and i know a lot of people use them for budget racers/track days. however, they don't offer as much adjustability or as many "options", if you will, as the higher price brands. if you think you would want to keep your coils on for a long long time, Ksports might not be the way to go.

the big boys, such as Tein, Cusco, JIC, etc ... cost more for a reason (i'm sure you know). they have more R&D thrown at them and with better materials/manufacturing processes. their coils are going to be for the enthusiast who can afford the higher price but will expect to get a more straightforward installation and out-of-the-box handling awesomeness. plus, they provide more support for their products. the higher price or whatever doesn't indicate whether they're for drifting or autocross, to an extent. each brand makes different coil setups for different purposes, and the prices will vary based upon how complicated and how adjustable those setups get.

if it were me, i'd save a bit more and get the ones that will do the job right.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default KSport Coilovers

Wanted to add. as I'm contemplating purchasing KSport BBK for front & rear of my 08 XB, that I had from the moment I bought my car TRD struts and springs added to my ride and having nothing but great reviews. I've had my XB a little over 18 months and the ride is as good today as it was when I first bought my car. Not bouncy and yet not completely stiff and I too drive my car around 200 miles a week daily driving. I had given thought to buying KSport coilovers but then thought if it ain't broke don't fix it. My car has some get up and go (TRD S/C,Strupp headers,TRD CAI) so I can keep up with some of the young guys out there but also perfect as I do have a 5 yr old little girl that I drive around. Not to say that the KSports aren't any good, I'm sure they are but I thought I'd add some thoughts to an alternative that works/feels great on my XB. Good luck on your research/hunt and let us know how it goes.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess I'm confused a bit. I have been looking to lower the Xb with new springs, NF210's to be exact. This will provide a better look and really good ride.

If when you say "coilover" you are talking about a complete spring & strut packedge, then I would ask why do you need that? If your just talking about lowering springs, then the $900 you quoted seems WAY out of line. The NF210 spring set is around $200 +/-.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

RC-PILOT, coilovers are the complete setup. they replace your spring and strut assemblies. Coilover setups are more aggressive than purely spring replacements, as the springs and shocks are designed to work together and provide a much greater degree of drop (usually ranging from 1-3 inches), adjustability of height, more aggressive handling, etc ... they are good for people looking for a more performance oriented suspension setup (i.e - for the track).

for the OP, as RC-PILOT points out, coilovers might be aggressive for a daily driver, and just replacing the springs will probably be more comfortable in terms of ride quality. however, if you're really looking for a coilover set, then as i said before ....
Old 07-18-2009, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can someone post some links to good vendors from Coilovers other than Ksports?
Seems that that's all I can find..